EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Who has been to Grand Targhee Resort?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who has been to Grand Targhee Resort? - Page 2

post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdr
Second best place on the planet to get good snow (behind Alta), but with a better vibe. No amped out feeding frenzy on powder days.

Powdr
I agree and both points. The opportunity for untracked snow at Targhee is excellent.

However, if you hit it wrong, and come after a period of no new snow, the area can be a bit draggy (nothing especially steep or thrilling in-bounds).

If you hit it right, with ample fresh snow, Targhee offers days of untracked bliss. The same snow at Jackson Hole is skiied out in a few hours (and not as deep).

To be fair, the terrain at Jackson is so phenomenal that you don't need fresh snow to have an epic day.

Final comment, the term "Grand Foghee" has merit. The lovely photo above represents one of the few bluebird days per year. I've only had one, and we've been there 3 times. Regardless, Targhee is a great American original!
post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by begorrah
What are the odds of getting good/sufficient snow at GT or JH in early December? Rooms already booked, but am worried that there will not be much snow at that stage...
How early in Dec? JH doesn't open until Dec 7-10th depending on the calendar. I believe last year the tram opened on the 15th. I suggest you call your booking agent and start praying for snow.

Hopefully the snow on the hills presently is a good omen for early season skiing.
post #33 of 49

From the traveling Dranows, Grand Targhee Masters

Grand Targhee trip 2005

We hope we get to go back this year!
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dranow
Grand Targhee trip 2005

We hope we get to go back this year!
Grand Targhee & Big Sky and not one picture of someone on fat skis....that's different.
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dranow
Grand Targhee trip 2005

We hope we get to go back this year!
Enjoyed the Dranow's trip report on Grand Targhee and other masters racing activities. Great photos. Thanks for sharing.
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI-3PO
.....I know that as long as I stay away from the cliffs I can't get myself in too much trouble. Although, I've only had a few of those fog days during my visits, so maybe that skews my opinion.
As long as you know where you're at, you're fine. And the cliffs aren't that bad, they just look opposing. I've skied practically every line off the cliffbands and off the backside. Here's a pic of 10 year old HarkinBanks Jr. pointing out the route "Toilet Bowl" that he just skied down with me. 5-6 turns at the top, 1 check turn, 10-12 feet of air, stomping the landing, and riding off. Made his 8 year old sister very jealous.




As far as skiing at "Grand Foggee", as I have said before, big turns and big thighs (along with big skis) are the key.

Not that I want to be a personal guide for everyone here on this board, but if some of you do hit GT, look me up and I can show you the sh*t.

HB
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHrefugee
How early in Dec? JH doesn't open until Dec 7-10th depending on the calendar. I believe last year the tram opened on the 15th. I suggest you call your booking agent and start praying for snow.

Hopefully the snow on the hills presently is a good omen for early season skiing.
Early, we arrive in Seattle on December 2nd and drive straight across the next day... The snow prayers have already begun!!!! We'll be out that way for a week or so.

Not open until the 7th?? That could be tragic... At least the scenery should be fantastic, not much of a consolation prize, when hoping for a quality ski holiday. Also have fingers crossed for a good & early snow year in the PNW as well.:

I know, I know we were way too optimistic when planning this trip, in theory it was more about visiting family rather than skiing....
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by begorrah
Early, we arrive in Seattle on December 2nd and drive straight across the next day... The snow prayers have already begun!!!! We'll be out that way for a week or so.

Not open until the 7th?? That could be tragic... At least the scenery should be fantastic, not much of a consolation prize, when hoping for a quality ski holiday. Also have fingers crossed for a good & early snow year in the PNW as well.:

I know, I know we were way too optimistic when planning this trip, in theory it was more about visiting family rather than skiing....
You might get lucky. Two years ago we skied at Stevens Pass in late November. OTOH, this year we didn't really get to ski much at all.
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpeak
You might get lucky. Two years ago we skied at Stevens Pass in late November. OTOH, this year we didn't really get to ski much at all.
JH's opening date has nothing to do with snow conditions and more to do with not enough business to make it worthwhile to be open. Alot of people think it has to do with the NFS but they could amend their permit if they wanted to open earlier.
post #40 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkinBanks
As long as you know where you're at, you're fine. And the cliffs aren't that bad, they just look opposing. I've skied practically every line off the cliffbands and off the backside. Here's a pic of 10 year old HarkinBanks Jr. pointing out the route "Toilet Bowl" that he just skied down with me. 5-6 turns at the top, 1 check turn, 10-12 feet of air, stomping the landing, and riding off. Made his 8 year old sister very jealous.
Just what we need: 10 year olds pushing us off cliffs!
Nothing I'd like more than to try to keep up some time, but your son is probably too fast (or will be soon) for the old man.
post #41 of 49
HB, what happened to the great picture of your son pointing at that gnarly line in "toilet bowl"?
post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by begorrah
Early, we arrive in Seattle on December 2nd and drive straight across the next day... The snow prayers have already begun!!!! We'll be out that way for a week or so.

Not open until the 7th?? That could be tragic... At least the scenery should be fantastic, not much of a consolation prize, when hoping for a quality ski holiday. Also have fingers crossed for a good & early snow year in the PNW as well.:

I know, I know we were way too optimistic when planning this trip, in theory it was more about visiting family rather than skiing....
The scenery is fantastic times ten. Even if you can't ski JH, if there is good snow cover Snow King will prob be open and Grand Targhee too. Find a local and check out Teton Pass. Frequent poster Bob Peters has some excellent posts with photos regarding Teton Pass. Again, this will work if they have some good early snow cover...keep those prayers going.

Hope you can work it out to ski JH but if not I bet you will have the quality ski holiday that will be talked about for years to come.

Also, cross country skiing in Grand Teton and/or Yellowstone National Parks is amazing. Great restaurants and many other unique outdoor activites. A ride thru the National Elk Refuge is awesome if there has been enough snow in the high country to bring them down to the valley in early Dec. You ride a sleigh thru a herd of 10,000 elk. Boy I miss that place...
post #43 of 49
so can anybody - recommend an outfit in JH that can take us backcountry skiing in the Tetons - in the area between JH and GT.
last year we did some BC off of Rendezvous bowl using JHMR guides. want to
try something different this year.
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider
HB, what happened to the great picture of your son pointing at that gnarly line in "toilet bowl"?
I'm not sure. About 1/3 to 1/2 of the photos at Biglines.com aren't coming up and that's what I used to post them.

Looks like I need to look into different posting software.

Since I just started posting pics and this happens, I'm open for suggestions. Pros/Cons.

Sony Imagestation maybe?

I'd really like to do it on my own computer.

Yes, I did use the search button - that's how I ended up at Biglines. It was working fine up until this morning.

HB
post #45 of 49
HB -

Any plans that you know of to run a lift to the top of Mary's Nipple. I had a great time out there int he winter of 2000 when it was a pretty lousy snow year for everyone else. JH was the suck, but GT got hit with a front that dropped about 12-14" new on the Nipple with much less at the base. Given the amount of snow it gets back there and the nice terrain, I was wondering if they'd keep it hike-to only or make access easier.
post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
HB -

Any plans that you know of to run a lift to the top of Mary's Nipple. I had a great time out there int he winter of 2000 when it was a pretty lousy snow year for everyone else. JH was the suck, but GT got hit with a front that dropped about 12-14" new on the Nipple with much less at the base. Given the amount of snow it gets back there and the nice terrain, I was wondering if they'd keep it hike-to only or make access easier.
Tin Woodsman, no plans for a lift up Mary's. (We can't call it Mary's Nipple anymore because some tourist family complianed that they were offended by the word "nipple". So now it's just "Mary's". Makes one wonder what they thought of GRAND TETON National Park.) See my post #12 in this thread for most of the details on lifts.

Besides, the hike up Mary's is only 10 minutes, not really lift worthy. Also, the topography (the peak itself) doesn't have a bench where a top terminal could be sited and a lift wouldn't access enough additional terrain (acreage) to justify it being placed there.

Also, for those of you looking for the picture of 10 yr old HB Jr. and his run off of Toilet Bowl, here it is again. FYI, this run is a 10 minute hike (at most) from the top of the Sacajawea lift.



HB
post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkinBanks
Tin Woodsman, no plans for a lift up Mary's. (We can't call it Mary's Nipple anymore because some tourist family complianed that they were offended by the word "nipple". So now it's just "Mary's". Makes one wonder what they thought of GRAND TETON National Park.) See my post #12 in this thread for most of the details on lifts.

Besides, the hike up Mary's is only 10 minutes, not really lift worthy. Also, the topography (the peak itself) doesn't have a bench where a top terminal could be sited and a lift wouldn't access enough additional terrain (acreage) to justify it being placed there.

Also, for those of you looking for the picture of 10 yr old HB Jr. and his run off of Toilet Bowl, here it is again. FYI, this run is a 10 minute hike (at most) from the top of the Sacajawea lift.



HB

Yeah, I knew it had changed to just "Mary's", but I'm offended by the prissiness, so I refuse to knuckle under to "the man". In retrospect, you're probably right about the vertical and topography issues. Though I will tell you that with all that new snow back there (the drifts along the ridge were a few feet deep), that hike took a LOT longer than 10 minutes. Good times.

Very impressive stuff by a 10 year old HB Jr. When we were out there, the Sac lift wasn't in place yet but as we were traversing along the south wall of that draw b/w Peaked and Fred's, we saw two patrollers take that chute in the midst of the great dump we were receiving. Those are the only real steeps in-bounds, as far as I could see, but that whole place was just a great playground.
post #48 of 49
[quote=Though I will tell you that with all that new snow back there (the drifts along the ridge were a few feet deep), that hike took a LOT longer than 10 minutes. Good times.

QUOTE]

I've made the hike in under 9 mintues (timing myself) from where you take your skis off at the big orange sign at the top of Scotty's to where you put your skis on up on the main traverse (above the tree with the toboggan in it) on Mary's. Most times it takes me around 10 minutes, with the boot pack in. Other times, when I've been the first one out after a big dump, wading through thigh deep snow, it's taken close to an hour. Round trips on Mary's (from the bottom of DC, up Mary's, and skiing back down to the bottom of DC) are usually around 50 minutes. Obviously it's best to let the boot pack get put in before going up.

Anyone notice the poaching that Elan did on Grand Targhee on page 149 of SKIING's Gear Guide '06 (October 2005 issue)? This is exactly the area TW is talking about. FYI, everything left of the ridge in the shadows and beyond is OB and uncontrolled. Everything in the foreground and the peak (Mary's) that is shown on the right with riders climbing straight up the fall line is in-bounds. The photo doesn't do the area justice, but I'm sure Elan was trying to hide it a little.

And before anyone asks, of course those fire hydrants are there.

HB
post #49 of 49
JH does have the fixed opening date of first Saturday in December. It is a steep mountain needing ample coverage to be skiable. In recent years it has tended to reach 75% to close to full operation right around Christmas. Targhee is more intermediate and gets more snow, but it tends to be gradual and consistent rather than in big dumps. Thus it is slam-dunk reliable by Christmas, but not so automatic first week of December.

Despite last year, the Northwest areas have as good a chance as any of big snow in early December, and if they have it, they will be open due to the Seattle population base. So I would remain flexible, since your best first week of December skiing may be at someplace like Mt. Baker or Stevens Pass. And a drive to Whistler would be a lot easier than to Wyoming.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Who has been to Grand Targhee Resort?