EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What is your favorite brand of boots?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is your favorite brand of boots? - Page 2

post #31 of 59
Snowbear, I hear you. The Beasts actually fit me pretty well. But I couldn't get the right size (my feet are so small!), and the XTs just felt awesome to me. A step above the Beast, for sure (for me!).
post #32 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by gonzostrike:
Steve sees the forest, despite all those pesky trees that are in the field of view.

[img]graemlins/evilgrin.gif[/img]
Umm, shouldn't that be skies the forest?
Jules
post #33 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by gonzostrike:
this poll is silly.
How rude... maybe you didn't read the post about how no one was posting [img]tongue.gif[/img] ...I thought a poll would be a good way to initiate some conversation, plus I was curious what boots people like. I just bought new boots the other day and had a hard time deciding between Salomon xwave 9W or Dalbello CRX. I ended up going with the Salomon's because I currently had Salomon's, thus I knew how they performed and I didn't know anything about Dalbellos because I don't know anyone who even has any. Obviously, fit is the most important thing but a lot of boots are similar so why do you ultimately pick them...is it brand, is it appearance, features, etc?

If you don't like my poll than don't vote or maybe I'll switch to a different board...
post #34 of 59
xrisi421, for me it always comes down to fit. One has a bit less pinch here, better feel there, or whatever. In this year's case, the XT flexed more smoothly than any boot I had ever worn, and wrapped my foot closer than I thought possible. I don't doubt that other boots could do that, but I had no pressure points in the boot at all. In the end, I went with the one that felt the best. Brand had no bearing at all.
post #35 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by xrisi421:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by gonzostrike:
this poll is silly.
How rude... maybe you didn't read the post about how no one was posting [img]tongue.gif[/img] ...I thought a poll would be a good way to initiate some conversation,

...

If you don't like my poll than don't vote or maybe I'll switch to a different board...
</font>[/quote]xrisi421, remember that Gonzo's way of stirring things up is being blunt. You may find that the two of you actually have the same goal! As with so many things in life, it's better to not assume malice.
post #36 of 59
"rude" goes too far, it assumes intent.

my intent? to make you think about your question and how ANYONE taking the time to read it and answer it will have contributed ANYTHING to the process of bootfitting knowledge.

a better set of questions would have been,

"what does each manufacturer's boot fit like?

"where is the boot (a) narrow, (b) medium, (c) wide -- if at all?

"is this boot's shaft volume better for skinny, average or wide ankles/calves?

Someone's favorite boot SHOULD BE the one that fits best. Shouldn't matter a whit what the boot looks like, what it cost, what famous skier endorses it, what hot chick likes guys that wear 'em, etc., etc., etc.

now if you want to call me rude for pointing out that your question gets us nowhere and insults MY intelligence (at the very least, and probably more than mine), then I guess I am "rude." [img]tongue.gif[/img]

but it certainly makes YOU boorish and neandertal. [img]graemlins/evilgrin.gif[/img]
post #37 of 59
I've loved both of my Solomon boots that I have had! My Dachsteins were pretty good as well. I am currently looking at boots. I'm between getting a new pair of Solomons, Nordica 10 or 12 and the new Technica's with the hinged top closure 8X I think.
post #38 of 59
Hot Chicks Like guys for wearing a particular brand of boot? Ok Here is my question. What Brand of boots do chicks like to see guys wear? Does color play into this or would any color do? [img]graemlins/evilgrin.gif[/img]
post #39 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by Utah49:
Hot Chicks Like guys for wearing a particular brand of boot? Ok Here is my question. What Brand of boots do chicks like to see guys wear? Does color play into this or would any color do? [img]graemlins/evilgrin.gif[/img]
Do a poll for god sakes. We need this data now! We inferior intellects will fill it out and the towering intellects will rage about it since that is the best use of such intellect.
post #40 of 59
Scalce,

Believe it or not, my post was not meant as an attack on xrisi421 (I now realize she is your wife). Originally I thought that the post/poll was a "troll affair" because the poll itself is somewhat silly. Sorry, but that was my initial reaction. Yes, the generated discussion is good and could be helpful for someone selecting boots, but that does not change the original poll.

I don't think anyone would suggest that xrisi421 (or anyone else) stop posting. On the contrary, let's keep it coming. But I don't think it makes sense to get so upset at someone pointing out that the poll could have been better worded.

In any case, my apologies to xrisi421 and you.
post #41 of 59
I wear Daleboots because nothing else fits my giant calves.
post #42 of 59
L7,I'm going to work On that poll. This is going to take some doing. I mean first we have to define The term "Hot chick" does a hot chick have to ski, or just look good while hanging out in a bar in a ski town? Can she look"hot" and be a low level intermediate skier? or does she have to be an excellent skier? If she can ski better then most guys is she still "hot"? I mean, will thier manhood be diminished and small egos crushed by her ability to the point that any self respeacting guy could no longer see her as "hot". Will buying the right boots restore the ego? Do they also need to buy the right skis? As you can see it is all so complicated. I might just have to hire a professional polling compy. After all we don't want another flawed poll
post #43 of 59
arcadie
The Nordica has all of those features except the "moldable" liner. The liners are Outlast and very warm. They are very comfortable and easy to walk in. With practice you can arc some pretty nice turns too. They're great for teaching and not bad in bumps.
When I was in Switzerland a couple years ago I saw people walking around in town, a long ways from any lifts, wearing them. I use them about 90% of the time I'm on skis.
post #44 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by Utah49:
L7,I'm going to work On that poll. This is going to take some doing. I mean first we have to define The term "Hot chick" does a hot chick have to ski, or just look good while hanging out in a bar in a ski town? Can she look"hot" and be a low level intermediate skier? or does she have to be an excellent skier? If she can ski better then most guys is she still "hot"? I mean, will thier manhood be diminished and small egos crushed by her ability to the point that any self respeacting guy could no longer see her as "hot". Will buying the right boots restore the ego? Do they also need to buy the right skis? As you can see it is all so complicated. I might just have to hire a professional polling compy. After all we don't want another flawed poll
I agree we're in professional territory. Don't forget we have to factor in guys who vote who THINK they know what hot chicks will find dead sexy on them. The easy suggestion here is just determine which votes are cast by men in this manner and then count it as the opposite to accurately reflect the female demographic whose opinion we seek.

We might have to do a separate poll to first determine hotness. I suggest anyone's wife who is on the board is automatically hot.

ONCE THE RESULTS ARE IN I'M BUYING A PAIR!

[ February 17, 2004, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: L7 ]
post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally posted by TomB:
Scalce,

Believe it or not, my post was not meant as an attack on xrisi421 (I now realize she is your wife). Originally I thought that the post/poll was a "troll affair" because the poll itself is somewhat silly. Sorry, but that was my initial reaction. Yes, the generated discussion is good and could be helpful for someone selecting boots, but that does not change the original poll.

I don't think anyone would suggest that xrisi421 (or anyone else) stop posting. On the contrary, let's keep it coming. But I don't think it makes sense to get so upset at someone pointing out that the poll could have been better worded.

In any case, my apologies to xrisi421 and you.
No problem man.

She can take care of herself. She doesn't need me.



I knew as soon as she posted it that people would think it was too general and didn't serve a purpose. This is the intellectual skiing message board capital of the world.

It's just been really boring around here and I would rather read a crappy post then no post and I think my wife was trying to get something going.

So start posting some good stuff for us to read.
post #46 of 59
I'm a Dalbello fan. Now an even bigger fan with the Krypton coming out. I had a chance to hold the two models and try on one. Great fit - Great look - now I just need to ski them.

Can't wait.
post #47 of 59
Hmmmmmm I guess hot chicks don't dig Rossignols?
post #48 of 59
My favorite ski boot is one that is on my foot. If it's not on my foot, then it really doesn't matter much to me at all. In my 38+ years skiing I have had many pairs of boots, some better than others, but all great at the time I owned them. I even thought my Solomon sx83 (rear entry) boots were great!
post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB
Scalce,

Believe it or not, my post was not meant as an attack on xrisi421 (I now realize she is your wife) : ... In any case, my apologies to xrisi421 and you.


FOUL BALL! A spouse should not be allowed to reply to the other's posts here! What is this, the damn Newlywed Game?
This is unethical, not to mention a copyright infringement. I think my friend Bob


is going to be very interested in the link to this thread.
post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalce
Do you ever post anything that does not criticize something or someone?

[img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ February 16, 2004, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Scalce ]
He & Crusty Rusty must have gone to different schools together?
post #51 of 59
BTW, I know what you're thinking: "Hmm...Bob looks like a big rear-entry guy to me."
Well, I've had my suspicions as well, but last time I saw him, he was with a pretty hot looking snowboard chick, so there's just no proof to those rumors at this point.
post #52 of 59
I decided no boot fit my foot worth a damn so if I was going to have to make something fit with a lot of grinding and & so forth anyway, might as well go with a plug. Also I had a huge problem with Lange 120 Comp MF & Atomic 10.20 packing out really bad, especially the Lange. So I went with a boot with the thinnest liner, reasonable flex and fairly upright stance (which is a lot more difficult to modify than fitting a boot to your forefoot). Salomon X2 Lab (soft) in a 27 shell was the answer. Not very warm though! But no pack out at all after 70-80 days and they ski great, with triple Booster straps of course.
post #53 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvemeister
BTW, I know what you're thinking: "Hmm...Bob looks like a big rear-entry guy to me."
Well, I've had my suspicions as well, but last time I saw him, he was with a pretty hot looking snowboard chick, so there's just no proof to those rumors at this point.
Rear-entry? Hot snowboard chick? Sounds like fun to me!!!!

We call 'em clamshells with oven dials. Does he have a one piece powder suit with a belt too? That's probably what got him the Hot Babe!
post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by suebrown
I wear Daleboots because nothing else fits my giant calves.
Sue,
I have giant calves too! I have had success with the newer Solomons on the market, the Dachstein's a few years ago (are they even made anymore?) with the collar "blown out", I have also had some success with Dalbello's but had to have other mods done to make them stiff enough (6 years ago). I tried on the Nordica 10w and 12w recently and they now have the ability to adjust to even my calf. I just bought the Technica Rivals and they have a generous calf as well.

The good news, there are some boots on the market now that realize that many women do have a wider calf and a wider foot. It may take a while, but if you look around they can be found.

Dale boot is a great boot though so I know you are probably happy with yours. (I just can't afford them.)
post #55 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by carvemeister


FOUL BALL! A spouse should not be allowed to reply to the other's posts here! What is this, the damn Newlywed Game?
This is unethical, not to mention a copyright infringement. I think my friend Bob


is going to be very interested in the link to this thread.
Very Nice!!!!
post #56 of 59
Last summer there was a sale at the local ski shop, and I sat around for probably 45 discouraging minutes trying on all sorts of boots. Couldn't find a comfortable pair ( I have problem feet).

A guy sat down next to me to try on a new pair of the preceeeding season Salomon Course boots which he had found on the discount rack. They didn't fit him, but I noticed they were my size. I gave them a shot. Perfect. I couldn't believe it-- what good luck.

And the price was drastically discounted too.

Anyway, I skied them all last winter, and they were great. I have serious issues with my left ankle, and my old boots weren't providing sufficient support. I was having a very hard time skiing on slopes canted to the left-- which substantially limited terrain I could ski. But the Courses were superb. I was able to ski the entire mountain, and had no discomfort They really did make skiing much more enjoyable for me.
post #57 of 59
I'll weigh in on this. I think the new Tecnica Diablo boot line has tremendous aesthetics. Its just a great looking boot with a ton of great features and I think it will fit a lot of people. I don't have a pair. I tried to buy on ebay a pair of last year's from Cuppolo and I forgot you can't get something for nothing!

I like my Dalbello V Pros from two years ago. Very adjustable but probably don't need the volume of this boot. It skis great 99% per cent of the time and may be close to the perfect blend of fit, performance, and comfort.

Skiied it in some steep slop last spring in Vail though and it felt like it grew two sizes in those conditions.
post #58 of 59
Langes all the way for my toothpicks. That and some footbeds and foam calf inserts from GMOL. Heh...I had to close the windows last night for the first time this summer (soon to be fall, tg).
post #59 of 59
I agree with all the Salomon people. I have Salomon Evolution 8.0 and they are great. They are very comfortable. The buckles are medal instead of plastic which is also pretty nice. A good amount of adjustments. I'm sure they have a brand new boot now though. I got mine 1-2 seasons ago (only been skiing 2 seasons)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What is your favorite brand of boots?