or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Soleil chair at Tremblant very dangerous.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Soleil chair at Tremblant very dangerous.

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I reported earlier in the summer how the La Soleil quad chair was all torn appart at the base. Well it's put back together and I went to see what they did. I was shocked. Bolts missing everywhere. Bad welds used to hold things together that bolts are supposed to. It's really bad. Follow this link for the pictures.

http://kokotele.proboards18.com/inde... 977831&page=1
post #2 of 17
Pretty shocking! Have you reported this to a government inspection agency?

Here, we have theme park rides inspected now because of the high accident rate.
post #3 of 17
I predict this thread will devolve into a debate over government regulation and our litigious society.
post #4 of 17
Welds usually fail though fatigue in repeated cycles and vibration. It should take a while before it breaks. Since I'm married to a lawyer, I won't tell you how long.
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraw
I predict this thread will devolve into a debate over government regulation and our litigious society.
Trembland is in Canada, so it's kind of a different story than in the States.
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraw
I predict this thread will devolve into a debate over government regulation and our litigious society.
That sounds like libel. You'll be hearing from my lawyer.
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki
Pretty shocking! Have you reported this to a government inspection agency?

Here, we have theme park rides inspected now because of the high accident rate.
I will send my pictures to the proper authorities tomorrow. But my butt won't be on that chair. I'm going to hike and check out the rest tomorrow as well. That's pretty bad though.
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerBoy
Trembland is in Canada, so it's kind of a different story than in the States.
Yep in the states it would be on the 6pm news. Not here though. Somebody has to get hurt first unfortunately.
post #9 of 17
How can this be? It's the #1 resort in the east!
When we were there last in 2002, the Soliel chair broke down and we had to hike out on the access trail. As I remember it was broken for the rest of the stay.
It's OK, I have no plans to go back. I enjoy the skiing at Tremblant, but hate the crowds, the attitude of management, and the Disneyland village. Now that they are ruining the North Side also, any appeal it had is gone.
post #10 of 17
I'm thru with tremblant too ! been going there for ten yrs and am fed up with the vibe and now that the Nortside is going Disneyworld too --Au Revoir baby !
post #11 of 17

Disney Tremblant

The lift issue all agree is simply intolerable. Riding the chair should not be the risky part of your day.

As per the so called Disney village, I for one love the village atmosphere at Tremblant. Compare to other eastern resorts.

Tremblant = Top notch accomodations and lots of great places to eat albiet a tad expensive. The food at the top of Tremblant (cafeteria) is superior to the better restraunts at other hills.

Sunday River = Crappy accomodations, apres not even close to Tremblant. Limited places to eat. Lunch is greasy pub food, but no less expensive than quality food at Tremblant.

Sugarloaf = great ski hill, with accomodations and food superior to the Rivah. But the accomodations and food are not even close to Tremblant.

Granted Tremblant can be crowded. It has good skiing, but not as good as the Rivah or the Loaf. It depends on how much weight you put on each factor when weighing your total exprience. I for one would take Tremblant over Sunday River on most days, but I still go to SR. The Loaf and Tremblant are a toss up. I love both, but for different reasons.

I don't accept the anti Tremblant disney stuff about the village as intrawest, IMHO, has most other hills beat when it comes to accomodating and serving quality to customers at the base of the hill.

my 2 cents
post #12 of 17
I personally haven't been up to Tremblant (I almost booked a trip there last year, but decided to just go with VT instead due to time and money concerns). What I read about the place disturbs me a bit though. It does sound like it offers up the most "complete" resort of any in the east. But the skiing sounds like it suffers due to it.

I don't see how this place can have the trail system to support the amount of people who they cater to. Reading that they are going to build a second village also. Where the hell are all of these other people going to ski? On top of each other?

I personally really want to go up to Quebec this winter, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go check out the Eastern Townships area (figure I can backdoor over to Jay while I'm there also). Tremblant, whatever...

-Craig
post #13 of 17
Hey Craig, an advice if you want to visit Québec...Eastern Townships has some realy good skiing but Québec City can be a realy good destination too...you have Mont-Sainte-Anne (30 minutes from downtown) or Le Massif (1hr from downtown or 20 minutes from Mont-Sainte-Anne)...you have 2 excellent station, realy good for the skiing, Le Massif is also spectacular because you have the St-Lawrence River right in front of you...and the snow is good at both (Le massif and Ste-anne are crowded during week-ends but if you come by week you surely will have the mountain just for because there's not yet a lot of accomodation at the base...)

Staying near Le Massif (at Baie-St-Paul ) can be a realy good experience because the food in this village is realy good..so some nights in Québec City (worth the visit as it's charming during winter) and 1 or 2 in the Charlevoix region and you'll have at my opinion a better ski trip (especialy for the snow conditions) than Tremblant (which is for rich montrealers or international tourism...)

hope it helps a little!
ciao
nicolas
n.b. quebec city is 2h30 north of montreal...not that bad!
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic_okcomputer
Hey Craig, an advice if you want to visit Québec...Eastern Townships has some realy good skiing but Québec City can be a realy good destination too...you have Mont-Sainte-Anne (30 minutes from downtown) or Le Massif (1hr from downtown or 20 minutes from Mont-Sainte-Anne)...you have 2 excellent station, realy good for the skiing, Le Massif is also spectacular because you have the St-Lawrence River right in front of you...and the snow is good at both (Le massif and Ste-anne are crowded during week-ends but if you come by week you surely will have the mountain just for because there's not yet a lot of accomodation at the base...)

Staying near Le Massif (at Baie-St-Paul ) can be a realy good experience because the food in this village is realy good..so some nights in Québec City (worth the visit as it's charming during winter) and 1 or 2 in the Charlevoix region and you'll have at my opinion a better ski trip (especialy for the snow conditions) than Tremblant (which is for rich montrealers or international tourism...)
Thanks for the tip. It'd be pushing an 8 hour drive for me I think to get all the way up there, but I have heard it's another interesting area to head up to. Just curious, how English friendly is Quebec City and the surrounding area? Part of the Eastern Townships appeal to me is that it sounds like they cater to a ton of American tourism.

-Craig
post #15 of 17
I went to Tremblant 2 years ago. It was nice. The skiing is not as good as Jay or Stowe, but one of the posts above was right the food and Apre are better than most east coast places. I went during the week though, I an sure it is very crowded on weekends.
post #16 of 17
tjbrk- There has got to be an interesting story as to why you are constantly hating on Tremblant. I'm not saying its not deserved; ...care to share?
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic_okcomputer
Hey Craig, an advice if you want to visit Québec...Eastern Townships has some realy good skiing but Québec City can be a realy good destination too...you have Mont-Sainte-Anne (30 minutes from downtown) or Le Massif (1hr from downtown or 20 minutes from Mont-Sainte-Anne)...you have 2 excellent station, realy good for the skiing, Le Massif is also spectacular because you have the St-Lawrence River right in front of you...
Agree 100% , I haven’t been to MSA and Le Massif in four years but I see they built a new lodge at the top of LeMassif and a new quad chair – recommend you go in March (can be cold and windy in January, but good vertical – around 2600’). If you stay in QC, there are some great restaurants.

http://www.lemassif.com/en/

http://www.quebecregion.com/e/restau...earch&lnPage=1

As for Tremblant, I think the Soleil chair is certainly not new – it used to be the main chair on the south side (where the gondola is now) so its pretty old.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Soleil chair at Tremblant very dangerous.