or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Announcement from Weems - Page 2

post #31 of 116
Weems!

I am just about to make the transition to my first super short ski(allstar 168) this season after a lifetime of longboards going back to 7' head standards in high school. This couldn't be more timely for me. I've coached youth and junior sports for years and I find the sports diamond approach interesting. Skiing is an athletic endeavor, I found in my PSIA days the "skiing is some dark mystery" approach tiresome and I alway tried to cross reference the skill development of my students to their other sports choices where applicable. Tennis baseball and basketball players I found easy to connect with. Perhaps it was because I coached those sports as well?

I assume you will be working on a video?.....I am still looking at Lito's stuff....time for an update I think....

As for MBS I got him on ignore....whaddesay?? Judging from the reaction I assume it wasn't nice. I hope his attitude changes, his work is impressive and he could teach us all a lot about super steep skiing I am sure......I can't get past the rotten attitude. I just don't understand it, with a dream gig like his how can he be so unhappy and quick tempered? TCS toned it down and I took him off ignore. I expect MBS will learn to play nice at some point....unless it is a maggot invasion....I hope not. Maybe you can befriend him and he can help you shoot your video. He clearly has a great eye for a good shot. One can only dream.

Thanks again for sharing....I got the book on my xmas list already

hrstrat57
post #32 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbakerskier
For the last forty years, the PSIA has also been promoting techniques that dont work and in some casses are flat out wrong. Especially inregard to skiing powder.
Arrant rubbish, on both points.
post #33 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbakerskier
Hey fair enough, think of it as playing devils advocate.
That's not devil's advocate, that's just ill-informed abuse.

Quote:
People need to learn to think for them selves, and realise that not every thing that they hear is correct ( I may be wrong in this case, if so, so be it) There are a lot of so called experts that arent always right.
In the field of technical education, I think it preferable that people listen and learn first, then develop their own way. I'm sure you'd patronize a brain surgeon who thought as you did, right? No, didn't think so.

Quote:
Seems to be that the PSIA is prety well known for taunting the stay forward on your skis B.S. When if fact all of the best skiers actually use the entire ski.
Taunting? well yes, most PSIA people I've cliniced with DO taunt that silly out of date and wrong idea. They are quite scathing about it. But as you say, they don't advocate it.

Foot tasting good?
post #34 of 116
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrstrat57
Weems!

I am just about to make the transition to my first super short ski(allstar 168) this season after a lifetime of longboards going back to 7' head standards in high school.
I assume you will be working on a video?.....
hrstrat57
You'll like that ski, but keep it up on the edges. Otherwise, it's just another squirrely short ski.

Yeah, a dvd is the next step, as well as another round of photo shoots using other people besides me. The beauty of an ebook is that you can do second editions whenever you want.

I'm really pleased that you see the applications and transferability of elements from one sport to the next. That's one of the ideas that drove me in this development.
post #35 of 116
Thanks, Weems. Chapter Five is outstanding.
post #36 of 116
it's those squirrels: that have me worried....I'll do my best to get on em early and stay there.....just gotta learn how to feather the uphill ski into the turn....which is why I need an update on Lito....or so I'm told. Last ski was P40 Platinum with MRR's, not quite dinosaurs, but def old school compared to 168 allstars. I am expecting somewhat of a learning curve to fully utilize the new technology. Also why I will enjoy some new cutting edge instructional material that you so kindly are providing.

yep basic athletic stance, balance and center......the position of power, from which one rips....be it topspin forehand, 94 mph fastball, cross court pass, precise 8 iron to a tight pin or your favorite trail....

we think alike.....no mystery here.

I will just need to adapt to the new tool, gonna be fun!

PS, you mentioned Jerry Berg....his high spead turns in Breakthrough on Skis I video literally changed my ski life....please thank him for me. What images....amazing. Made the concept of crossover click for me for the 1st time. I only wait with anticipation on what images await me with the new ski technology.....get cracking on that video ok?

Thanks again Weems
post #37 of 116
Thanks Weems,

With respect to humor arising from truthfulness, I've liberated a quote from your book.




While it is true that some types of learners can look at a teaching approach that is heavy on system and stories and light on specifics as an approach that is not worth merit, it is especially those people who need to realize that they may have already connected their extremities. Thank you Weems for presenting an alternative method.
525x525px-LL-vbattach282.jpg
post #38 of 116
Thread Starter 
Beautiful, Rusty. Thanks.

The last five chapters will have many more specifics--actually over 100 ski pointers--but the framework that overlays them is what helps me invent my own pointers from moment to moment according to what I need. Also, it just breaks my heart when I hear someone describe any sport in only one dimension. For example, It's only about fun, it's only about carving, it's only about racing, it's only about balance, it's only about goin' for it. As a lifelong student of this sport, I have found that you gotta do it all to approximate virtuosity or versatility. Now, I am neither virtuoso, nor virtuous, but I am versatile, and I'm still fascinated.

The thing is to develop a system that is not a burden, but rather an open door to step through.

Cool cartoon!
post #39 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrstrat57
Weems!

As for MBS I got him on ignore....whaddesay?? Judging from the reaction I assume it wasn't nice. I hope his attitude changes, his work is impressive and he could teach us all a lot about super steep skiing I am sure......I can't get past the rotten attitude. I just don't understand it, with a dream gig like his how can he be so unhappy and quick tempered? TCS toned it down and I took him off ignore. I expect MBS will learn to play nice at some point....unless it is a maggot invasion....I hope not. Maybe you can befriend him and he can help you shoot your video. He clearly has a great eye for a good shot. One can only dream.

Thanks again for sharing....I got the book on my xmas list already

hrstrat57
The following is a responce to another thread, hell I am going to kill to birds with one stone and post it here too, I think it's aplicable to both.



Hey, I’m generally a nice guy, and just ask anyone that actually knows me and they will tell you that I have one of the best attitudes in the business (hell, it would be impossible to be in this business if you didn’t have a good attitude since no one would give you lift tickets otherwise). That being said I get REALLY PISSED OFF at OVERLY ANAL PRICKS. If your going to act like a anal prick expect to be treated like one. I am not trying to flaunt my occupation, experiences or accomplishments, but if your going to question my character / actions / or even more importantly my credibility expect me to defend my self, my opinions, actions and even more so my credibility. My credibility and my reputation our extremely important to me, and our something that I feel more people should care about in there own lives. If more people cared about their credibility and reputations there would be less scam artists, thieves, pricks, and more genuinely nice people.



That being said I have never ever had my reputation and credibility attacked like this before, sure I don’t give a damn about my spelling, but at least I have the balls to type what I believe and to reason with others. If you don’t like what I say than so be it, form your own opinion. Hell if more people would quit being so god damn lazy, and learn to think for them selves there would be less law suits, and more opportunities to ski. However over analyzing, critiquing, and just being anal will always lead you astray. It doesn’t matter if your studying the results of a scientific experiment, skier style or god for bid a post on a skiing message board. You really should learn to be less anal and have some fun every now and then, you WILL BE HAPPIER, you will LIVE LONGER, and hell you might even become a BETTER SKIER!



I am able to make a decent living doing what I love to do because I am extremely passionate about skiing, and I pay attention to the details that matter, but most importantly I don’t let trivial shit get to me. You have to have an opinion mind, and be able to think on your feet, and make instant decisions whether you’re shooting action pics or skiing an exposed face. Ignoring the opinions of someone that are different than you is no different than burying your head in the sand, it will only serve to make you more ignorant.



If a few people would turn down their level of anal retentiveness, get over this TGR Vs. Epic bullshit, and learned to consider both angles on a subject, everyone involved might actually learn something useful. I’m sure that I can learn a thing or two from an over weight 50 year old, just as I am sure they could learn a few things from someone half there age that has skied 100-200 days a year for the majority of there life. Don’t forget there is always more wrong answers than correct ones, and there is seldom just one correct answer. This is exactly why I have a strong distaste for some people that are backing certain ski designs, or saying that this (insert object, etc.) will make you a better skier. Skiing is just like shooting pics or learning any other skill in life. You will not become a great skier by reading a book, You have to go out spend time on snow and ski with skiers that are better than you, just as you cannot learn to take photos by reading a book, you have to put film (media) in to a camera and go out and shoot a lot of photos, just like you cant learn to drive a car from a book, you have to go out and get behind the wheel.


However dont get me started on thsi whole super short ski rave
post #40 of 116
Thread Starter 
You're so angry. Too bad. That's not much fun.
post #41 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbakerskier
Prety blatent spam there.

I seriously doubt that your book and instruction is going to be the end all answer to being a better skier. Especially if you would realise that the best skiers in the industry are good because tehy developed there own set of skills that work for them, not some bullshit somebody is trying to tell them is the "correct" way to ski.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbakerskier
...If your going to act like a anal prick expect to be treated like one.
What's the problem? You're getting what you say you should expect....

If you subscribed to what you outlined in the most recent post, then you wouldn't have made your first post in this thread to begin with. Personally, I think Weems was way to generous. You are concerned about your reputation, but think nothing of trashing a very respected member of this community whom you obviously know nothing about ...without even taking the time to reveiw the material he presented - for free!


Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbakerskier
...critiquing, and just being anal will always lead you astray.
It's hard to imagine someone having you on their ignore list:
post #42 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeib
What's the problem? You're getting what you say you should expect....

If you subscribed to what you outlined in the most recent post, then you wouldn't have made your first post in this thread to begin with. Personally, I think Weems was way to generous. You are concerned about your reputation, but think nothing of trashing a very respected member of this community whom you obviously know nothing about ...without even taking the time to reveiw the material he presented - for free!


It's hard to imagine someone having you on their ignore list:
Read the last lines of my last post again.

Anyways, I stated in an earlier post that fair enough, I would play devils advocat. I am not trying to bash on Weems, but I do have a thing against the IDEA that reading a book is going to make you a better skier. I guess I should have made that a bit more clear.
post #43 of 116
I think of MBS as a nice guy with some strongly held views and passion for skiing. I also agree that despite Weems best intentions some might regard his offer as spam rather than steak. I further agree that there has been a lot that has been published on “how to ski” that is simply unhelpful and wrongheaded. Some of those authors have been severely criticized right here. The Epic Academies started in significant part as an effort to take what was being discussed in written form out on the hill for actual application.

There are a number of people at Epic who know Weems personally and have a high regard for his teaching reputation, experience and skills. As such, they see his offer as helpful rather than self-promoting and what he has offered as generous and as having real value.

At times we are going to share differing perspectives and voice strong opinions about them. I don’t see that as a bad thing. So long as views expressed are aimed at trying to get at the truth of things I think its fine.

Let’s face it, some express themselves more graphically than others. That approach can sometimes be very effective and sometimes not. Sometimes we just need to take a deep breath in the process and give the other person the benefit of the doubt.
post #44 of 116
Weems, if you're thinking of an Italian edition and need a xlator...I'm game.
Wish you success.
post #45 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody
Weems, if you're thinking of an Italian edition and need a xlator...I'm game.
...likewise, if you want it translated into proper English, let me know...

I've just glanced through it, and it looks good. I'll read it later.
post #46 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wear The Fox Hat
...likewise, if you want it translated into proper English, let me know...

I've just glanced through it, and it looks good. I'll read it later.
ROFLMAO

So, actually the steps would be: Original-> proper English-> Italian
post #47 of 116
Weems: I finally had a chance to look thru your attachment. Fantastic! I'm sure, that your book will be a valuable addition to every sports enthusiast's library. Keep up the good work.
post #48 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbakerskier
Anyways, I stated in an earlier post that fair enough, I would play devils advocat. I am not trying to bash on Weems, but I do have a thing against the IDEA that reading a book is going to make you a better skier. I guess I should have made that a bit more clear.
I wish this had been your first post on this thread.
post #49 of 116
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wear The Fox Hat
...likewise, if you want it translated into proper English, let me know...

I've just glanced through it, and it looks good. I'll read it later.
You can read?
post #50 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems
You can read?
mmm. pretty pictures...
post #51 of 116
Thread Starter 
perfect, wtfh
post #52 of 116
Dang Weems - looks good so far. Great use of common sense approach to everything!
Kudos to you!
post #53 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems
perfect, wtfh
Not perfect, BRILLIANT!

So, do you think "Anyone can be a brilliant skier"?
post #54 of 116
Thread Starter 
I think Lostboy's comments are pretty useful.

I was just surprised by the hostility implicit in mbs's comments. As to his content, this is what chapter 4 is all about: the idea of both/and. In this case I feel that both doing and reading can be very helpful. Either, chosen to a fault, will may not produce great results for most people. There is useful information in both arenas.

Also, I am not above self promotion. I'll be up front about this. I hope that this will be a good business. I don't have expectations that there will be significant revenue from EpicSki. The real products will be the teaching events in Aspen (and elsewhere), the leadership trainings, and perhaps expansion to other sports arenas. The reason we went up live on EpicSki first is
--because I like you people, and feel part of this community
--because I felt that this would be a ready made audience of critics (and I've already received lots of useful feeback--even from mbs--because I seek feeback and listen to it.)

Ultimately though, and consistent with my whole career, it's about the continuing process of helping the learning. There isn't much money in it--as we see with the public school system.

In fact, we're nearly broke and we live under a bridge on the Roaring Fork River with viscuine walls, and have to catch trout with our bare hands, and my kids don't have any shoes, and they have to wear barb wire on their feet for traction in winter. It's hard work! (who said that?)
post #55 of 116
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wear The Fox Hat
Not perfect, BRILLIANT!

So, do you think "Anyone can be a brilliant skier"?
Sure. Because part of the deal is redefining criteria for success. This can be done in many ways, but the most obvious one is the idea of holding polarity between process and results. If you just do that, each day is full of possibility for brilliance.
post #56 of 116
Some, upon being presented with a gift pony, will immediately look for the pile of poop. Others, coming upon a pile of poop, will immediately assume they've been presented with a pony.

I nominate Lostboy for today's Poop or Pony award.
post #57 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbakerskier
Read the last lines of my last post again.

Anyways, I stated in an earlier post that fair enough, I would play devils advocat. I am not trying to bash on Weems, but I do have a thing against the IDEA that reading a book is going to make you a better skier. I guess I should have made that a bit more clear.
MBS, I trained with Beelzebub himself in the School of Advocacy. PM me if you want some pointers on effectively playing the Devil's Advocate.

As to the suggestion that books can't help athletic performance, I would suggest that you drop what you do and come play some sports with me. You can see firsthand what reading books on golf, fly fishing, soccer, lacrosse, cycling and alpine skiing have done for my abilities. I doubt you'll continue to badly advance your imagined Satanic Screed.
post #58 of 116
MBS who in the hell made you god. If you knew anything about education and learning you would realize that people learn in different ways and a combination of those ways. If, on snow with people better than you works for you great. It also happens to be my style, but does not work for other people, intimidation,frustration etc.
While I'm not a total PSIA devotee I think you can learn from the good instructors in this system (D-Team and others)
How you can diss a respected member of the ski community without even having read what he presented shows that you need to go a few more miles in your mocassins before beating on the Tom Toms. You may be an ok guy, but it's hard to determine that from what you post.
post #59 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
MBS who in the hell made you god. If you knew anything about education and learning you would realize that people learn in different ways and a combination of those ways. If, on snow with people better than you works for you great. It also happens to be my style, but does not work for other people, intimidation,frustration etc.
While I'm not a total PSIA devotee I think you can learn from the good instructors in this system (D-Team and others)
How you can diss a respected member of the ski community without even having read what he presented shows that you need to go a few more miles in your mocassins before beating on the Tom Toms. You may be an ok guy, but it's hard to determine that from what you post.
Hey why dont you go back and re-read all of my posts before you post a reply. Especially my last two posts.
post #60 of 116
I did and they make no more sense than the previous ones.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion