EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Head Monster iM88 is TSFS's ski of the year...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Head Monster iM88 is TSFS's ski of the year...

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I just thought I would pass along this info. This is indeed a great ski! I tried to get a personal pair all spring and was unsuccessful, but mine should be showing up in the next month or so. The ski is a bulldozer in the crud, yet as stable and solid as anything I have found for such a wide, powerful ski (although admittedly I haven't skied the Top Fuel from Nordica yet...)
post #2 of 20
I'm looking forward to getting mine.
post #3 of 20
Is there any place to order these yet? What about sizing? Anyone have any suggestions? I'm 5'11'' at 165lbs.
post #4 of 20
I also may be interested in purchasing a pair of iM88s. Same questions as Max. I'm about 5'8", 160 lbs. I was thinking 175 cm?
post #5 of 20
The Head website itself is pretty useful on ski length reccomendation, have a look.
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc gledhill
The Head website itself is pretty useful on ski length reccomendation, have a look.
Hahaha....that thing's funny.

Note: people wanting a Im88 typically don't ues product selectors.

You guys above, in the 160 lb range should be on the 175, unless you're particularly strong and skilled.
post #7 of 20
product selectors are for Chavs.
post #8 of 20
In case you were wondering...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by John J
In case you were wondering...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav
Thank you, I was.
Is Missoula in the UK then ?
post #10 of 20
Same housing costs as Central London?
post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_501
Is there any place to order these yet? What about sizing? Anyone have any suggestions? I'm 5'11'' at 165lbs.
Interesting on the length: my pre-season catalogue indicates sizing of 170/177/181, not the 164/175/186. I was only able to get very limited time on this ski in less than ideal conditions (spring hardpack) so I am not the best authority yet on sizing (I will know more in by Dec 1st!) but I would say that 175-ish is the most versatile length for most people (I am 150lbs or so and I would buy it, for comparison I ski the 180 i-GS RD). 165 would be the zippy choice, but likely lacking some versatility. I really like the iM77 in a 170, but wouldn't mind going up a few cm for a crudbuster-type ski). I ski the Elan M777 in a 176 (we have tight trees here) but I could ski the 184 too.

Regarding purchase: ours should be in stock within a week. MAP is $699, and our "preseason Barking Bear Special" will be significantly cheaper. PM me if interested....
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzostrike
product selectors are for Chavs.
Howduknow about them:
post #13 of 20
I bet it was this: http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/09/29/news/journal.php
But now I wonder if Ali G is a Chav?
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by John J
But now I wonder if Ali G is a Chav?
You betcha, that's the joke.
post #15 of 20
"So, what was it like to walk on the sun?"
I can't stop laughing.
post #16 of 20
With all the buzz on the i.M88 I decided to go check it out in the shop. It is a much softer ski than I expected. It's no where near as stiff as the i.M77. The Elan M777 is is also much stiffer. In fact I would go so far as to call this a soft ski. It was barely stiffer than this year's Rossi B3. I guess I'll have to demo it to see what all the "hub bub" is about.

I was also surprised that when comparing the 176cm M777 against the 175cm i.M88 that the i.M88 was actually a bit longer (chord length-wise). Even though the i.M88 was longer the boot midsole mark was over an inch behind where the M777 is marked.

Just some more food for thought.
post #17 of 20
softness in flex does not equal stiff in torsion. The construction of the ski can be deceiving.

8800 is a soft ski when flexed but very rigid torsionally.
post #18 of 20
I understand the difference between longitudinal and torsional stiffness. I was only passing along an observation. You should also note that the i.M88 is also much softer than the 8800.
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler
With all the buzz on the i.M88 I decided to go check it out in the shop. It is a much softer ski than I expected. It's no where near as stiff as the i.M77. The Elan M777 is is also much stiffer. In fact I would go so far as to call this a soft ski. It was barely stiffer than this year's Rossi B3. I guess I'll have to demo it to see what all the "hub bub" is about.

I was also surprised that when comparing the 176cm M777 against the 175cm i.M88 that the i.M88 was actually a bit longer (chord length-wise). Even though the i.M88 was longer the boot midsole mark was over an inch behind where the M777 is marked.

Just some more food for thought.
Maybe you missed the 5 posts I made mentioning it had a "moderate" flex?
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Star
Maybe you missed the 5 posts I made mentioning it had a "moderate" flex?
Huh? You had 2 posts before this message and you never mentioned a thing about flex. Did I miss something?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Head Monster iM88 is TSFS's ski of the year...