Originally Posted by Captain_Strato
I've always had a sense that going skiing meant "getting away from it all". At Intrawest, there's more "all" than where I live. It's a bustling, high-priced city.
I'm not opposed to resort development. It's needed. I just feel that Intrawest exceeds the balance point.
You're right about the "all", but there are two kinds of "get away" that people seem to be looking for. When you spend your life rushing from meeting to meeting, making decision after decision, it is kind of nice to just park your butt somewhere where you know whatever you need is available without a lot of planning first. It's more expensive and more crowded to do that way, but some times it's just "easier"- which is why a lot of families go this route.
Some of it is "needed" to open terrain, but some of it is just capitalizing on opportunity. We're lucky in NA to have so much open territory. As the pop grows\changes, that is changing. Here's an interesting "fact" that has my attention:
One demographic that is widely being examined is the huge transfer of wealth in the US through inheritance. No one (including the Government) really has a solid handle on the situation, but estimates are that about $200bil each year currently passes from earlier generations to the next. Estimates are that somewhere around $14 trillion (trillion!!) will transfer by the middle of the century.
Some of this will transfer as property and some will transfer as investments, savings, businesses, etc.. Our forefathers were an exceedingly industrious, hard-working, and dedicated group of people who built the country. About 92% of the population gets zippo from inheritance. The other 8% are splitting the $200bil. Only about 2% inherit more than $100,000. Even still, that means 5-6 million people (gross estimate) are receiving a significant amount of inheritance.
In part, the vacation real-estate market is being developed in anticipation that families will invest some of their inheritance/wealth in property for current and future generations. It may not work out that way, but a lot of businesses, families, and investors are betting on it.
Warm climates are getting squeezed more than anywhere, but "mountain towns" are just outside the bullseye. In one sense it's a good thing because it results in a re-distribution of wealth when the money is spent rather than hoarded... that is, providing the money goes to the heir of a poor homesteader and not to Joe Houssian.