EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Is Anyone Interested in This Kind of Stuff?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is Anyone Interested in This Kind of Stuff?

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Alright, I admit I'm a crumugeon sometimes, but this seems ridiculous:

http://www.slopetracker.com/

I can't imagine a business model where this would be a profitable enterprise. There would be far too few people interested to pay $$ to get this info, and you can essentially do this your self with your own gps and map. OK, prove me wrong why this would be a good idea and why it would/will make money.

Powdr
post #2 of 23
It all depends on what it costs. There's some price at which huge numbers of people would be willing to pay for it.

Whether that price is $24.95 per day is another question. That seems a bit steep to me, personally, but I don't know that I'd say that (at least not for sure) about other people. Particularly if the other people are vacationers who are already dropping many hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars a day at big-name resorts.
post #3 of 23
Just look at who they are marketing it towards.

"For the first time ever, know exactly what kind of monster you are on the slopes."
"you’ll receive a personalized map with hard stats that will ‘Prove’ your adventure on the slopes."
"Think of it: for the price of a T-Shirt, braggin’ rights to go!"

Great, you will have rich weekend warriors slamming into little kids at full speed so they can have a poster of how fast they can make it down a run.

It will be funny when they realize like 75% of their day is on the lift or standing still.

The technology is cool but I wonder how accurate it is.
post #4 of 23
I must admit that I'm a statistics nerd. I can spend hours on the Sports Illustrated website just looking at stats. I could spend hours on some economics website looking at stats. While it would be neat to get all of that info described, I probably wouldn't pay for it.
post #5 of 23
Powdr: WHere do you findd this stuff? It's not for me, but then again, all I need to be happy are my skis, a camelback and maybe a power bar or two.
post #6 of 23
I would love to get a map of the places I went on a resort I've skied...my memory isn't getting any better. For me, the price point would top out at about $7.95.

The privacy issue should be interesting. It would be a great tool for identifying reckless skiers.
post #7 of 23
A resort has to shell out a few bucks to get their mountain on the slope tracker program (GPS plotting has to happen) so if they're going to do it then it makes business sense to charge for it. I've heard of it going for as much as $25 a day. So the $8 price point is low for most hills. As an IT administrator for a ski resort and posh slopeside hotel I would like to bring it to my resort and guests. Oh they would eat it up....I know they would. Yet it doesn't posses the wow factor just yet for the resort execs. Most hard-core skiiers don't want or need this but flat landers would surely bite.
post #8 of 23
We've had it at Copper for a few years and I think it's pretty cool. There doesn't seem to be a ton of overhead and a bunch of people seem to like it. You could do some neat things with it, like have contests for the most amount of terrain covered or lifts ridden, etc. We done similar things, but I bet there's all sorts of creative things that could be done.
post #9 of 23
Love it can't wait till it's available at my local hill. I would love to get home and on Sunday morning in front of my computer go over my Saturday ski excursion while having a nice cup of coffee and phoning my buddy and let the games begin. Who was faster on run 3, who had the better line etc....

To be able to overlap your days and see where you spend most of your time and where you for some reason never ski.

To be able to have a profile that can be accessed anytime of every ski day of the year you did. all this data stored online or to be downloaded for analysis years in the future.

Yes one could do this with a GPS but this overlaps your day ontop of a map of that ski hill.

How much would I pay. Hmm I would pay $25.00 to register to cover the online costs and a per use fee of $5 - $7. much more than that I would likely not bother
post #10 of 23
I almost tried it at Copper last year just for kicks. I don't really remember why I didn't do it---maybe I was too cheap?
post #11 of 23
OK - I'll admit it - I've done the SlopeTracker thing a few times. Since I have a season pass the cost didn't really matter that much to me, but I could see $25 being considered high if I had already paid $60-$70 to ski for the day.

The system has its pros and cons. It's fun to find out exactly what you've done for the day and get some stats, but I too worry about people going for their max speed. I'll be the first to admit that my buddy and I were just plain stupid when we went for our max speed a few seasons ago, but the run was fairly deserted - it was first thing in the morning in the Spring so the slope was quite icy and freshly groomed. This was back when I was still mainly using my Supersport 5-Stars and they are NOT the right ski to bomb a run and go for speed (way too squirrely at speed). Nevertheless I still topped 50 mph and it was fun to find out how fast I was going. I don't think I'd ever do it again though - it really was dangerous and if I'd hit someone at 50 mph someone could die. Not a good thing.
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot mb
Love it can't wait till it's available at my local hill. I would love to get home and on Sunday morning in front of my computer go over my Saturday ski excursion while having a nice cup of coffee and phoning my buddy and let the games begin. Who was faster on run 3, who had the better line etc....

To be able to overlap your days and see where you spend most of your time and where you for some reason never ski.

To be able to have a profile that can be accessed anytime of every ski day of the year you did. all this data stored online or to be downloaded for analysis years in the future.

Yes one could do this with a GPS but this overlaps your day ontop of a map of that ski hill.

How much would I pay. Hmm I would pay $25.00 to register to cover the online costs and a per use fee of $5 - $7. much more than that I would likely not bother
+1.
I just got a gps this summer. I really liked being able to see where I paddled on my canoe trip. Looking over the trip data adds a new demension, like a postcard. I would love to have something like that from a ski trip. That's exactly why I got a gps. I'm not going to pay an arm and a leg for it though.
I now take my GPS with me when I ride my mountain bike. Eventually I'll have a breadcrumb trailmap of the local bike trails and not have to guess which way is the quickest way home. I still enjoy looking at the collected data... top speed 54 kph (no hills to speak of nearby and it's a 10-speed road bike with rotting tires so I'm slow going down the trails)...average 1=hour trip is 12 to 15 kms.... stopped time was... You get the point.
I don't know if the novelty would wear off.
post #13 of 23
I can't remember shit.
That said, I will admit I can remember every run I've ever made.
But I don't feel too compelled to prove anything to anybody.
I was just having fun.
post #14 of 23
I already keep track of my vertical feet like it's an obsession. I have stats going back to the first year I bought a season pass, in 1989. But, it only costs for the initial outlay for the Vertech watch OR keeping track of the lifts you ride. This SlopeTracker is way too pricey for me because I would want to use it all season, year after year, not just for one day.
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
+1.
I just got a gps this summer. I really liked being able to see where I paddled on my canoe trip. Looking over the trip data adds a new demension, like a postcard. I would love to have something like that from a ski trip. That's exactly why I got a gps. I'm not going to pay an arm and a leg for it though.
I now take my GPS with me when I ride my mountain bike. Eventually I'll have a breadcrumb trailmap of the local bike trails and not have to guess which way is the quickest way home. I still enjoy looking at the collected data... top speed 54 kph (no hills to speak of nearby and it's a 10-speed road bike with rotting tires so I'm slow going down the trails)...average 1=hour trip is 12 to 15 kms.... stopped time was... You get the point.
I don't know if the novelty would wear off.
I am a GPS Idiot, never used one, never played with one, never really even looked at one over someones shoulder. I realize that it gives you co-ordinates where you are on the globe, I realize it keeps track of your movements when engaged. I assume it makes a pretty little line from your start point to the finish but.... I would think it doesn't lay out all the little lines ontop of a map that is the actual ski hill. All the little lines are just that lines. No context to them, no relevance to anything. Yes a GPS will and can give you data but as they say......

"A picture is worth a thousand words"

But alas I am a GPS idiot and likely have no idea of their immense power.
post #16 of 23
I reckon your average tweaky geek would love it! And a lot of upper intermediate and above skiiers (particularly guys) would love to have that info documented. I wonder how many people actually do it? that'd be interesting.

btw, is a "crumudgeon" a low-life curmudgeon?!!!
post #17 of 23
Nearing sixty-four years on the planet, that's just boring. Who cares? Well, someone, I guess. Not I.
post #18 of 23
Yawn .... "teats on a boar hog".
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraw

The privacy issue should be interesting. It would be a great tool for identifying reckless skiers.
HMMM!!
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot mb
I am a GPS Idiot, never used one, never played with one, never really even looked at one over someones shoulder. I realize that it gives you co-ordinates where you are on the globe, I realize it keeps track of your movements when engaged. I assume it makes a pretty little line from your start point to the finish but.... I would think it doesn't lay out all the little lines ontop of a map that is the actual ski hill. All the little lines are just that lines. No context to them, no relevance to anything. Yes a GPS will and can give you data but as they say......

"A picture is worth a thousand words"

But alas I am a GPS idiot and likely have no idea of their immense power.
The gps comes with a standard roadmap that has highways on it. You can then buy more detailed maps. For example you can buy countour maps and nautical charts which can be downloaded onto your gps. The gps screen itself is kind of small and you have to do a lot of panning and zooming, but once home you can transfer the data to a computer screen and see where you've been on a map or chart. I bought a bluechart of the great lakes, and downloaded a couple of sections for my canoe trip to the Mississauga Provincial Park. I wouldn't trust the detail of the charts to keep your speedboat off the rocks in the dark, but it's pretty good for other purposes.
I haven't checked out any countour maps. I suppose some will be better than others.
post #21 of 23
People who will pay $100,000 for a parking spot or lay out $40,000 initiation fee to join a private club will pay $25 to have somebody else keep track of where they've been.
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by thexcop
As an IT administrator for a ski resort and posh slopeside hotel I would like to bring it to my resort and guests.
Are you an IT admin at Snowmass?

I applied for a job at ASC up in Maine but they wanted to pay me half of what I make in Boston. I guess I could do that when I was older or retired.
post #23 of 23
I don't care what it costs an area to implement and maintain. I don't care what constitutes profitability. I'm saying that I'd pay $8. It doesn't become worth more to me if I know it costs more to offer it to me. If it's $9, I don't want it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Is Anyone Interested in This Kind of Stuff?