EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Fourteen Weeks until Thanksgiving!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fourteen Weeks until Thanksgiving!!!

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
That doesn't sound too bad, does it? My first ski trip of the season is always over Thanksgiving - to Wolf Creek. They always have the earliest and best snow. It's about a 12 hour drive from Tucson, but well worth it! It has been a tradition now for about the last five years. Anyone else have that tradition?
post #2 of 16
Kind of. I start skiing when Okemo opens in early Nov. For Thanksgiving, we have a family dinner around 2PM, then when the dishwasher is turner on we leave the house for VT. It's a 2 hour drive.
post #3 of 16
Yea
Pray for loads of snow!!!
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFox
That doesn't sound too bad, does it? My first ski trip of the season is always over Thanksgiving - to Wolf Creek. They always have the earliest and best snow. It's about a 12 hour drive from Tucson, but well worth it! It has been a tradition now for about the last five years. Anyone else have that tradition?
For the last three years, WC has been 100% with good coverage the first week of November.
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Yep! It's a sure thing! I usually have the turkey dinner and stuff the weekend before with my family so I don't have to feel guilty. Then we drive all day Thursday, ski Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and drive back Monday. There's about 10 of us from Tucson that make the trip every year.
post #6 of 16
After a few years of making my first turns in January I decided to take a scuba vacation to the Caribbean last Thanksgiving. So naturally it snowed 82 inches at Mammoth in October and I went up there Nov. 13-14 http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boa...opic.php?t=194.

I still respect the historical record and have the same plans this year. But I won't complain if the snow comes early again.
post #7 of 16
to heck with waiting for thanksgiving !

dont know if it was noticed by all, but copper's new site listed an open date of NOV. 4 !

nothing like a 15" base and 5 trails to keep you skiing from open to close.(note sarcasm)
post #8 of 16
I started October 22 at Kirkwood and posted this at the end of the day. Hoping for a repeat performance. Anytime we have good conditions before Thanksgiving is a bonus, but before Halloween? Thats a premium.
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 

Woah! That's phenomenal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider
I started October 22 at Kirkwood and posted this at the end of the day. Hoping for a repeat performance. Anytime we have good conditions before Thanksgiving is a bonus, but before Halloween? Thats a premium.
I can't blame you for those bragging rights! That's really early! Of course when you live in the desert (Tucson) anything before January is epic!
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider
I started October 22 at Kirkwood and posted this at the end of the day. Hoping for a repeat performance. Anytime we have good conditions before Thanksgiving is a bonus, but before Halloween? Thats a premium.
That picture just holds my attention, ... I've looked at it on here several times before. And every time I look at it, and consider that it was October 22nd, it's inspiring to say the least.
post #11 of 16
My tradition is to go wherever the first good snow of the season is. Last season, it was Snowbird, November 6, skiing knee deep pow!

I'm hoping that there will be some awesome early season dumps this year, as I am jonesing very badly.
post #12 of 16
[quote=Alta Skier]Why the !@#$% do we have SUMMER????!!!!!
QUOTE]

Probably so we appreciateskiing more, LOL
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkMountainSkier
That picture just holds my attention, ... I've looked at it on here several times before. And every time I look at it, and consider that it was October 22nd, it's inspiring to say the least.
I agree, I had it as my desktop for a while.
post #14 of 16
Quote:
I'm hoping that there will be some awesome early season dumps this year, as I am jonesing very badly.
No SA trip this year Xdog?
post #15 of 16
I don't see me getting out until early December anyway.
post #16 of 16
13 years of Wolf Creek early season history at the bottom of http://people.montana.com/~jbraun/coloearly.htm .

Looks like Thanksgiving is good about 70% of the time. But it's volatile, almost bare the other 30%. That's probably as good a Thanksgiving record as anywhere. If you want to do any better than that, follow xdog1's advice and wait to see who has snow.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Fourteen Weeks until Thanksgiving!!!