EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Picking up skiing again
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Picking up skiing again

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Hello I'm a new user here and from looking at the various forums this seemed like the right place to ask this.

A little background info. I grew up in Oregon and skiied there for about ten years. Now I live in NYC and am starting to pick up skiing again. So for about ten years there I only went about 6 times. When I stopped in Oregon I'd say I was probably an advanced skiier and from skiing a few times this year I'd probably say that hasn't changed.

So I'm thinking about getting new skiis and I really have no idea where to start. I was skiing straight skiis back then and now...no clue.

I would much appreciate suggestions for skis/bindings/boots and sizes. I'm 6'1" 175 lbs. ski mostly on the groomed, occsionally off, and small jumps no moguls.

Thank you ahead of time and I really appreciate it!
post #2 of 26
I'm going to suggest that you start by finding a good bootfitter who will take some time working with you to get you into a good pair of boots. I'd also suggest that you take a lesson or two to get familiar with shaped skis and then rent or demo skis, at least till you're comfortable on shaped skis. My thinking is that your first few times out on shaped skis you'd be better off with a relatively forgiving lower end ski but with your background you'd soon be ready for more advanced skis.
post #3 of 26
Good Advice. As for boots, in NYC I recommend you go to Paragon on 17th street. Ask for Paul, the bootfitter. You may not want to pay retail, but you should at least get examined and shell sized by a trained fitter. Then you can decide if year end sales are worth it, or buy online, or used.

If you are difficult to fit, or otherwise require special attention, get the fit and buy from someone like Greg Hoffman at Green Mountain Orthotics on the mountain at Stratton. Stay away from Ski Barn, et.al. unless you know what you want.
post #4 of 26
roverny, welcome to EpicSki! You've gotten great advice already on this thread, and, FWIW, I concur. Get the boots first, then demo for a while. If you're not skiing more than 10 days/season, demoing may be the most cost-effective alternative, anyway! You get great, current skis that are (usually) maintained well. It will also give you a chance to see which skis you like and which you don't, as well as get some practice with the new techniques that make skiing easier and more fun than ever before.

Welcome back to skiing!

(BTW, my immediate thought about your thread title was something like, "Please put it back down! We're not done with it, yet!")
post #5 of 26
For a good boot fitter go see Keith Holmquist in Hunter, NY at the http://www.theproskiandride.com/. Keith is an awesome boot fitter. Make an apointment ahead of time.

BTW right now Keith's The PRO Skin N' Ride shop is having 50% off sale on clothing like North Face Gore Tex Mountain Guide jackets and pants. They are giving this stuff away.
post #6 of 26
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys for all the helpful insight. I think I'm set on boot advice.

I guess I'm really looking more for ski advice seeing as they've changed the most. I've skiied a couple of times on "short" skis and I did fine, I was just wondering if I could get a few brand and model suggestions so I could start somewhere.

Just for info I've heard great things about these skis, though I don't know if they're good piste skis or not:

Dynastar - Legend 8000/8800
Head - i.XRC 1100 Chip SR2/Monster i.M 75 Chip
Atomic - Metron B5/SL:9
K2 - Apache X
Salomon - Streetracer 10 Pilot/Scrambler 8
Volkl - 7 24 EXP/Supersport Superspeed

I know it's a big list, that's why I'm sooo confused!

Thanks again.
post #7 of 26
roverny, you have quite a variety there. Let me ask a few questions:

What are some skis that you've enjoyed in the past (either shaped or pencil)? What is your typical mechanism for turning? Are you interested in/willing to make changes in your technique to get the most out of new skis? Do you prefer "high feel" and/or "high energy" skis, or "smooth" and/or "damp" skis?

BTW, that's a very nice list. If you can try them, do so. I'd suggest adding the Fischer RX series and the Elan S and M series to your list...
post #8 of 26
Add these to your list:

Eastern Epicski Academy. or ESA 4 in Snowbird/Alta
post #9 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
roverny, you have quite a variety there. Let me ask a few questions:

What are some skis that you've enjoyed in the past (either shaped or pencil)? What is your typical mechanism for turning? Are you interested in/willing to make changes in your technique to get the most out of new skis? Do you prefer "high feel" and/or "high energy" skis, or "smooth" and/or "damp" skis?

BTW, that's a very nice list. If you can try them, do so. I'd suggest adding the Fischer RX series and the Elan S and M series to your list...
The only 2 pairs of ski's I've owned have been a pair of blizzard's and a pair of Elan's from the mid 90's and there's no way I could remember their model numbers. So as far as enjoyed, that's a good question, I don't know. :

I'm not sure what "high feel", etc. means, so I'll just say I like to make quick short turns while going fairly quickly. Sorry for being so vague, but I really don't know the terminology anymore...
post #10 of 26
Blizzard and Elan have always made nice skis with solid snow feel. I think I'd steer you more towards the Atomic, Fischer, Elan end of the spectrum than the Rossi ones. Which boots do you have/are you getting?
post #11 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
Blizzard and Elan have always made nice skis with solid snow feel. I think I'd steer you more towards the Atomic, Fischer, Elan end of the spectrum than the Rossi ones. Which boots do you have/are you getting?
Just out of curiousity why the atomic, fischer, elan over the others? And about boots, damn good question, any suggestions??
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverny
And about boots, damn good question, any suggestions??
Ones that fit!

Thats not as specious a statement as it may seem on the face. Get thee to a good bootfitter, as has already been suggested, and spend the most time and maybe the most money on getting boots that fit your foot properly and allow you to stand neutrally on your ski's.

You can adapt your style to a ski that is not perfect for you much easier and less painfully than you can adapt to a boot that doesn't fit at all.

Read a bit here about types of feet typical models seem to fit, and go from there. Lots of trial fits and lots of time will go into this initial; purchase because you will very likely not have all the information you need to decide right away.
post #13 of 26
Thread Starter 
thanks.
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverny
Just out of curiousity why the atomic, fischer, elan over the others? And about boots, damn good question, any suggestions??
They are more lively and have more snow feel than the others (my opinion, of course, but it's pretty typical of folks I've talked with).

Regarding boots, I posted this on snowHeads, recently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh@snowHeads
there are three things that are vital when choosing new boots: fit, fit, and fit.

Find a boot fitter that understands how to fit boots (many in resort areas do, most in non-resort areas don't). If they don't do these things, they don't know what they are doing:

  1. Ask you about your skiing, your current boots, what you seek, etc.
  2. Have you remove shoes and either wear shorts or pull up your slacks above your knees
  3. Tell you the boots that they have (or know about) that will fit your foot/lower leg
  4. Measure your feet (both of them!)
  5. Remove the liners from the boots you are to try, then place your foot inside them with the toes barely touching the fronts of the boots. They should check for 1-2 finger widths between your heel and the back of the shell. Less space for higher performance, more for a more plush fit.
  6. They should also check for an approximate equivalent shape between the inside of the shell and your foot. They may/should know this from 2, above, but checking is a good thing.
  7. Put you into the boot with the liner in.
  8. Ask you how they feel, and make some recommendations
  9. (and this is very, very rare) When you find the right boot, balance you in them by building a custom footbed, checking for knee flex tracking, checking fore/aft balance, checking canting necessary (ideally on-snow), etc.
Yes, really, that's what should be done by a real boot-fitter. Gotta put that into the equipment FAQ, eh?
post #15 of 26
For east coast skiing near NYC like Hunter, Belleayre, Plattekill, Windham, Gore, Whiteface, and Killington, I would recommend 168cm new '06 Volkl Allstars or Volkl 5 Stars. Given your ability level of intermediate I would stay away from the Volkl 6 Stars. You may also want to look at the new 170cm length '06 Volkl Unlimited AC3 with a 74 mm width under foot if you want something for out west but will be skiing mostly east coast trails. If you plan on doing A LOT of out west deep powder skiing with very little east coast skiing then take a look at the '06 Volkl Unlimited AC4 with 82mm width under foot for over the knee deep powder it still has an awesome carve radius for east coast groomers. For east coast skiing near NYC you can't beat the '06 Volkl Allstars or 5 stars. Talk to Ralph at Snowbird ski shop http://www.snowbirdskishop.com/ in Hunter, which is just down the street from Keith's.
post #16 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by catskills
For east coast skiing near NYC like Hunter, Belleayre, Plattekill, Windham, Gore, Whiteface, and Killington, I would recommend 168cm new '06 Volkl Allstars or Volkl 5 Stars. Given your ability level of intermediate I would stay away from the Volkl 6 Stars. You may also want to look at the new 170cm length '06 Volkl Unlimited AC3 with a 74 mm width under foot if you want something for out west but will be skiing mostly east coast trails. If you plan on doing A LOT of out west deep powder skiing with very little east coast skiing then take a look at the '06 Volkl Unlimited AC4 with 82mm width under foot for over the knee deep powder it still has an awesome carve radius for east coast groomers. For east coast skiing near NYC you can't beat the '06 Volkl Allstars or 5 stars. Talk to Ralph at Snowbird ski shop http://www.snowbirdskishop.com/ in Hunter, which is just down the street from Keith's.
Thanks for the info guys. Going to Windham tomorrow and reserved a pair of the Atomic B5's and will hopefully switch it up later for an RX8. I'm pretty sure he said the B5's come in a 166 or 168 and the RX8's in a 170, you think that's tall enough for me? Remember I'm 6'1" 175. Thanks again guys!
post #17 of 26
Roverny,

I ski Fischer RX8s at 165 and I'm about 5'10" and 190 pounds (on a good day). The 170s will definitely be enough ski for you, and you could easily ski the 165s (depends on if you want a slightly sharper turning ski). I actually just got back from doing some demoing in Windham yesterday with a fresh 12 inches of spring paste. The demo center there is decent, but a little bit limited. You may want to try out the Fischer RX9s, Atomic Metron M11s, and also Salomon Scream Pilot Hots while you're there to just get a broader spectrum of some other things out there (all 3 are very different skis).

-Craig
post #18 of 26
Thread Starter 
thanks Craig, good info!
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverny
Thanks for the info guys. Going to Windham tomorrow and reserved a pair of the Atomic B5's and will hopefully switch it up later for an RX8. I'm pretty sure he said the B5's come in a 166 or 168 and the RX8's in a 170, you think that's tall enough for me? Remember I'm 6'1" 175. Thanks again guys!
The b5s only come in 152, 162, and 172. Get on the 162. Get on the RX8s in a 170 and a 165, if you can.

I own both skis, so clearly I like them a lot. ENJOY!
post #20 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
The b5s only come in 152, 162, and 172. Get on the 162. Get on the RX8s in a 170 and a 165, if you can.

I own both skis, so clearly I like them a lot. ENJOY!
That short eh? I'll give it a try, thanks!
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverny
That short eh? I'll give it a try, thanks!
Oh, yeah, that short. The 172 is a monster! OK, it's not that bad, but it's a lot of ski. And the 162 is a real kick (I'll be on mine tomorrow at Copper).
post #22 of 26
That sounds like my story. I just bought some Lange L10 boots ($159 at liquidationsports.com) They are very comfortable. I also bought a new pair of Atomic M9's with Neox 412 bindings (New for $580). The new skis are pretty trippy. They turn good but are kinda different when at speed goin straight. Do check out the Lange boot though.....Good luck
post #23 of 26
Thread Starter 
So after a beautiful day of skiing, 40 degrees not a cloud in the sky, I'm back. Tried the B5 in a 165 or 166, least that's what they said. I also tried the RX8 in a 170 and an atomic metron 2 in a 162?

Anyway started with the B5, went to the rx8 and finshed with the metron 2, or what ever it was.

My opinion? Everything paled in the face of the B5! Loved it, I never felt out of control, the thing stuck to the mountain like glue, including some lovely NE icey spots.

The RX8 was nice, but just kind of felt flimsy and didn't hold on the ice as well as the B5. It would have been nice to try it in a smaller size but I have a feeling it still wouldn't have felt as strong as the Atomic.

Thanks again all for the suggestions, unless anyone else has a suggestion, I'm going to go Atomic shopping.
post #24 of 26
Thread Starter 
Damn I just noticed that I tried the Supercross B5 not the Metron B5! Oy! Guess I'll have to wait until next season to figure this out! Damn Damn Damn!!! Gotta pay more attention next time. Though my comments still stand...
post #25 of 26
What color was the b5 you tested? It's a great ski, regardless, but the M:b5 is more ski than the SX:b5.
post #26 of 26
Thread Starter 
The color was white, orange, black, and green. When you mean more ski, what exactly does that mean?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Picking up skiing again