or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Has anyone skied The Claw?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Has anyone skied The Claw?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hi all,

Has anyone skied The Claw?
http://www.clawskis.com/

They claim to be the dampest ski in the world. The science seems correct.
post #2 of 17
Nope
post #3 of 17
The Craw?
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesB
The Craw?
NOT The Craw.....THE CRAW!!!!!
post #5 of 17
How 'bout a new, custom flexed Odyssey mid-fat for $169?
And a plane ticket- should come out about the same price.
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch
How 'bout a new, custom flexed Odyssey mid-fat for $169?
And a plane ticket- should come out about the same price.
Has anyone skied these?
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
Has anyone skied these?
ryan has a pair of odessey---don't know if they are mid-fats.

I looked at the brand last yr, but they ONLY come in 177 (I see now there is a real fat, as in 124 waist, in 184) so I canned the idea. 177 is too long for me---especially as the waist gets larger.

I mean the ski's waist---not mine!!:
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
This is from their web site....

-------------
What's does Vibration Damping have to do with skis and skiing ?

Answer: If a ski is continuously making & breaking contact with the snow & ice it is slipping and releasing, causing the skier to constantly adjust angles & forces to maintain control. This excessive adjusting requires additional energy both physical and mental. Ski longer and in control with The CLAW.

The combination of a short radius symmetric side cut plus the patented, extreme damping design of the CLAW gives a unique opportunity for arc-to-arc carved turn skiing. But, your skiing style and movements should be adjusted to best use those new ”tools”. Most of the up and down, fore and aft rotation and subtle edge control required to skid traditional or transitional skis are now superfluous. All of the symmetric CLAWS are best skied with the following guidelines; the goal is to carve most of all your turns and skid into longer or shorter than the carved turn arc only when necessary. Remember, there is only one true carved turn arc (radius) for any given speed and ski side cut radius. Find out what turn the ski wants to carve and evolve your flow down the mountain around this radius.
--------------------

From what I 've read in other forums, its not actually the skis that do the dampening, its the plate. So if you put the CLAW's plate on say a Head Liquid Metal flat ski you'd then have the Dampest ski in the world. Perfect for racing. Anyone else find anything?

So has anyone skied this? Does it ski as good as they claim?
post #9 of 17
Thanks, Phil.
post #10 of 17
froto25, if you're wondering about the static in this thread, that paragraph is what pretty much most of the posters here would write if they were selling skis. Some might even write it better.

The most direct answer to your question might be the post by Physicsman here.
post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Cantunamunch and who ever presumes as he does,

I don't sell the Claw skis. I live in CT and FL, not Maine, where the tiny company that makes the Claw is. I work in the health industry. Moreover, I just saw an add, went to their site, thought the ski was interesting and decided to ask if anyone here skied it. And then, I reasserted my question after you spammed my thread. This is the place to ask such questions. Don't assault me and my interest in their product. If you haven't skied that ski then stay out of the tread. Furthermore, it sounds like you guys have some sort of rivalry with that company. Or do you intend to inhibit curiosity and conversation, like Nazis and Communists? So, I now believe you have interjected to hijack the tread and promote some product that competes with the Claw. That kind of behavior is bad for the forum and will drive away avid recreational skiers like myself, the very people you are trying to attract. At the very least you are rude and at the very most you will destroy this excellent forum. I harshly chastise you.

There is a proper outlet for your differing opinion. If you know of some deficiency in the performance and or construction of a product please point it out. Explain why the product is weak. I encourage the debate of different points of view. However, to stifle or inhibit debate only muddles understanding and contradicts the value of conversation.

Froto
post #12 of 17
froto25, now that you have that off your chest, consider that I was attempting to explain the previous responses in the thread. I am an avid recreational skier just as you are, with no industry connections, and yes, I do presume to ask how much enjoyment of what sort you wish for your dollar. What other point of free discussion? You chastise me for using the search feature to point out that the claims made for the ski you wonder about have yet to be proven? You chastise me for noticing that the language of the advertisement is fairly standard ad copy for a carving ski?
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by froto25
Cantunamunch and who ever presumes as he does,

I don't sell the Claw skis. I live in CT and FL, not Maine, where the tiny company that makes the Claw is. I work in the health industry. Moreover, I just saw an add, went to their site, thought the ski was interesting and decided to ask if anyone here skied it. And then, I reasserted my question after you spammed my thread. This is the place to ask such questions. Don't assault me and my interest in their product. If you haven't skied that ski then stay out of the tread. Furthermore, it sounds like you guys have some sort of rivalry with that company. Or do you intend to inhibit curiosity and conversation, like Nazis and Communists? So, I now believe you have interjected to hijack the tread and promote some product that competes with the Claw. That kind of behavior is bad for the forum and will drive away avid recreational skiers like myself, the very people you are trying to attract. At the very least you are rude and at the very most you will destroy this excellent forum. I harshly chastise you.

There is a proper outlet for your differing opinion. If you know of some deficiency in the performance and or construction of a product please point it out. Explain why the product is weak. I encourage the debate of different points of view. However, to stifle or inhibit debate only muddles understanding and contradicts the value of conversation.

Froto
You already got your answer, Froto, no one, here at least (that have posted, in any event), has seen, heard, or skied this brand.

In the interest of accuracy and full disclosure---which you seem to be insisting on.

I think I may have, once, weeks ago, possibly longer---although on second thounght---maybe not that long ago, heard of "The Claw".

However, I can indeeed state unequivically, that I have never seen, heard, nor skied this brand.

Therefore, I conclude---I have no opinion.:

Does that assauge your, IMHO, rather fragile, sensibilities??
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by froto25
This is from their web site....
-------------
What's does Vibration Damping have to do with skis and skiing ?

Answer: ...snip ... (#1) Remember, there is only one true carved turn arc (radius) for any given speed and ski side cut radius... (#2) ... From what I've read in other forums, its not actually the skis that do the dampening, its the plate. ...
In addition to the comments made by the other participants in this thread, and to return to the subject of Claw skis, the technical accuracy of the above two statements leaves a lot to be desired:

#1 - Howe (or whomever wrote the above material) neglected to mention edge angle and compression of the snow as other important determinants of the radius of a true carved arc.

#2 - What you have read in other forums is wrong. Some ski mfgrs spend a lot of R&D $$$ designing dampening into their skis. Dampening sites strategically placed along the length of a ski can selectively influence various modes of vibration that might not be ameniable to control using only plate-based underfoot damping. The latter is cheap, the former is not.

Since my above two comments were negative, Froto25 may also be worried about my possible bias, business relationships and technical credentials. Let me state that I have skied for 30+ years, but have absolutely no relationship with any ski mfgr.

My experience with people pushing their "new technology" is that when I see someone who wants my money make statements containing either fundamental technical errors or re-stating the obvious as if it was their own invention/idea, I become suspicious of their competance and/or motives. For the reasons I suggested in my post from 2002, the caution flag has been raised in my mind with respect to the mfgr. of Claw skis.

In spite of my concern, I'll reiterate what I said in my 2002 post on this subject:

"... its very possible that Howe has sufficient "art" that he has put together a very nice ski (he has named it The Claw ), and I would love to demo a pair and rank them on how they perform, not what he says. ..."

I still haven't had the opportunity to try them, and still haven't met anyone in the last 3 years (ie, since my last post on this subject) who has tried them.

If I ever do get the chance to try a pair and like them, I might very well buy them, but still continue to criticize major errors I find in the public statements of the mfgr. In fact, I have done exactly this with respect to Head: I own 2 pair of Head skis, love them, and yet have pointed out (on Epic) technical errors on the Head website with respect to their piezo technology. To me, this is ample demonstration of full and open discussion and its influence (or lack thereof) on purchasing decisions.

Tom / PM
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by froto25
From what I 've read in other forums, its not actually the skis that do the dampening, its the plate. So if you put the CLAW's plate on say a Head Liquid Metal flat ski you'd then have the Dampest ski in the world. Perfect for racing. Anyone else find anything?
The history of ski-based vibration dampening is quite old. The Rossi patent od VAS (vibration absorbing system) is from 1980.
Afaik, the wood itself dampens, as well as other layers and the bonds.
Ad-ups like VAS-plates, the old Dynastar "heart" in the ski tip, K2s piezzoelectric system, Dynastars Magnetic, Heads chip, K2s "second core" or MOD Monic, etc. etc., might - or might not - be an effective part of the ski´s dampening.

It wouldn´t be such a technical problem to build the dampest ski in the world, as dead as a fish. Strange enough , no one does so...
post #16 of 17
First timer here.

Well, after following this thread for a while, and seeing that no one has skied the Claw, I decided to stop lurking and register to put my 2 cents in.

I ski the Claw, 162 cm-13 M, 111-71-103. W.B.A.M and have done so for the past 3 years. I am a senior ski patroller, skied for +30 years, work as an engineer in Southeast Michigan and do not have any connection with the Claw makers.

I use the Claw as my primary Southeast Michigan ski, you know short hill, 200 vert, and firm snow. My others skis are Atomic SX-10 and Atomic Mex (got in April out west this year) with occasion use of a Rossi 9S oversize.

For us older types who ski on firm surfaces, the Claw is great. The dampening really works. I can feel the difference in my knees, they are much less sore after a night of fun. Compared to the Rossis and Volkl Carver Plus's I used before the Claw, I can really feel the less vibration in the knees. Now, the dampening is a slight problem out West. I found that compared to Atomic SX-11s that the Claw did not have the same good feel out West with the softer snow groomers as it does with the firm snow in Southeast Michigan. The rebound on Michigan snow is as good as the Rossi's however.

So in summary, not the best out West (CO - Snowmass, Aspen Highlands) but in firm snow, it is a sweet ride that lets us older-knee people keep up with the young ones all night long. Also, the guys who sell the Claw were very helpful, as I had not demo'd a pair and just bought them sight-un-skied from the info on the website and talking with them.

Two other patrollers at my home hill have tried the Claw and preferred it to the SX-10s and the Rossis.
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch
How 'bout a new, custom flexed Odyssey mid-fat for $169?
And a plane ticket- should come out about the same price.
How 'bout an editor for their Odyssey website? Man, if you're going to sell skis as an "internet-only" company, at least make sure you know how to write in proper English. What a crappy website.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Has anyone skied The Claw?