New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

More Snow In The East

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
With almost a foot of snow at Sugarloaf on Tuesday, March 1st -another two feet on Tuesday, March 8th and with forecasters calling for another 12 - 18" Friday night through Saturday-eastern skiing is as good as it gets. The only downside is that spring skiing appears to be a long way off with winter-like snow and cold conditions. All this means is that winter is still here and spring skiing conditions will be super with a long end to the season.

The Loaf has been my place to be, but I am wondering about other eastern ski resorts. Any reports on conditions?
post #2 of 24
A friend called to say NH was expecting 6-12" on Friday into Saturday. We're heading to Sunapee on Sunday expecting to be happy. It seems like 2-3 feet has fallen in that area in the past week or so with this storm.
post #3 of 24
Got a call last night from friends in Bartlet NH.....16 to 24" expected in the area. I wasn't planning on going up this weekend, but....you don't get dumps in NE like this every winter...so we are headed up.
post #4 of 24
Heading up to Loon on Sunday to ski Mon-Thurs at Loon and Cannon. Couldn't have timed this any better!
post #5 of 24
I'll be at Cannon tomorrow. I'll let you know! Cannon was solid last weekend.
post #6 of 24
wow, this looks like a good one!

but the question is, will I be able to get to Loon or Waterville tomorrow morning? my son's bday is Sunday, so we can't go then. so Saturday it is, if the roads are reasonably clear.

anyone have any guesses at how bad the roads will be between Boston and NH tomorrow morning? sounds like they could be a mess:

http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/iwszone?Sites=:nhz003
post #7 of 24

don't go there ;-)

Mt. Snowless is crappy, icey and boiler plate everywhere there isn't an ice flow. Just like any other year.

Too many skiers, not enough snow, blah blah blah woe is me, boo hoo.

The dump that's comming tonight won't help at all.

I think I'll just ski in the trees!

CalG
post #8 of 24
Bretton Woods has had just stupid amounts of snow inthe last month. And over 2 feet since Monday. Now 6" tonight and 12" tomorrow. Life is just rough. And since my kids are in independent schools, their Spring break starts next Friday -- long range forecast until then? Snow showers virtually evey day. I can't stop giggling as I write this..... Like some large maniac cat who got into the catnip.
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidiver

anyone have any guesses at how bad the roads will be between Boston and NH tomorrow morning? sounds like they could be a mess:
NH does a pretty good job on the roads, but I would bet above Concord it will be down to a single lane with RR tracks in the RH lane. Early morning travel might be pretty slow. Probubly will need 4wd or FWD to be safe and make time. Just my experiences of going north during storms.
post #10 of 24
Skied the Bush yesterday (South). Organ Grinder was soft bumps with some slicker spots here and there, Spills still skiing great. Groomed stuff is in good condition and there's a HUGE ring around the sun up here right now. The local weather jockey is calling for good amounts, less wind than last week's storm brought.
post #11 of 24

First flakes

Why is my pulse rate up, and concentration slipping off to higher ground.

Could it be those first flakes drifting down? Silent enticement?

CalG
post #12 of 24
Bobcat tomorrow for me.
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostan
With almost a foot of snow at Sugarloaf on Tuesday, March 1st -another two feet on Tuesday, March 8th and with forecasters calling for another 12 - 18" Friday night through Saturday-eastern skiing is as good as it gets. The only downside is that spring skiing appears to be a long way off with winter-like snow and cold conditions. All this means is that winter is still here and spring skiing conditions will be super with a long end to the season.

The Loaf has been my place to be, but I am wondering about other eastern ski resorts. Any reports on conditions?
Sugarloaf is the best man - no need to go anywhere else; my loser friends dont want to make the drive - so we are headed to Sunday River (blah!)

But I think Attitash and SR would be your next best two bets for snow quality - a girl I know skied Attitash two weeeks ago and said it was fanatastic, probably even better now.
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinaustin
Sugarloaf is the best man - no need to go anywhere else; my loser friends dont want to make the drive - so we are headed to Sunday River (blah!)

But I think Attitash and SR would be your next best two bets for snow quality - a girl I know skied Attitash two weeeks ago and said it was fanatastic, probably even better now.
Yeah, sugarloafs got SR on terrain, but you will be lucky to get a run down the tubing park up there this weekend with this wind. That place sux for weather. I doubt anything will turn up there tommorow.
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineZone
Heading up to Loon on Sunday to ski Mon-Thurs at Loon and Cannon. Couldn't have timed this any better!
I will be up at Loon on Tuesday for a private demo day.

Maybe I'll see you there.
post #16 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalce
I will be up at Loon on Tuesday for a private demo day.

Maybe I'll see you there.
Scalce,

I had to cancel out on demo day due to Tuesday night work/meeting commitment. Conditions at Loon should be fabulous. Hopefully, there will be some wider planks for you to try out. And, the Head skis will have Mike's fine tunes. Let us know what you think of the new Monster IM77.

Luck to you,
Stan
post #17 of 24
Don't those have liquid metal in them? I heard if you crack the core open the guy from Terminator 2 comes out...
post #18 of 24
Thread Starter 
Supposedly the liquid metal turns what is a very good ice-holding, but heavy-responding ski into a more fun-loving do anything ski, with great edge hold. I know a few skiers who did not like the repsonse of the IM75 w/o liquid metal, but enjoyed the IM77 with the addition of liquid metal.

If the terminator does not come out from their innards, then a Cylon will arise to attempt to erradicate Battlestar Gallactica!
post #19 of 24
Snowing since 1:30 this afternoon in the MR Valley...inch + or so already on the ground.
post #20 of 24
The most recent technical weather discussion from whdh in boston...

5:30pm:
Unbelievable. The snow magnet has been turned on again. The 18z GFS finally solidifies the idea that the NAM and GFS and Canadian and ECMF have been just hinting at all along, that north of the surface trough (redevelopment line between primary and secondary) a belt of heavy snow gets stuck, or should I say "heavy precipitation" , as warm advection is re-born for a time Saturday. After piddling with mixed precipitation overnight, it will take a good flip to the north and high vertical velocity to overcome sky brightness on Saturday midday, but we may just do it. With a possible .5 to 1" of precipitation, it isn't out of the question that we will add 6" or more of snow, especially just inland Saturday, to today's 1-3" (mostly SE it fell today)

Spring? Nowhere, not yet. NEXT Friday is the next coastal storm, good WA yet again, but it could go over to rain at the end.
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostan
Supposedly the liquid metal turns what is a very good ice-holding, but heavy-responding ski into a more fun-loving do anything ski, with great edge hold. I know a few skiers who did not like the repsonse of the IM75 w/o liquid metal, but enjoyed the IM77 with the addition of liquid metal.
I really enjoyed the XRC 1200 as it was rock solid at speed but could whip out any turn shape at any speed. I didn't try any of the M series but I will on Tuesday.
post #22 of 24
thanks, spork. I think we may give it a shot, even without 4wd.

anyone else have any road info or predictions for tomorrow?
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalce
I will be up at Loon on Tuesday for a private demo day.

Maybe I'll see you there.
Cool. Feel free to see hello. This is me. I have an AlpineZone.com decal on my helmet...
post #24 of 24
I'm going to Sunday River on . . Sunday. Ski School office told me they're expecting 2 feet of snow tonight and tomorrow.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel