EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Atomic C7 - Good Adv Beg/Intermediate Ski?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Atomic C7 - Good Adv Beg/Intermediate Ski?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
My thanks to members of this forum for your suggestions on new skis for myself. It has been difficult for me to buy without trying, so I appreciate your help.

I am 5'6", 152-160lbs (usually somewhere in the middle!) and consider myself to be an aspiring intermediate skier (level 3-5 - greens and easy to moderate blues). Most of my skiing will be in New England (i.e. Mt. Snow, Okemo, Stratton, and in Connecticut when I'm too lazy to travel), mostly groomed trails, ice, and some powder. I'm still working on control at moderate speeds, and I don't want a ski that is too stiff. I still make some wide turns on steeper pitches, but I try to keep the turns shorter when I can maintain control.

The skis most often recommended to me is the Atomic C7 or the Fischer RX4. I'm leaning toward the Atomics, as it seems to be easier to find, and more widely supported. So, some final questions:

1) Does the C7 sound like a good choice, and a ski that will give me some room to grow? Would a C5 be a better choice?

2) At my height and weight, am I better off with the 148 or the 158 (most of my rentals so far have been softer skis at 150-154)? Stability is an issue as I venture on to more challenging trails.

3) Any particular recommendations on bindings?

Thanks.
post #2 of 16
I bought C7's last year as my first pair of skis (I'm 5'10 and 165-170ish) when I took up skiing last year (I'm 50) along with my son. I LOVE THEM. We ski Sunapee, Loon and Wachusett and they are perfect for them. They have allowed me to progress rapidly to the point where I can enjoy any blue and many black trails. I consider myself a solid Intermediate now and IMHO I think the skis helped get me there.

They seem to like most of the NE conditions and if it werent for the fact that I am replacing them with 160 C9s which I think will be the right upgrade for me I'd still use them. (Actually I'm interested in selling the C7's if 148's are what you want)

As for bindings, they usually come with the Atmic Device Bindings which seem fine to me. They don't do funky things and are easy to get in and out of and can handle some snow on your boots.

Hope this was helpful.



Quote:
Originally Posted by pvski
My thanks to members of this forum for your suggestions on new skis for myself. It has been difficult for me to buy without trying, so I appreciate your help.

I am 5'6", 152-160lbs (usually somewhere in the middle!) and consider myself to be an aspiring intermediate skier (level 3-5 - greens and easy to moderate blues). Most of my skiing will be in New England (i.e. Mt. Snow, Okemo, Stratton, and in Connecticut when I'm too lazy to travel), mostly groomed trails, ice, and some powder. I'm still working on control at moderate speeds, and I don't want a ski that is too stiff. I still make some wide turns on steeper pitches, but I try to keep the turns shorter when I can maintain control.

The skis most often recommended to me is the Atomic C7 or the Fischer RX4. I'm leaning toward the Atomics, as it seems to be easier to find, and more widely supported. So, some final questions:

1) Does the C7 sound like a good choice, and a ski that will give me some room to grow?

2) At my height and weight, am I better off with the 148 or the 158 (most of my rentals so far have been softer skis at 150-154)? Stability is an issue as I venture on to more challenging trails.

3) Any particular recommendations on bindings?

Thanks.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Also, do you think that C7's will hold well on ice? (Dimensions are 108/72/98 Radius 15. Fischer RX4's are 111/67/96)
post #4 of 16
They have for me. Not that I would go out of my way to ski on it lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvski
Also, do you think that C7's will hold well on ice? (Dimensions are 108/72/98 Radius 15. Fischer RX4's are 111/67/96)
post #5 of 16
I wouldn't go below the C7. Since you already have time on skis, you might want to consider the C9. This is a great ski for NE conditions. However, the ski is not well suited to powder, since it is pretty narrow underfoot. It will work but it doesn't float much. The C9 will pretty much take you where ever you want to go. It has been a top pick for many years. I would suggest the 160.

Depending on which ski you choose, you may not have much choice in bindings. The C9 comes with an integrated binding, the Device. You would want the 310 or 412.
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
skidad55,

I'm just a few years younger than you, and took up skiing with my daughter. I'm glad to hear of your good experience with the C7's.

All of the rentals I've tried have been 150-154's, and they've been comfortable. The C7's come in 148 and 158, and I'm not sure which way to go on size. You are a bit taller and about 10-15 lbs heavier - did you feel that the 148's were too short?

Just curious - what are you thinking about for your next pair?
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Atomic 918,

A few people have strongly suggested the C-9's. However, they mentioned that because it is a stiffer and narrower ski, it might be more difficult for me this level on bumpier trails, and some of the "sloppier" conditions found in Connecticut, and during warmer weather skiing in NE.

Is this something that I should be concerned about, or am I making a mistake by going with the C-7's? Also, it sounds like you are recommending the 158's over the 148's.
post #8 of 16
I like the 148's. I don't feel the least bit unsteady even down some of Sunapee's steeper trails. I figured skated as a teen so balance is something I have a lot of.

As you say, you're somewhat smaller than me and I would think the 148's wouldnt be problematic (I'm moving up to 160's which are really closer to my "right" size). These are ski's that love to turn and don't require a lot of effort to make them turn. As I said it's made skiing fun and progess towards a solid level 6 easier.

As for my next ski's -- I'm going with C-9's in 160. I did try metron 9's in 157 and liked them as well, but the C-9 seems better suited for my skiing style. Zack is moving up from 148 E-5's to SX-10s because a boy needs speed. His dad just needs a VHF radio to keep track of him on the slopes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvski
skidad55,

I'm just a few years younger than you, and took up skiing with my daughter. I'm glad to hear of your good experience with the C7's.

All of the rentals I've tried have been 150-154's, and they've been comfortable. The C7's come in 148 and 158, and I'm not sure which way to go on size. You are a bit taller and about 10-15 lbs heavier - did you feel that the 148's were too short?

Just curious - what are you thinking about for your next pair?
post #9 of 16
Stiff is not a word I would use to describe the C7's. They are extremely forgiving and wont punish you if you skid your turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvski
Atomic 918,

A few people have strongly suggested the C-9's. However, they mentioned that because it is a stiffer and narrower ski, it might be more difficult for me this level on bumpier trails, and some of the "sloppier" conditions found in Connecticut, and during warmer weather skiing in NE.

Is this something that I should be concerned about, or am I making a mistake by going with the C-7's? Also, it sounds like you are recommending the 158's over the 148's.
post #10 of 16
The problem with buying an entry-level ski like the C7 is that you will outgrow them very very fast if you ski more than 2-3 times a year.

The C9 would be a better choice. Also the K2 Omni 5.5 would be a good alternative.
post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
GrizzlyMike,

I plan on skiing at least 4-8 times a year, if the weather cooperates. As for the C9's, do you think that they will be too much for me to handle right now? I'm still having some problem with control on steeper, narrower blues, unless I turn real hard to slow my speed. I'm also concerned about stability on "junk" on the slopes at moderate speeds (slush, ice, and bumpy powdery mess late in the day, etc). A guy at a local ski shop told me that the narrower width and stiffer nature of the C9 might make it more difficult handle, but said that I could probably handle it (of course, he was out of C7's when he made the suggestion!)

I've rented K2 Omni 3.5 in 153cm a few weeks ago, and they weren't bad. What's different about the 5.5's? K2 calls it an advanced ski. What's your thoughts?
post #12 of 16
I just have seen so many folks who buy the entry level skis and end up junking them after not even half a season because they outgrow them. You can always just rent the beginner skis at any resort and once you are at the level where your confidence is high then start shopping around.

If you are set on buying a pair now and getting the good end of season deals I would look at something that would take you through at least a season or two. Or you can just buy them and continue renting the entry level ski etc...

I don't think its a matter of being able to handle the C9 as it is being able to utilize them and not waste money. The C9 has a pretty large sidecut and is really a carver. If you are not at the stage where you can carve at least some of the time you really are not going to get the most of it and it will be a little harder to handle than the C7 in terms of skidding turns and being forgiving.

This is only my opinion but a ski in the category of the Omni 5.5 might be a better choice. I would consider a ski like this that doesn't have as much of a sidecut that you can grow with for a year or two and is a little more forgiving in terms of the things you will need to work on to progress.

Omni lists the 5.5 as an advanced ski but in fact it really is an intermediate level ski in that it is not too stiff but gives you a little taste of speed and has a good edge for learning to carve. You might also look at the Head C140.
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
I really appreciate your advice. The problem with purchasing lower-level skis is that it is almost impossible to find demos to try them out. The best we can do is ask questions, listen to advice, and then pick something.

I looked at the Head C120/140's, but couldn't find many people who were familiar with them, so I took them off the short list. The last time I looked at the K2's, it was early in the season, before I became more comfortable on the slopes. I was therefore pointed in the direction of the 3.5's, and not the 5.5's.

I'm carving a bit at slight angles at slow to moderate speeds, for short periods of time, but I still have a long way to go. Although I'm trying to avoid skidding turns, I still do it at least 35-50% of the time when moving at quicker speeds. Do you think that the C9's may be harder to handle while I'm still working on technique?

Sounds like you prefer the K2 and Head over the Atomic C7's and C9's for someone at my level. Any preference between the Omni 5.5 or the Head C140?
post #14 of 16
I have never skied the C140 but have heard it is a very good ski at the intermediate level. Reviews I have read praise it for its versatility at this level.

You might try to get in a lesson or 2 before the season ends and ask the instructor what he reccomends based on your skill level.

I mention the 5.5 because I had a pair years ago when it was the 5500. It was very forgiving but not so damp that it won't take you to the next level. Its definately a ski you can progress with and keep for a few years.
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Here's another thought - I could purchase the C7's or something a little more advanced, use them until I outgrow them, and then pass them along to my wife, who is more of a beginner, and currently renting. She's 5'4", 130-140 - will the 158's be too long for her?
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvski
Atomic 918,

A few people have strongly suggested the C-9's. However, they mentioned that because it is a stiffer and narrower ski, it might be more difficult for me this level on bumpier trails, and some of the "sloppier" conditions found in Connecticut, and during warmer weather skiing in NE.

Is this something that I should be concerned about, or am I making a mistake by going with the C-7's? Also, it sounds like you are recommending the 158's over the 148's.
I honestly would not have a problem putting a beginner on this ski. First of all it has been a very reasonably priced ski since day 1. Second it will take you pretty much up to advanced level without having to buy better skis. Last but not least you'll like it so much that you'll keep it and get a second set of skis to complement it.

Especially in the NE, where we have mostly groomed, "hard pack" and icy conditions. I don't think you can go wrong.

Notice my log in name. I'm not at all biased.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Atomic C7 - Good Adv Beg/Intermediate Ski?