New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wolf Creek Lodging options

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
A buddy of mine is looking for lodging near Wolf Creek (Thanksgiving Weekend). I have been to pagosa but only remember a motel about 2 miles east of town. Does anyone know the name of this motel or any other lodging options near wolf creek?
post #2 of 15
Pagosa (West Side of the Pass) and South Fork (East Side) are about it.
post #3 of 15
if you go to the wolf creek website, they have a link to all the lodging in both Pagosa and South Fork. There are tons and tons of hotels, motels, cabins, etc. in Pagosa. A smaller selction in South Fork. The Springs Hotel is the classic and includes access to the hot sulpher springs. There are pretty nice cabin type motels on the way to the pass which are cheap and sport one or two bedrooms and are great if you're going w/ a group. Also, a lot of the motels have discounted lift tickets. Of course finding a place to eat with decent food in Pagosa is another story. If anyone has found such a place, let us all know!
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom
Of course finding a place to eat with decent food in Pagosa is another story. If anyone has found such a place, let us all know!
No problem...just buy a refrigerated burrito at one of those food-mart/convenience stores in Chama, wrap it in foil, and tuck it into a safe place on the exhaust manifold of the car on the drive over to Pagosa. Wen you arrive at your destination, you'll have a meal that is as good as anything you can get in town...

Maybe the trick is to ski hard enough at Wolf Creek so that you're hungry enough to appreciate a patty melt or a chicken fried steak when the day is done.
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom
Of course finding a place to eat with decent food in Pagosa is another story. If anyone has found such a place, let us all know!
Unfortunately, Durango's about two hours in the dark away - watch out for elk and deer on the road.
post #6 of 15
I skied at WC last Thanksgiving and found great lodging. In South Fork (the east side of the pass), there are a ton of small B&B's... the prices are totally reasonable. We paid $89/night for a great place right on the river, and it had amazing breakfasts. It was about a 15-20 min drive to WC from there. As for restaurant suggestions, there's not exactly a lot of choices... just eat what you can find.
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dunn
I skied at WC last Thanksgiving and found great lodging. In South Fork (the east side of the pass), there are a ton of small B&B's... the prices are totally reasonable. We paid $89/night for a great place right on the river, and it had amazing breakfasts. It was about a 15-20 min drive to WC from there. As for restaurant suggestions, there's not exactly a lot of choices... just eat what you can find.
How was the coverage on Turkey day??
post #8 of 15
Coverage on T-day is typically good. Last year, we skied the weekend after T-giving and had nice powder, the tree area and part of the ridge were open. Year before we went the weekend before. But, while it's a good bet, it ain't a sure bet. about three seasons ago it was pretty much totally dry.
post #9 of 15
Stay in South Fork Co.(My home town of the past) Link for more info....

Don't pass on the Hungry Logger, (breakfest), Mt.Air Cafe is also good along with Big River Grill.
See Ya over by Casa Del Sol!
http://www.southfork.org/lodging/lodging.htm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vertical
Stay in South Fork Co.(My home town of the past) Link for more info....

Don't pass on the Hungry Logger, (breakfest), Mt.Air Cafe is also good along with Big River Grill.
See Ya over by Casa Del Sol!
http://www.southfork.org/lodging/lodging.htm
Is the construction on the East side of the pass finished? Haven't been over the pass since August, 2004.
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by villagenut
How was the coverage on Turkey day??
100% open and three of the best days I"ve ever had. The first day we were there, they got 22" of new snow- and that was on top of 30" from the weekend before. WC is a pretty good bet (and a very cheap option) for that early in the season. I'm pretty sure we're heading back down there this year as well.
post #12 of 15
Coverage at Thanksgiving is usually very good. Wolf Creek Pass historically records more snowfall than any place in Colorado, and 4 of the last 5 years they opened on (or a couple days before) Halloween. A 50" base by November 1st can happen. Check their web site for an opening on the Friday Oct. 28th. That's my prediction of opening day if they have snow

It is not much of a mountain, but if you are willing to hike and traverse a little there are lots of fun steep short shots. The drive between town and the hill is shorter and easier if you stay in Pagosa Springs instead of South Fork, plus they have a killer hot springs. As for fine dining, good luck.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfoot
Coverage at Thanksgiving is usually very good. Wolf Creek Pass historically records more snowfall than any place in Colorado, and 4 of the last 5 years they opened on (or a couple days before) Halloween. A 50" base by November 1st can happen. Check their web site for an opening on the Friday Oct. 28th. That's my prediction of opening day if they have snow

It is not much of a mountain, but if you are willing to hike and traverse a little there are lots of fun steep short shots. The drive between town and the hill is shorter and easier if you stay in Pagosa Springs instead of South Fork, plus they have a killer hot springs. As for fine dining, good luck.
I agree with just about everything here... however, the drive is NOT easier from Pagosa. IF the pass is closed (and it does close from time to time), the Pagosa side will be impossible to reach. When I was there last Thanksgiving and it snowed the entire three days we were there, we didn't encounter any problems on the South Fork side with the roads.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom
Of course finding a place to eat with decent food in Pagosa is another story. If anyone has found such a place, let us all know!
JJ's Upstream was started by a friend of mine some years ago as an upscale restaurant with live Jazz bands. He's no longer an owner and I haven't been there in years so I can't speak to the experience. But I do know it is still a higher end dining experience ...for Pagosa.

Another friend owns and operates this lodging option.
http://www.firesidecabins.com/index.htm I prefer to spend the extra bucks and stay at the Springs Inn. They provide all their lodging guests 24 hour access to their springs.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyblake
Is the construction on the East side of the pass finished? Haven't been over the pass since August, 2004.
Here is the offical word from C-Dot..... Think once the snow starts to fly the road construction will stop till spring of 06.
http://www.cdot.info/WolfCreekPass/schedule.cfm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel