or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ESA East Weekend - Page 3

post #61 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiDeC58
I just booked my room at StoweFlake ($100 per night as advertised) but was told that availability was getting low. The reservation clerk told me that there were only 4 or 5 more room left at the Epic group price. He said once they were gone he didn't know if they would be able to open up more rooms at that price or not and noted that availability for that weekend was getting thin in general so:

If you are going to ESA East and you want to stay at StoweFlake for the group rate then I would suggest making your reservations ASAP.
Looks like that guy was either wrong or was trying to pressure you. "What would it take to get you in this car - TODAY?"
post #62 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAU
Spoke to my chief resident today, and there is a "possibility" of me being allowed that weekend off. Where is the nearest airport to Stowe?
Burlington, Vt. about a 45 to 60 minute drive to Stowe from the airport.
post #63 of 139
Frau, we live in Essex Junction, less than eight miles from Burlington airport (which happens to be in South Burlington). Depending on your arrival time, we may be able to bring you to Stowe. My wifey [Dr. Bigfoot on this website, but not yet a Ph.D. - next year it will happen] would undoubtedly love to you meet you as much as I would.

Please PM me if this will help.
post #64 of 139
Having met them both, I can safely say that Frau and Dr. Bigfoot would be quite the dynamic duo!
post #65 of 139
LM, we should have a Women of Epicski Gathering.
What a time that would be!
post #66 of 139
Can you do a calendar too?
post #67 of 139
Been doing some logistical figuring and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do this after all.

I'd be on-call Thursday morning thru Friday noon on my feet with little to no sleep, have to leave directly from the hospital to drive to Pitt Airport.Then have a layover in either Philly or NYC and get to Burlington in mid-evening, and still have to drive to Stowe. Crash Friday night, ski hard (and drink and socialize) for two days, fly back late Sunday and have to get up Monday to be on-call that night again. All to the tune of about a thousand dollars 'till I add airfare and room to the weekend fee. I'm not sure I have the stamina or the holiday cash to do that.

Haven't given up yet, (after all I managed the whirlwind trip to Loveland), but I may be better off just saving it all for the trip to Utah in Feb.
post #68 of 139

Re: attending and kids

My wife, Marcia and I are planning on attending for our first Epic Ski Academy. Marcia did two sequential seasons of the Lito course, "Breakthrough on Skis" in Aspen/Snowmass January 2003 and January 2004. We also have a 15 1/2 year old daughter who is a tremendous skier. She will definitely be with us and might be VERY interested in a teen academy if the level were strong enough and there were to be differing levels where she would find a fit. In any event, the two of us are planning on attending. Looking forward.
post #69 of 139
We are excited to have you and Marcia and your daughter coming. Epic is on staff at Stowe's snowsports school and will be able to recommend the best deal for your daughter if a teen academy group doesn't materialize.
post #70 of 139
So realistically, the price will be over $500...If one does not live near Stowe. This seems quite high for 2 Days. Are there any lift access privledges(line cutting?).
post #71 of 139
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shen
So realistically, the price will be over $500...If one does not live near Stowe. This seems quite high for 2 Days. Are there any lift access privledges(line cutting?).
No, there are not, but in the past two years, I don't think there has been any need either.
post #72 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shen
So realistically, the price will be over $500...If one does not live near Stowe. This seems quite high for 2 Days. Are there any lift access privledges(line cutting?).
Shen, two things, first lift line cutting, and secondly price.

Lift line cutting: At the first Eastern Tune Up, there were no line cutting privileges and clearly no need for that. I am told that the same was true at the second ETU. The timing of the weekend event is perfect - if it were in February, for example, the weekend crowds would make a difference.

Price: Your statement on price is incomplete. The tuition cost includes a fantastic breakfast, dinner, and evening presentation as well as two days of lift tix and two days of coaching. That's $350. To get it over $500, one would need to throw in two nights at the Stoweflake, single occupancy. If you are with a partner, the room price is halved, per person. If you get cheaper digs, it can be even less.
post #73 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by oboe
Shen, two things, first lift line cutting, and secondly price.

Lift line cutting: At the first Eastern Tune Up, there were no line cutting privileges and clearly no need for that. I am told that the same was true at the second ETU. The timing of the weekend event is perfect - if it were in February, for example, the weekend crowds would make a difference.

Price: Your statement on price is incomplete. The tuition cost includes a fantastic breakfast, dinner, and evening presentation as well as two days of lift tix and two days of coaching. That's $350. To get it over $500, one would need to throw in two nights at the Stoweflake, single occupancy. If you are with a partner, the room price is halved, per person. If you get cheaper digs, it can be even less.
OK,
If I go with your reasoning....$450...including lodging......plus It will cost me about $140 in fuel round trip.
The only comparison I can make is the PSIA PRO JAM:
FIVE DAYS of instruction, including lifts, with banquet and video analysis.

If we just compare the 'meat'...
$350 for 2 days @ Epic
$342 for 5 days @ Pro Jam.
I would assume that some of the 'instructors' cross over both events. I know it is not a perfect comparison reference....Yet, I would have thought the prices to be relatively closer.
post #74 of 139
In other words, if they all become PSIA Level I or better instructors and can get tfour days off for this in the middle of the week, they have it MADE! C'mon, MAN!
post #75 of 139
It just cost me $40+ to drive to to Franconia Notch this weekend. If I were to look at the mileage only, I should be happy with the mileage I got, but the price of the gas has put a damper on that. Franconia is much closer to me than Stowe. Gas prices are killing me. I am spending more than $40 a week just to go back and forth to work. Home heating fuel is also up there. We did not get a "cost of living" increase at work this year, in fact, they want us to take a 4% cut in pay and our negotiations are at a standstill, salaries frozen at last years rates...but our insurance went up.

It's going to be VERY tight for me this year. My only hope to attend lies in my ability to raise the funds on eBay...which means selling off my ski brochure and postcard collection. I may not know if I can attend till close to the date of the event.
post #76 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by oboe
In other words, if they all become PSIA Level I or better instructors and can get tfour days off for this in the middle of the week, they have it MADE! C'mon, MAN!
I would suggest you reread my post. It clearly states that is NOT A PERFECT COMPARISON REFERENCE. Instead of getting defensive maybe a clearer picture of why one SHOULD attend would be more appropriate. The above quote in no way facilitates your objective.
post #77 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shen
OK,
If I go with your reasoning....$450...including lodging......plus It will cost me about $140 in fuel round trip.
The only comparison I can make is the PSIA PRO JAM:
FIVE DAYS of instruction, including lifts, with banquet and video analysis.

If we just compare the 'meat'...
$350 for 2 days @ Epic
$342 for 5 days @ Pro Jam.
I would assume that some of the 'instructors' cross over both events. I know it is not a perfect comparison reference....Yet, I would have thought the prices to be relatively closer.
The big difference I see here is that the ski area usually comps the tickets for PSIA events. Obviously, that's a big deal. That is one of the benefits of PSIA membership events, however. If you remove the lift ticket pricing from the ESA EW event, I think that will be a better comparison of cost structure. However, obviously, to an "end-user" the comparable value is greater at the Jam--if one qualifies.
post #78 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shen
I would suggest you reread my post. It clearly states that is NOT A PERFECT COMPARISON REFERENCE. Instead of getting defensive maybe a clearer picture of why one SHOULD attend would be more appropriate. The above quote in no way facilitates your objective.
At the Pro Jam you would have to be a level 3 to be guaranteed the level of coaching you get at the ESA East Weekend.
post #79 of 139
New tagline for ESA, "Where regular skiers get the quality of training that is usually reserved for highly certified ski pros."
post #80 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo
New tagline for ESA, "Where regular skiers get the quality of training that is usually reserved for highly certified ski pros."
I have to concur. I have taken "lessons", but have never had the same level of instruction as I have received at ETU. (Now don't get all bent out of shape over the name. When I took the course it WAS ETU so there is no inaccuracy, impropriety or trademark infringement). If you have never been to an Epic Event and can possibly make it, you really do owe it to yourself--If not now, then when?? --Hope to see many of you there.
post #81 of 139
Alright,
I have been away from my computer for a couple of days. Some excellent responses here. I see I need to clarify:
First and foremost, I am not trying to rain on anyones parade..... Nor, am I taking away from the legitimacy of this event. Skiing venues are always appreciated.
Secondly, I am not advocating PSIA, the organization works for some not for others....That is up to the individual to decide. The comparison was made because it was the most readily available resource for a structured learning event, inwhich, pricing is publicly accessible.

My point, is that in weighing out the REAL costs including travel, hotel, meals, etc......It was my personal conclusion....of which, I am entitled....That dropping over $500 for a weekend is a lot......Each individual will need to research their options and decide whether this is the event for them or not.


To address a few things:
SMJ:"Just comes down to your perception of Value"....Perfectly stated.

ssh: Not sure if they comp the tickets or give a reduced fee...I will have to look into that.

Springhill: Not trying to cause a flame war.....but there are so many things wrong with your statement ....I am not sure where to begin.

Nolo: When I first read your post. I thought it had a nice ring to it. In re-reading it......It has the flavor of alienating 'Pro's' ... In other words.....How would a 'Pro' be drawn to the event?

RiDeC58: Sounds like you had a worthy experience
post #82 of 139

ok ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo
New tagline for ESA, "Where regular skiers get the quality of training that is usually reserved for highly certified ski pros."
I do my best to stay regular ... well, you know the rest. So what do we irregular skiers do?

Certifiable ski pros and incontient skiers! :
post #83 of 139
Will I be going to ESA East Weekend?

DEPENDS. :
post #84 of 139
The world needs more editors, that's for sure.
post #85 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo
New tagline for ESA, "Where regular skiers get the quality of training that is usually reserved for highly certified ski pros."
Maybe "Where the common skier gets the quality training usually reserved for highly certified pros." instead of "regular skiers" would work.
post #86 of 139
"Where you get the quality of training usually reserved for the pros."
post #87 of 139
Well put, SSH, and totally accurate. I've attended both the PSIA Projam and the PSIA National Academy and can vouch that anyone attending an Epicski event gets instruction that is AT LEAST comparable, if not better. As I've said before, the instructors you get at Epic events are among the best in the world. Anyone wanting to improve as a skier (and have a great time as well) can not do better. Shen: There are a number of instructors who attend Epic academies who feel the same. It's just a great product.
post #88 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachskiljp
Maybe "Where the common skier gets the quality training usually reserved for highly certified pros." instead of "regular skiers" would work.
Hey I resent that! I may be ALOT of things, but I'm certainly not "common".
post #89 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAU
Hey I resent that! I may be ALOT of things, but I'm certainly not "common".
Did you mean to say, "Hey I represent that..."?
post #90 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachskiljp
Did you mean to say, "Hey I represent that..."?
Rats - BUSTED!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Epicski Academy