or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 2006 Skis; Pics; Descriptions; Nice site
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2006 Skis; Pics; Descriptions; Nice site

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
http://www.ski-depot.com/miva/mercha..._Code=2006skis

Everything we need to know about 2006 Atomic; K2; and to a lesser degree Elan and Fischer.
post #2 of 35
Great link, thanks. The new K2 freeride skis look awesome
post #3 of 35
Interesting marketing approach from K2 on that site:

"The Apache brotherhood is it. From outrunning Patrol to ducking ropes to cutting lift lines. No vertical steep enough to slow them down. This group is notorious for causing trouble. Their popular exploits and all mountain versatility are the stuff legends are made of."

Is this to be taken seriously? If skiing is being marketed to those that want to outrun patrol, duck ropes, cut lift lines; its going the wrong direction. Its one thing to promote big mountain exploits, but what kind of skier identifies with antisocial or dangerous behavior.
post #4 of 35
Trying to draw the snowbladers in
post #5 of 35
interesting how there are neox bindings on the gs11, are they finally ditching the old bindings?
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider
Interesting marketing approach from K2 on that site:

"The Apache brotherhood is it. From outrunning Patrol to ducking ropes to cutting lift lines. No vertical steep enough to slow them down. This group is notorious for causing trouble. Their popular exploits and all mountain versatility are the stuff legends are made of."

Is this to be taken seriously? If skiing is being marketed to those that want to outrun patrol, duck ropes, cut lift lines; its going the wrong direction. Its one thing to promote big mountain exploits, but what kind of skier identifies with antisocial or dangerous behavior.

You're right. Call in the fbi to shut those fools down. I bet they like rap music too!
post #7 of 35
Hey guys, slow down. Cutting lift lines is SO cool! It's just ahead of saying the "f" word 10 times while in lift line and sitting down/standing in front of the lift line and talking with other cool dudes and bettys (you know, the place you are trying to get into and you have to weave around them to get into the line). You recognize them, the ones in the hooded, oversized sweatshirt, that is soaked around the ass from sitting down.
post #8 of 35
Hey, running out patrol is cool. Even cooler if it is avalanche patrol just setting of some bombs. Nah just kidding.
Common who doesn't love to do those things?
But I don't, my skifield has no rules except that you are responsible! That's the way to go .
post #9 of 35
neox bindings on most all production skis, all world cup skis use the 17mm plates which require the stand height of the regular race bindings (with the exception of the new junior super-g's)
post #10 of 35
Hey logruve, like your stuff; there was another guy posting around, logruve_
Not sure about him?
post #11 of 35
Outrunning patrol is impressive?

Meh. The patrol here in the east are a bunch of geezin' geezers that couldn't catch your typical 6 year old in a tuck.
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proneax
interesting how there are neox bindings on the gs11, are they finally ditching the old bindings?
There have been neox bindings on the GS11 for a year now, and yes, they are ditching the production models of the old bindings. The race binding will continue to be the 1018 AFAIK, and I'm sure they'll build the lower DIN binders for the wee ones.
post #13 of 35
lol...my evil twin
post #14 of 35
I can't escape any patroller. At least not at the home mountain. They all know me and would come find me later. But, in the end, I would just buy 'em a couple pints and burn one and be cool again.
post #15 of 35
Why are they marketing Apache line like that? I would think the typical buyer would be in the 30+ range expert skiier not wanting to ride the Vicious.
post #16 of 35
I wonder how sales were last year in the (30+ range expert skiier not wanting to ride the Vicious) I for one was not going to buy a white ski./ Maybe they just hired a new marketing person (Non skier fresh out of college)
post #17 of 35
Thread Starter 
I've been told by industry insiders that despite the excellent winter in the Rocky's and Sierra's, ski sales were flat for the 04/05 season. Maybe, this is because of the horrible season in the Pacific NW and the late season in the east? Anyway, because 05/06 is an olympic year, the manufacturers are expecting big things.
post #18 of 35
But the Apache Recon is still white!! again
And the whole china thing does rub me the wrong way.
MTT
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramboh
Why are they marketing Apache line like that? I would think the typical buyer would be in the 30+ range expert skiier not wanting to ride the Vicious.

Average Age of Alpine Skiers.......................................Male 33, Female 30

Gender of Alpine Skiers.................................57.4% Male......42.6% Female

% Head of HH that are College graduates.............75% Male.......80% Female

Percentage of Head of HH that are African American...............0.1%

Percentage of Head of HH that are Hispanic..........................5.2%

Ave. price paid for skis at specialty shop..............................$271

Ave. price paid for boots at specialty shop............................$239

Ave. price paid for bindings at specialty shop.........................$111

Ave. price paid for poles at specialty shop.............................$33

Ave. price paid for ski systems at specialty shop.....................$531

Ave. # of days skiing...................................6.6 (Males 7.0) (Female 6.2)

Percentage of Alpine Skiers that also Nordic ski.......................7.0%

Percentage of Alpine Skiers that also Snowboard.....................11.4%

Ave. price paid for weekend lift ticket....................................$55.11

Percentage that use the Internet.......................................... 75%

Average # of Internet hours per week....................................12
post #20 of 35
Nice demographic profile, what is the data's source?
post #21 of 35
I think it's funny that people who ski 6-7 days a year buy their own skis and bindings.

we are a B U Y I N G cultrue, aren't we?
post #22 of 35
Thread Starter 
Hmmm, an arrogant, smartass, buying, litigious culture. The land that I love! What could be better?
post #23 of 35

Makes sense to me

From the demographic info, total price for skis/boots/bindings is about $600. If rentals are $40 per day, then three years at 7 days/year is $840. You've broken even on cost (assuming you have the skis tuned every now and again), you have avoided the trauma of standing in rental lines, you've gotten to ski the same equipment consistently, and you haven't been stigmatized by other's looking at you and knowing that you are on rental skis.

Where I ski, just avoiding the daily rental lines would make it worthwhile. The best skiing is in the morning before all of the people/groups get through the rental lines, take their first ever course, and begin to hit the black slopes.
post #24 of 35
I forget sometimes about the crowded slopes of the East and West Coasts, as well as the Great Lakes/Rust Belt ski areas.

thinking of it that way, gandalf, I can see the point.

but where I usually ski, the rental/demo lines are short AND the shops usually have demos that you can pick up during more sensible hours (i.e. after work if you're a 9-5'er).

so, where I usually ski, if I skied only 6-7 days per year, I'd buy boots and demo the rest. that avoids the problem of buying a great ski only to have a slightly greater ski come out 1/2 way through the season... as has happened several times during my skiing life.
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by froto25
Nice demographic profile, what is the data's source?
SIA Intelligence Report

I was actually impressed by the internet usage reported.
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluff Vertigo
SIA Intelligence Report

I was actually impressed by the internet usage reported.
That's what jumped out at me, too!
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzostrike
I think it's funny that people who ski 6-7 days a year buy their own skis and bindings.

we are a B U Y I N G cultrue, aren't we?
in 2-3 seasons, you've paid for them in rental fees. And then there's the no rental hastle bonus. And the my-equipment-isn't-broken bonus. etc. If you like to ski a lot, life is better with your own stuff, even if you only get out 5 times a year.
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jim Slade
in 2-3 seasons, you've paid for them in rental fees. And then there's the no rental hastle bonus. And the my-equipment-isn't-broken bonus. etc. If you like to ski a lot, life is better with your own stuff, even if you only get out 5 times a year.
if you break your equipment as a 6-days-a-year skier, you need lessons, not your own gear.

your "benefits" are totally illusory. nice try though.
post #29 of 35
http://www.ski-depot.com has updated there site and the full Fischer skis line that they will be carrying is up.
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingman
Outrunning patrol is impressive?

Meh. The patrol here in the east are a bunch of geezin' geezers that couldn't catch your typical 6 year old in a tuck.
We have a saying on our Partrol..."you can't out run Motorola" We have our share of geezers, but some ex racers as well. If you can our run them they already know who you are.

If you want to go fast, just ask the patrol where would be a good spot. I usually pull them over and send them to a run called Atkinson's Zoom.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 2006 Skis; Pics; Descriptions; Nice site