New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which Metron?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I've heard you guys talk a lot about the Metrons, and they're apparantly pretty different from each other. Which do I want?

They will be my second pair to 160RX8's. If I need anything it's a powder ski, so the Metrons might just do it. I love to carve, I need to experience the Metron phenomenon, will use them in a lot of Eastern Ice and for two weeks in late February in Vail.

Me 190lbs, 5 '9" level 7/8. Suck in bumps but can ski fast, make pretty nice turns, getting more comfortable in crud and powder.

My instinct is to go for the M11's (being the most expensive). There seem to be some good deals on last year's Metrons right now.
post #2 of 19
Thread Starter 
Oh yeah and what length? 157?
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
I could get M8's with bindings for $300, would that be a good thing to get? Cheap tghas for sure.
post #4 of 19
Given your stated size and competence, you may want to consider the M:11 or the M:B5 in a 162. I would not call any of the Metrons a true "powder ski" (the EX is closest). However, the 11 & the B5 certainly are versatile enough to ski powder comfortably. And both will carve like crazy I doubt you'd get what you say you are looking for from the skis lower down the line.

If you have not yet done so, you may want to peruse the several semi-infinite length threads on these skis... If you are not going to wait to demo, there are lots of good deals on the 11 (same profile as the B5).
post #5 of 19
The 9 and the 10 are the same shape as are the 11 and the B5. I have the 11's and are tickled pink with them. Get the 11's in a 162, they will complement your RX8's well.
post #6 of 19
The 11s or the b5s, depending on your speed preference (b5 for higher speeds). Same profile, more beef on the b5. Phil, why the 162 in the 11? I would have expected you to recommend the 172. Definitely a 162 in the b5.
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
Phil, why the 162 in the 11? I would have expected you to recommend the 172. Definitely a 162 in the b5.
Because he is on 160 RX8's and is happy with them. Plus he is 1" shorter and 15lbs' lighter than me being on the 172's. My first post, before I edited was to demo both then decide, but he is looking at last years modl and thought that he was to get these before the season started.
post #8 of 19
I think you will find the XIs easier in bumps then the B5.

I have last years XIs in a 162 and demoed both last and this year's B5s in a 162.

I think the B5 is better on ice and speed but the XI is better for all around skiing for a level 7-8 in New England.
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalce
I think the B5 is better on ice and speed but the XI is better for all around skiing for a level 7-8 in New England.
Yup, it's all us "level 7's" can handle.
post #10 of 19
I'm saying I think the XI is the better ski for my ability level even though I love the B5.
post #11 of 19
It really depends more on what you will do with them and where you are willing to accept some shortcommings in return for excelence in an other area than it depends on ability level. Though modern ski construction has mitigated circumstances somewhat, making tight turns with stiff skis in tight bumps is still easier, and easier on your body, than doing so with softer ones (I'm not saying noodles). Skiing very fast on hardpack with soft skis is not as enjoyable as skiing the same course with stiffer skis. I would pick the stiffer skis because I would rather put up with a little more difficulty in the bumps than lack-lustre performance at speed, but thats just me.
post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
It really depends more on what you will do with them and where you are willing to accept some shortcommings in return for excelence in an other area than it depends on ability level. Though modern ski construction has mitigated circumstances somewhat, making tight turns with stiff skis in tight bumps is still less enjoyable than doing so with softer ones (I'm not saying noodles). Skiing very fast on hardpack with soft skis is not as enjoyable as skiing the same course with stiffer skis.
Well said. And with that the 11's are seeming better, as I have had SX:11's for the last two years and know what it is I want to do more of, and that isn't going faster. Even on the RX8's I think I can go plenty fast.

From both Scalce and Phil's comments the 11's might be a little softer.
post #13 of 19
Darn! you replied before I finished editing. Reason for edit: you can still enjoy racing through moguls on old stiff race skis (even SGs) if your a masochist. The speed required to generate enough inertia to bend the skis and the terrain changes can result in a pretty rough ride.
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
I need all the help in bumps I can get, and do fine at speed. I sold the SX:11's because I liked the RX:8's so much better. I know I've sacrificed a bit of speed, but I'm enjoying turning more and more as I learn to do it better and better
post #15 of 19
SkiMangoJazz

I'm the same build/ability (also suck in bumps) & went for the 04/05 b5's in 162 & they're great.

I couldn't test the M11 before I bought the b5. I've since tried the M11 in 162 & also liked them very much. However for my preferred skiing (as Ghost's stated above) I'm glad I went for the b5's.

Whichever your choice do you realise that your RX8's will soon be redundant? You might as well punt them & then buyer the lighter weight 05/06 models.
post #16 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderjon
SkiMangoJazz

I'm the same build/ability (also suck in bumps) & went for the 04/05 b5's in 162 & they're great.

I couldn't test the M11 before I bought the b5. I've since tried the M11 in 162 & also liked them very much. However for my preferred skiing (as Ghost's stated above) I'm glad I went for the b5's.

Whichever your choice do you realise that your RX8's will soon be redundant? You might as well punt them & then buyer the lighter weight 05/06 models.
Intertresting. Only reason I'm thinking about it is that there are some good deals on last years M11's for abut $550 with bindings.

Is what you're suggesting that the 04/05 Atomics will add a bit of versatility to my quiver, but the 05/06 Atomics would make the RX:8's unnecessary?
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMangoJazz
Intertresting. Only reason I'm thinking about it is that there are some good deals on last years M11's for abut $550 with bindings.

Is what you're suggesting that the 04/05 Atomics will add a bit of versatility to my quiver, but the 05/06 Atomics would make the RX:8's unnecessary?
I reckon either year will make your 8's unnecessary (BTW, the RX8's is one of my favourite skis) as you'll enjoy the Metron's sooo much you just won't bother taking the 8's out. IMO, the 8 is just not different enough to make it worthwhile keeping.

The new Metrons are a lot lighter to carry than the old 'uns therefore for me the decision would be based on budget. You could punt the 8's to finance the extra cost of the new lighter Metrons if dosh is tight or you could punt the 8's & buy last years Metrons which would make them an absolute bargain.
post #18 of 19
Thread Starter 
well waiting makes sense to me. The only reason to move soon is for my last two weeks of March trip to Vail. I'm concerned that the RX:8's won't be that good in powder and deep crud and that the Metrons would.

Otherwise for my first 2-3 months the Fischers will be a joy!
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMangoJazz
well waiting makes sense to me. The only reason to move soon is for my last two weeks of March trip to Vail. I'm concerned that the RX:8's won't be that good in powder and deep crud and that the Metrons would.

Otherwise for my first 2-3 months the Fischers will be a joy!
Best of both worlds then. Result
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion