EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Versatile, all-mountain "resort" models from '06
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Versatile, all-mountain "resort" models from '06

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Has anyone skied these models?

Elan Magfire 12 116-76-102mm

Fischer AMC 73 118-73-104mm

Head Monster i.M. 72 117-72-102mm

Volkl AC3 116-74-102mm

I am looking for an all-mountain ski for western conditions that also can also be used for soft-snow out east. Something that is less race-like than my best hard snow ski and better on firm-snow than my powder ski. I'm 210 Lb; I enjoys high-speed, high-edge-angle-carving, but I want to relax from time to time.

Barrettscv
post #2 of 19
What is that other ski that a lot of people like....Uhm...IIRC...it is an Atomic...Met....Meteor...Metro...Oh, yeah...Metron. Might want to add them to your demo list .
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
What is that other ski that a lot of people like....Uhm...IIRC...it is an Atomic...Met....Meteor...Metro...Oh, yeah...Metron. Might want to add them to your demo list .
Phil,

I want something more GS than SL, medium to long turns with a touch of forgiveness. I should demo the Metron, but that 131mm tip and 11 meter sidecut looks like a lot of work.

OK, I will demo the beast for a full day and see how I feel at four o'clock.

Michael
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettscv
Has anyone skied these models?

Elan Magfire 12 116-76-102mm

Fischer AMC 73 118-73-104mm

Head Monster i.M. 72 117-72-102mm

Volkl AC3 116-74-102mm

I am looking for an all-mountain ski for western conditions that also can also be used for soft-snow out east. Something that is less race-like than my best hard snow ski and better on firm-snow than my powder ski. I'm 210 Lb; I enjoys high-speed, high-edge-angle-carving, but I want to relax from time to time.

Barrettscv
my opinion, not really an end-all:

Elan Magfire 12 or M666 is what I'd suggest. it's happy at slower speeds and smaller turns at slow speeds, while doing well in crud and powder up to knee deep.

for a Fischer go straight to the AMC 79 but be prepared to not relax much.

the Head will not be as easy to relax on, from what I hear, unless you are heavier / mesomorphic

the Volkl tends to want higher speeds so "relaxing" might not be as easy.
post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzostrike
my opinion, not really an end-all:

Elan Magfire 12 or M666 is what I'd suggest. it's happy at slower speeds and smaller turns at slow speeds, while doing well in crud and powder up to knee deep.

for a Fischer go straight to the AMC 79 but be prepared to not relax much.

the Head will not be as easy to relax on, from what I hear, unless you are heavier / mesomorphic

the Volkl tends to want higher speeds so "relaxing" might not be as easy.
Gonzo,

Well, I'm not trying to "end-all"

I want something more "all-day" than a top level skier-cross; but I'm not planning on taking a nap. FYI, at 210 Lbs (as mentioned) and a strong technical background, I will demo the Elan, Head and Volkl. I own a 185cm Volant Sin; as much as I like Fischers, the AMC 79 would overlap with the Volant in my quiver.

What skis from my list have you skied?

Michael
post #6 of 19
sorry Michael, I meant that my opinion is not the end-all.

I've skied the Elan M666 -- I bought a pair of the M666 Fusion (integrated Tyrolia binding) last season and spent 4 days on them and then sold them, mainly because I want to get a "flat" pair so I can mount my own Look pivot bindings on them.

in the Fischers, I own and have put in plenty of days on the BigStix 7.6 and 8.6.

I demo'd the Volkls back when they were the G30, G31 and G3 Vertigo skis, but not since then.

haven't skied the Heads, just reporting what I hear.

for western skiing and eastern soft snow, I suggest that you get a wider ski, at least 76mm in the waist. the Elan is the narrowest I'd suggest. and if you're 200 lbs you may find the Elans noodly, it all depends on what kind of ski feel you like.

at 200 lbs you probably would prefer stiffer skis like the Head and Volkl, but that's only my guess and you might not fit within my guess.

if the AMC 79 overlaps with your Volants, why are you even looking for a new ski? what is it that the Volants don't do well?
post #7 of 19
It seems to me like the Dynastar Legend 8000 might be a good fit for what you're looking for. It's not a pure powder ski, or a great hard snow ski, but will hold its own on both. The 8000 has a 79 mm waist so if you want something a little narrower you could try the Legend 4800 with its 74 mm waist.
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman829
It seems to me like the Dynastar Legend 8000 might be a good fit for what you're looking for. It's not a pure powder ski, or a great hard snow ski, but will hold its own on both. The 8000 has a 79 mm waist so if you want something a little narrower you could try the Legend 4800 with its 74 mm waist.
Gart Sports has the 4800s at some low prices in their Sniagrab sale. I stuck my head in the Missoula store yesterday.

Ridiculous bargains on the Volant Machete and other skis, $149 and $189 a pair!
post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 
Gentlemen,

One of the problems with new product is not many people have owned 'em, so you end up reading specification data and press reviews. I usually wait to the end of the season to buy gear. It allows the "dust to settle" and the sales to begin. I should just be patient.

A little more info as to how I narrowed my list. I have several excellent, but older skis. I have two hard snow skis; a retail GS type (Rossi 9X 10.2, 191cm) and a short length “all-mountain SL”(Fischer S500, 170cm). I also have the Volant Sin (115-81-104) in a 185cm. The Sin is excellent in long turns in all conditions and unbeatable in crud, so it’s a keeper. While all of these are several seasons old, none are worn or obsolete for their purpose. They are also economical; I have a total of $750 in these 3 skis & bindings.

The Dynastar 8000 and Fischer AMC 79 overlap the Volant. I also want something more hard snow & fall line capable. I can get a Intuitive 74 for $200, and its being considered.

I had a much loved pair of Volkl G30’s that I sold last year. The Volkl AC3 is a direct descendent and spiritual successor with a modern shape & sidecut. Ditto, the Fischer AMC 73 is a nephew of the Scenio, wider & more forgiving. I’m interested in Heads and Elans also. So that’s how I got to my list.

I want a western “resort” ski for those days when the new snow is nonexistent, but ice is rare. It needs to be a little tolerant of less than USSA level effort. As a flatlander, I live at 600 ft above sea level and 11,000 ft is a little bit of a physical test for me.

Best regards,

Michael
post #10 of 19
I'd try the Metrons just cause. They do really well in an incredible range of conditions.

This year's Magfire 12 is last year's M666 Fusion. As you can tell, lots of folks like it. A couple shop guys I trust really liked the Magfire 10 when they skied it. Their description of it after dealer demo days was incredibly similar to what you say you are looking for. The realskiers.com review also reads that way. I don't know if your weight (similar to mine) would be too much for it. Also, like the Metrons, it has a relatively tight radius.
post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
Yep, the Metrons are on my demo list.

Barrettscv
post #12 of 19

Volkl AC3

I have the Volkl 724 AX3, which is the essentially the same ski and luuuvvv them. You can really rip on the groomers. They hold firm on our eastern ice and harpack. They are also pretty decent in the bumps. I have not had a chance to try them in the powder. They require decent form and give you quick feedback if you get in the backseat, but are much more forgiving than a gs ski.
post #13 of 19
How big is your powder ski? What about skis in 80-90mm width range with a 20-25m sidecut? Wouldn't that be better for all around? But with lift, so they trench gs carves?
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift
I'd try the Metrons just cause. They do really well in an incredible range of conditions.

This year's Magfire 12 is last year's M666 Fusion. As you can tell, lots of folks like it. A couple shop guys I trust really liked the Magfire 10 when they skied it. Their description of it after dealer demo days was incredibly similar to what you say you are looking for. The realskiers.com review also reads that way. I don't know if your weight (similar to mine) would be too much for it. Also, like the Metrons, it has a relatively tight radius.
Just a bit of clarification. The Magfire 12 Fusion isn't exactly the M666 Fusion (although the sidecuts are identical). The construction differs a bit - primarily with the inclusion of the Express torsion control in the Magfire 12. It's definitely a stiffer ski than the M666.

Another point - The Magfire 10 is really a ski within the likes of the Metron M:11 and other "super" sidecut all-terrain type skis. The Magfire 12 doesn't really have the same sidecut and as such the naming of the skis within this series is somewhat confusing. The Magfire 10 isn't just a softer more forgiving Magfire 12 - it's a totally different kind of ski.
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Star
How big is your powder ski? What about skis in 80-90mm width range with a 20-25m sidecut? Wouldn't that be better for all around? But with lift, so they trench gs carves?
Hi HS,

My Volant Sin (115-81-104mm, >21 meter turn radius) is my go-to ski for powder. It's primarily considered a strong crud buster with all mountain capability. It floats well enough for me in powder, but I used to ski powder on 210cm pencil skis.

I live in Chicago and travel to the west infrequently and don't feel the need for a super fat ski. I have been skiing in Vermont where my daughter attends collage, this is why I have two hard snow skis and an looking for a modern all mountain design that would be good east or west.

Maybe next year I'll get a fat powder ski; the Head 88 and Volkl Gotama are great designs.

Best regard,

Barrettscv
post #16 of 19
[quote=Noodler]Just a bit of clarification. The Magfire 12 Fusion isn't exactly the M666 Fusion (although the sidecuts are identical). The construction differs a bit - primarily with the inclusion of the Express torsion control in the Magfire 12. It's definitely a stiffer ski than the M666.

Another point - The Magfire 10 is really a ski within the likes of the Metron M:11 and other "super" sidecut all-terrain type skis.../QUOTE]

I thought the 12 was the same with a new skin. Live and learn...

Good point to bring up on the 10 too. My comments were geared toward use and reported "forgivingness" relative to the 12 rather than shape within a family. But the comparison with the Metrons is worth noting...
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettscv

The Dynastar 8000 and Fischer AMC 79 overlap the Volant. I also want something more hard snow & fall line capable.
With all due respect, I think you're making a common mistake here. That is, you're defining your quiver based on dimension rather than by performance. I agree that these skis overlap your volant in terms dimension. But...while these skis can do what the Sin can do in the soft snow, the Sin can no where near match the hard snow performance of either of these skis, IMO.

Based on your initial list, I'd skip them all and buy the Int 74. Equal or better performance at a killer price. I still can't believe Dynastar discontinued this ski as I think it was one on their best from recent years.
post #18 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach13
With all due respect, I think you're making a common mistake here. That is, you're defining your quiver based on dimension rather than by performance. I agree that these skis overlap your volant in terms dimension. But...while these skis can do what the Sin can do in the soft snow, the Sin can no where near match the hard snow performance of either of these skis, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach13

Based on your initial list, I'd skip them all and buy the Int 74. Equal or better performance at a killer price. I still can't believe Dynastar discontinued this ski as I think it was one on their best from recent years.


Yes, the Int 74 is a great replacement for the Volant. I could use that Int 74 out east, an impossible notion with the Sin. Plus, I like owning "classics" and the Int 74 is archetypemodel. Later, I could add a true deep snow ski, like a Head 88, Rossi B3 and round out my quiver.

Will consider

Barrettscv
post #19 of 19
How about a nice Stockli Stormrider XL?







Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettscv
Has anyone skied these models?

Elan Magfire 12 116-76-102mm

Fischer AMC 73 118-73-104mm

Head Monster i.M. 72 117-72-102mm

Volkl AC3 116-74-102mm

I am looking for an all-mountain ski for western conditions that also can also be used for soft-snow out east. Something that is less race-like than my best hard snow ski and better on firm-snow than my powder ski. I'm 210 Lb; I enjoys high-speed, high-edge-angle-carving, but I want to relax from time to time.

Barrettscv
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Versatile, all-mountain "resort" models from '06