New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2006 Metron B:5's? - Page 2

post #31 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Strato
I found it an effort to lift B:5's out of my car-top carrier. However, once they were on the hill, weight was a total non-issue. It was impossible to notice.
The weight isn't a problem, it's the design, and it works magnificently.
Point taken, Captain. But, not to dwell too much on my previous comments, hauling the ski's is often a problem where I ski - the Alps and Dolomites. I just don't want to 'shoulder' these skis around the Sella Rondo, for instance. This may be why Metrons don't seem to have taken off here ,over the pond. iIn resorts in the US/Canada, where you only have to carry from the car to the lift, then obviously the problem is less important.
post #32 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_501
I've been calling around and so far I have been unable to get confirmation that the 06 Neox's will be lighter. Has an Atomic rep confirmed this?
I was told by a senior Atomic rep last week that the weight was taken out of the bindings and plate.
post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_501
Its roughly 7% less weight. I'm not saying you won't feel that cause I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem like much of a difference to me. If they were shavng a pound or 2 per ski, that would be significant. But one pound overall? Just doesn't seem like enough to matter.
I had heard 1 lb. per ski. Seems like I may have misunderstood! I'll see if I can find any additional information.
post #34 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by headmaster
I demo'd the B5 last march(o5 model) and the06 model last month. loved the 05 last yr after 1 run...couldn't tell any real difference with 06 model except thatI seemed to like it even more this year. I'm 5'7 185 aggressive skier... skied both models in 162.... my buddy is 6' 235 VERY aggressive skier... skied the 06 in 162 and loved 'em...weight didn't seem to be an issue..very responsive and quick turning once on the snow... strangely, not too popular with any of the ski shops in nh... I think they are scarce simply because not enough were ordered by the shops
The B5s were sold out early, almost everywhere. Our shop sold out before Xmas.

As for the issue of shops being squeamish....they are all worried that ATomic has gone down a dead end. The R series was very popular and they scrapped it for the geometry of the Metron series. Shop owners still remember that Elan started the shaped ski revolution but the SCX was a commercial disaster. The B5 is an experts ski and the vast majority of ski buyers are intermediate to advanced so the issue is not if the ski is good but its' commercial viability.

All the fear might be unfounded, I am not advocating that shops are right but that is the thinking I have heard in the last 2 weeks. Some of their competitors, like Nordica, have less radical skis that ski lights out. Regardless of geometry, my favorite ski was the Nordica Hot Rod Top Fuel in a 178. I would buy it before the B5 anyday for an all mountain ski.
post #35 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
I had heard 1 lb. per ski. Seems like I may have misunderstood! I'll see if I can find any additional information.
I was told it was 1lb per pair.....
post #36 of 54
Here's the only quote I could find (from Ski Press World): "By incorporating aluminum and titanium elements, the company dropped NEOX’s overall weight by well over a pound."
post #37 of 54

B:5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_501
So, if you get the 06 you need to get the new lighter Neox binding to get the weight reduction? Does anyone know if you can mix and match, 2005 B5 with new lighter Neox or 2006 B5 with 2005 heavier Neox?
'05 and '06 binding are the same hole pattern. Same binding, just 1.1 pounds lighter.
post #38 of 54
What base and side bevels are you guys running on your B5's? I was told the factory tune is 1 degree base and 2 degree side.
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_501
What base and side bevels are you guys running on your B5's? I was told the factory tune is 1 degree base and 2 degree side.

Should be a 3 deg side.
post #40 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
Should be a 3 deg side.
The shop guys said 2 degrees on the side for all Atomics. Can anyone confirm a 2 degree or 3 degree factory bevel? I've got the B5 but no way to measure the bevel.
post #41 of 54
Mine definitively came from Atomic with 3 degrees side.
post #42 of 54

Neox Binding weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_501
I've been calling around and so far I have been unable to get confirmation that the 06 Neox's will be lighter. Has an Atomic rep confirmed this?

The Atomic Neox Binding is lighter for sure. I didn't mid the old one but the new on is 1.25 lbs lighter.
post #43 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimeral
The B5s were sold out early, almost everywhere. Our shop sold out before Xmas.

As for the issue of shops being squeamish....they are all worried that ATomic has gone down a dead end. The R series was very popular and they scrapped it for the geometry of the Metron series. Shop owners still remember that Elan started the shaped ski revolution but the SCX was a commercial disaster. The B5 is an experts ski and the vast majority of ski buyers are intermediate to advanced so the issue is not if the ski is good but its' commercial viability.
Bismeral: Wouldn't the brisk sales of the B:5 (sold-out before Xmas), allay any fears of a "dead end".

I understand that the B:5 is an expert's ski. However, aren't dealers satisfied by the broad array of Metron's available for all skill sements?

I'm not a dealer. But, I'd expect dealers to be doing cartwheels for skis that vanish on contact with the store ski rack, and which have enough models to satisfy all skill levels.
post #44 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_501
The shop guys said 2 degrees on the side for all Atomics. Can anyone confirm a 2 degree or 3 degree factory bevel? I've got the B5 but no way to measure the bevel.
1 and 3, no doubt.
post #45 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by skifreeordie
The Atomic Neox Binding is lighter for sure. I didn't mid the old one but the new on is 1.25 lbs lighter.
Yes. I also hoisted and skied a pair last week. This is definitely good info. The rep said 1 lb and someone else on the forum said 1.1 lbs. But I was told by an Atomic rep 1 lb and they felt noticeably lighter.
post #46 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Strato
Bismeral: Wouldn't the brisk sales of the B:5 (sold-out before Xmas), allay any fears of a "dead end".

I understand that the B:5 is an expert's ski. However, aren't dealers satisfied by the broad array of Metron's available for all skill sements?

I'm not a dealer. But, I'd expect dealers to be doing cartwheels for skis that vanish on contact with the store ski rack, and which have enough models to satisfy all skill levels.
Not really. The vast majority of sales are to intermediate skiers and they do not benefit as much from the extreme shape. Still like to skid a lot.

This is not my opinion but I heard it from a number of dealers and the guys I work for heard it from dealers all over the country.

The fear is that they will pidgeon hole themselves with a more radical technology that does not have a clear benefit for the average joe skier. Maybe they are right and maybe not.

However, I skied several midfats that skied better than the B5s....Nordica, Volkl, and Dynastar and dealers are saying to themselve...why take the risk and have to dump the inventory.

Personally, I don't know and am glad I do not have to make the decision.
post #47 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_501
The shop guys said 2 degrees on the side for all Atomics. Can anyone confirm a 2 degree or 3 degree factory bevel? I've got the B5 but no way to measure the bevel.
My understanding is 1 degree base and 2 degree side on all Atomics.

If you like the ski does it matter?
post #48 of 54
Just rec'd a pair of 2006 162 B5's. I took a few runs today (groomed) and they ski the same as my 2005 162's (which now are my wifes). The weight is still heavy but if you keep them on the snow, no worries. The only change that I can see is the graphics. I will be trying a 172 tomorrow (my buddies I picked up today as well). If anyone is interested in a pair of 2006 Atomic B5's PM me with your name and phone number.
post #49 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimeral
My understanding is 1 degree base and 2 degree side on all Atomics.

If you like the ski does it matter?

Hmm...here's the 2 degree side bevel again for all Atomics. Same thing my shop told me. I hope there is an Atomic rep that will jump in to confirm 2 or 3 degree.

It matters because I want to be able to keep the ski tuned as to factory specs because it skis so darn well as is.
post #50 of 54
1 and 3

Believe me

1 and 3

If you do a search you will find a ton of threads on Atomic's bevel.

If you don't believe us call Atomic.
post #51 of 54
1 (one) degree base edge bevel, 3 (three) degrees side edge bevel.
post #52 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betaracer
1 (one) degree base edge bevel, 3 (three) degrees side edge bevel.
Thanks guys! Man, how does an Atomic shop get it wrong? Are there different bevels in the Atomic lineup?
post #53 of 54
There was a time back some years that it was 1 and 2. It has been 1 and 3 for some time now though and your shop just hasn't caught up or think they ski better 1 and 2 maybe. Later, RicB.
post #54 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimeral
I skied several midfats that skied better than the B5s....Nordica, Volkl, and Dynastar and dealers are saying to themselve...why take the risk and have to dump the inventory.
I'm starting to realize there's no absolute "best" out there. It's all relative.

I demo'd the skis you mentioned (except Nordica), and found them "traditional" (very good, but not thrilling), while the B:5's blew my socks off.

Obviously, not everyone appreciates Metron's radical ski shape. Makes sense! We're all different and employ different styles. Point taken.

However, regarding your point: "taking the risk of dumping inventory", my question is: what inventory?

If everything is sold-out, where's the risk?

I understand that the B:5 and M:11 are advanced skis. However, from what shop owners have told me, the intermediate Metrons are also mostly gone (M:9's, M:10's).

If so, it seems "skidders" are also finding something to their liking.

My point is: dealers put their toe in the water with Metron's this year - as I would have done. The designs were radical, therefore risky.

However, if the Metron stock quickly sold-out, as you and others indicated, and the cash is in the till, what dealer isn't happy?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion