New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ski vice for Metron B5

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I'm about to venture in to the world of DIY tuning but can't find much info re the merits of different vices etc.

The Holmenkol 'SuperProPlus' & the Ski Man 'SuperPro' vices appear to come recommended (I think that they could actually be the same vice?).

I'm also concerned about the jaw profiles being able to accept the round top sheet profile on the B5's.

Any recommendations re vices, & any other tuning gear, greatly received.
post #2 of 20
For convenience, esp. if tuning different people's skis, the Swix lasso beats the boot dummy vises. Works with 3-pin too.

Have you sorted out the bench you plan to use with these?
post #3 of 20
...........lasso? Please don't ever get that. The boot dummies at least keep it in the vise without it moving around and bending your brakes in ways that you don't want them to. If the ski moves in the vise, then you may as well tune skis between two chairs, for the amount of hold that it gives you. You are much better off buying a conventional vise, such as this: http://www.reliableracing.com/winter...&category=2300

A vice like this one has an enlarged center contact point for holding a ski such as the B5, but will actually keep it from moving when you are scraping/brushing/filing/w.e.

The brand usually doesn't matter, most are just copies or near copies of swix anyway (ski man, holmenkol etc.)
post #4 of 20
I use "Jaws Of the Beast" for all my skis including B5 metrons. It works fine & is inexpensive light and portable without having to use the dummy foot. I have used that type before and switched to the beast.

You can get it at http://www.ski-racing.com/bst_jaws.html
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
All,

Thanks for the feedback. Will hopefully be shopping in the next few days.
post #6 of 20
I agree not to use a lasso or boot dummy. I had a lasson type vice and didn't like it, I sold it, I now have one like the one dd223 recommends and love it.

That Jaws of the Beast looks really cool too.
post #7 of 20

Atomic tuning tip

Greetings,

Seen all the info. posted on the devices...good stuff...one thing..sounds like your just heading into this....one thing I learned the hard way, before calling Atomic,,,(when I did, they were pretty knowledgable) is the degree angle of your 5's...be carefull not to do a 0 degree for instance, before checking with Atomic on their recomendation for that ski...

Hope this helps..

bresno
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresnahan
Greetings,

Seen all the info. posted on the devices...good stuff...one thing..sounds like your just heading into this....one thing I learned the hard way, before calling Atomic,,,(when I did, they were pretty knowledgable) is the degree angle of your 5's...be carefull not to do a 0 degree for instance, before checking with Atomic on their recomendation for that ski...

Hope this helps..

bresno
A 1 degree base bevel & 3 degree side edge is the recommended Atomic tune. For the 10,000th time!
post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
A 1 degree base bevel & 3 degree side edge is the recommended Atomic tune. For the 10,000th time!
Message received LOUD & CLEAR!
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
For the 10,000th time!
If i've told you once I've told you a thousand times. Oh that wasn't you!
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMangoJazz
If i've told you once I've told you a thousand times. Oh that wasn't you!
for the 10th time


I use Toko boot dummy for the past few years and it has worked great.
post #12 of 20
Atomic Man,

Relax - will help you with any hypertension.. ...we're all just trying to help each other out brother..even if it is your 10,000 time.

Peace Dog
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresnahan
Atomic Man,

Relax - will help you with any hypertension.. ...we're all just trying to help each other out brother..even if it is your 10,000 time.

Peace Dog
I am relaxed. You should see when I am "wrapped around the axle". But you told him what not to do, not what to do! How the hell does that help anyone!

You just could do a search for Atomic Base bevel or B5 metron & base bevel & you would have an answer brother! Peace, love & read The NY times!
post #14 of 20
The Holmenkol and the Ski Man are the same vice.

They will grip the Metrons without any issues.
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderjon
I'm also concerned about the jaw profiles being able to accept the round top sheet profile on the B5's.
I just wanted to weigh in... You will not be gripping the top sheet with a 3 part vice. You will be grabbing the plate under the binding so profile won't matter. The tip and tail supports are ruberized and will use friction to hold your ski. For side edge work, you will use the screws in the tip and tail supports to secure the ski.

Cheers...
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holimonter
I just wanted to weigh in... You will not be gripping the top sheet with a 3 part vice. You will be grabbing the plate under the binding so profile won't matter. The tip and tail supports are ruberized and will use friction to hold your ski. For side edge work, you will use the screws in the tip and tail supports to secure the ski.

Cheers...
Actually you can grip the top sheet of a metron with a 3 point vice.

If you try to tighten it around the plastic riser plate it doesn't hold it as well and you risk cracking it.
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalce
Actually you can grip the top sheet of a metron with a 3 point vice.

If you try to tighten it around the plastic riser plate it doesn't hold it as well and you risk cracking it.
REALLY? Wow, I've been grabbing the plate on all of my atomics with no issues at all. They have always felt secure in the vice(s) and I have never cracked a riser. I didn't think I was doing anything wrong. I apologize for the aparently bad advice. I will try to grab the ski itself the next time I tune. Thanks much for the post...much appreciated.

Cheers...
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holimonter
REALLY? Wow, I've been grabbing the plate on all of my atomics with no issues at all. They have always felt secure in the vice(s) and I have never cracked a riser. I didn't think I was doing anything wrong. I apologize for the aparently bad advice. I will try to grab the ski itself the next time I tune. Thanks much for the post...much appreciated.

Cheers...
I never grab the topsheet, always the plate!
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holimonter
REALLY? Wow, I've been grabbing the plate on all of my atomics with no issues at all. They have always felt secure in the vice(s) and I have never cracked a riser. I didn't think I was doing anything wrong. I apologize for the aparently bad advice. I will try to grab the ski itself the next time I tune. Thanks much for the post...much appreciated.

Cheers...
Not bad advice, just a diiferent approach.

Since A-Man also grabs the riser then I think maybe I am doing it incorrectly.

I can't do this on my 1080s because they are mounted flat so when I switch from my Atomic to my Salomons while tuning I have to really crank the center vice to extremes if gripping the riser plates which is a pain when tuning 4-6 pairs of skis. I like to pop them in and out as quickly as possible.
post #20 of 20
My favorite vise is the Swix Pro 500. It has a foot that you put into your binding, that then goes into the unit. You can file your edges without any interference, you can tip the ski on it's side, works with everything but may not work as well with LOOK turntable bindings, or skis without bindings.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs