EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Lake Louise & Sunshine - which runs??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lake Louise & Sunshine - which runs??

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
I'm interested in hearing from some people who go to Sunshine Village and Lake Louise (alberta) in which runs I should try for some progression. I think I'm pretty good myself, black runs are not really challenging for me, and I'm not "afraid" of harder runs, though I'll never try a double black at Sunshine or Lake Louise in the next 2 years or so. I'm only 17 right now but been skiing since i was like 5 or 6.

What I want to know is which runs at these 2 resorts I should try for something harder. Like right now, I can go on stuff like Sunset Gully at top of louise (one that goes down directly instead of long way around), Men's Downhill (i can go down on this on a good straight curving on a regular day if it's not extremely icy), or at sunshine, ecstasy down from angel, afterburner/gladerunner at goat's eye mountain. All of these are not really challenging to me. On afterburner with the moguls, I think that's probably the most challenging run I've gone on (or so I consider it), but again, I don't have problems going down it, and I'm not "afraid" of it. What's a harder run I could try to increase some of my skills? The problem is I don't want to directly try double diamond runs and then break a part or something (though I've never had one injury in the 12-13 years ive been skiing).
post #2 of 27
Well at the Lake Whitehorn 1 comes to mind or ER 7 or Grizzly bowl off of Olympic top but my first guess is you could spend more time on the runs you think you've 'conquered'. You're better learning to ski terrain well and then moving on as opposed to 'Making it down' and then look for more challenges.

Sunshine you could try the shoulders and the gulleys to skiers left of Goats eye top (can't think of the name). Dam sake.
post #3 of 27
here's a video of one of the trails from the top of the gondola to the bottom at louise:

http://www.skilouise.com/media/index.asp

it's flash, and i just discovered it today

as for sunshine, i saw three people being taken down in a sled by the patrol on saturday, all on goat's eye. one on 'cleavage' and two on 'afterburner'. some double blacks such as 'freefall' are closed.
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by L7
Sunshine you could try the shoulders and the gulleys to skiers left of Goats eye top (can't think of the name). Dam sake.
Farside, Wildside and a few others with western names. I think one is called Stampede or something. I never remember those new names either since they moved them in bounds.

Sounds like you are basically only skiing groomed blacks. If you want to step it up a little try some off-piste blacks like Whitehorn I of East Bowl at the Lake. Pretty much any run at Sunshine would work since they are all pretty easy anyways.
post #5 of 27
Cleavage! That's it f2f got it. I knew it had something to do with boobs.
post #6 of 27
Thread Starter 
I've been on afterburner about 6 times now and I don't find it that hard. It looks kind of hard if you look directly down, but I don't have problems with it.
post #7 of 27
sounds like you're having fun

edit: if you're bored with afterburner and cleavage holds no secrets for you try 'schoolmaim' and the 'tee pee main chutes'. you can get to them if you turn right at the 'big angel' blacks under the angel chair.

did you try louise? from L7 tells the backside of the mountain should still be great. it has more interesting terrain (i think) than sunshine. less calgary crowd too
post #8 of 27
Thread Starter 
Also, thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I think L7 gave me some good advice
Quote:
but my first guess is you could spend more time on the runs you think you've 'conquered'. You're better learning to ski terrain well and then moving on as opposed to 'Making it down' and then look for more challenges.
I'll try that Whitehorn 1 and that Cleavage one. I think that for now, I'll stick to trying more black runs on goat's eye like gladerunner, afterburner and the ones near the top, and at louise, just doing the sunset gully and men's down more.

I'll just stick to my regular runs and try those 2 or 3 that you guys recommended. I'll get around to trying the harder runs like freefall at goat's eye sometime later, in around 2 years maybe, since my ski's aren't anything special either. They're just some rossignol's i got on sale new back in fall 2003.
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSVT
I'll just stick to my regular runs and try those 2 or 3 that you guys recommended. I'll get around to trying the harder runs like freefall at goat's eye sometime later, in around 2 years maybe, since my ski's aren't anything special either. They're just some rossignol's i got on sale new back in fall 2003.
i think it is vital to experiment. i read L7 to mean 'don't push yourself too far until you gain confidence', but that doesn't mean you should stall at the same run until you've "perfected it"...

sometimes it pays more to ski a mogul run slowly/badly than it does perfecting your technique on groomers without even trying bumps (not implying that you're sticking to groomers here, of course).
post #10 of 27
Thread Starter 
Hey, I've got another question or two. You guys seem to know a lot more about me about the alberta rockies so thought I'd ask ya. I've never been to Kicking Horse in golden, is there good skiing there? I've heard they usually have a lot of powder there and long and some good challenging runs.

Also, I haven't been to Fernie either but I've heard it's good. Wanted to know some opinions on these two. For the past almost 4 years I've been here in calgary, I've been to nakiska, louise, sunshine, kimberley, panorama and Jasper. The one that surprised me the most was kimberley. They have night skiing there and a nice alternate run, also nice terrain park. Other than that, i like lake louise the most since it had wood runs (my favorite). Probably not gonna go to Jasper again, way too cold .
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSVT
Hey, I've got another question or two. You guys seem to know a lot more about me about the alberta rockies so thought I'd ask ya. I've never been to Kicking Horse in golden, is there good skiing there? I've heard they usually have a lot of powder there and long and some good challenging runs.

.
Look for posts by Spindrift on Kicking Horse he shared an opinion or two on it and seemed in a mood to be somewhat candid.
post #12 of 27
Thread Starter 
Thanks again for your comments L7 (and f2f). I'll actually be heading to Sunshine this thursday and friday, since I have school off and gonna go there with my friends. I'm gonna find out about these runs you guys mentioned and I'll probably end up trying them out.

OT: Just wanted to say this,but does it rule to live in Calgary or what.
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSVT
OT: Just wanted to say this,but does it rule to live in Calgary or what.
Have you thought about seeking proffesional help for the state of dillusion you seem to be suffering from? Or are you just hoping that saying it enough will make it true?
post #14 of 27
Thread Starter 
Huh, what are you talking about. Are you trying to be sarcastic or something. I don't get the joke. :
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSVT
Huh, what are you talking about. Are you trying to be sarcastic or something. I don't get the joke. :
Hey I feel for you. Calgary has been known to kill brain cells. Don't worry though, it can be cured by moving about an hour and a half west.
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLOCOMan
Hey I feel for you. Calgary has been known to kill brain cells. Don't worry though, it can be cured by moving about an hour and a half west.
yea moving to 'little Oz' won't kill any brain cells.
post #17 of 27
Thread Starter 
Let me ask you one question. Do you get 10mbit shaw cable like I do right now in Banff? Nooo...

BTW, do you know where the hotel Douglas Fir is. I was there just 2 days ago. Got some nice cabins.
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSVT
Let me ask you one question. Do you get 10mbit shaw cable like I do right now in Banff? Nooo...
Clearly you know how to live right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSVT
BTW, do you know where the hotel Douglas Fir is. I was there just 2 days ago. Got some nice cabins.
In fact yes I do, did you stay there because it has a water slide? Did you?
post #19 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
In fact yes I do, did you stay there because it has a water slide? Did you?
Not really, no..

I didn't even know they had a water slide, it was just some place that my parents picked. Nice place though. Felt like a mountain cabin.

I imagine you guys have a lot since you stay over there. Every place has their special advantages . Who knows, maybe I'll meet with one of you guys some day. Small world, you never know.

Hey, one last question for you guys (I promise it's the last!). Is skiing at Norquay any good? I've never really heard much about it, but I'm willing to try new things and it's closer than sunshine after all.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLOCOMan
Hey I feel for you. Calgary has been known to kill brain cells. Don't worry though, it can be cured by moving about an hour and a half west.
I know that there's a smiley but won't the fact that people in Calgary are so close the the greatest place on earth, Banff, make them the second smartest people in Canada?
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSVT

Hey, one last question for you guys (I promise it's the last!). Is skiing at Norquay any good? I've never really heard much about it, but I'm willing to try new things and it's closer than sunshine after all.
Norquay has some very good steep blue groomers (double blues on their trail map) and you would probably enjoy doing a couple of hours there when the snow is good. When I was there a few weeks ago it was already getting pretty spring-like, so I suspect it is probably well past its prime right now. One nice thing about the hill is you can buy an hourly ticket, so you can get there at nine, ski their excellent grooming for two hours, and then depart as conditions begin to deteriorate.

They also have some very well regarded black/double black terrain off the double chair. I can't comment on conditions because the warning sign scared me off when I went there last. I'm going to wait until I can comfortably ski cleavage and the teepee chutes before trying the North American at Norquay (probably next year).

Give Kicking Horse a try when they get more snow (probably next year unfortunately), Fernie is also a great hill but their season is over (curse you pineapple express : )
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by L7
Clearly you know how to live right.



In fact yes I do, did you stay there because it has a water slide? Did you?
Isn't that one of the pools you clean ? Well isn't it?
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougw
I know that there's a smiley but won't the fact that people in Calgary are so close the the greatest place on earth, Banff, make them the second smartest people in Canada?
I'll give you third since Canmore's even closer. There's still races where third is a LONG way behind the winner; isn't there?
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLOCOMan
I'll give you third since Canmore's even closer. There's still races where third is a LONG way behind the winner; isn't there?
Sorry Doug but your going to have to settle for fourth , you also forgot about Cochrane.
post #25 of 27
Thread Starter 
How about you're all one number lower since after all you can live in Lake Louise itself, and the distance from Lake Louise to Sunshine and to Golden is smaller than the distance from Banff to Louise and Banff to Golden.
post #26 of 27
Thread Starter 
I was just in Nakiska today. The snow was unbelievably AWESOME. I ski'd on Eagle Tail and the black under Gold chairlift. They were both ungroomed and the one under Gold (little hunter I think) had moguls/lots of power. It was really awesome.

Thanks again to the people here for advice on trying some ungroomed. I went on eagle tail about 3 times and it was pretty sweet going on it. Kind of challenging which I long for and lots lots lots of fun.
post #27 of 27
Thread Starter 

Wow it's been nearly 4 years since I made this thread.

 

I just recently started doing some of the really harder runs in the nearby resorts. I did four of the double-blacks at Lake Louise this season. I didn't think they were all that challenging really, but the most important thing is that I really enjoyed them since they had some amount of powder snow on them and I liked going through it on some steeper parts.

 

I also went to Revelstoke recently where I was taken on what I would have considered very hard runs.  It was during this time I realized I can ski some of the harder runs and also in trees if I really want to.

 

I'm just now really getting a sense of what I can accomplish on the mountain.  Next year, I will be able to get a discount on a season pass through my work, that'll be great.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Lake Louise & Sunshine - which runs??