EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › look vs rossi bindings..?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

look vs rossi bindings..?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
hi, what are the differances,when talking about the turning heel type.is one better than the other..?
post #2 of 26
They're identical.
post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 
are they the same company..?
post #4 of 26
dozer, welcome to EpicSki! As El Chupacabra says, the only difference between the Look and Rossi bindings are the paint jobs. Yes, they are the same company.
post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 
thank you, I have not skied in 20 years,last jan. my gf convinced me to try it again,well I'm on crack with skiing,I loged 48 days since then ,(28 this year) and have three new sets of skis ,so I'm trying to re-educate my self.
post #6 of 26
I think (though not 100% sure) that Look is the real manufacturer, and allows Rossi to sell them with Rossi branding. If you're a cyclist you'll recognize Look from the bicycling world -- I think that's where the connection lies (clipless pedals - ski bindings).

-Karl
post #7 of 26
rossis usually run for about $20-25 more than looks for some reason.
post #8 of 26
Good choice of binding dozer!
Rossi is the big corporate entity. They own Dynastar and Look. Look does all the manufacturing (of Rossi bindings) in Italy.
The bindings are abolutely the same. Looks are better though ;-)
post #9 of 26
Look's been making the same basic ski binding for decades. They made some changes to the toe in the late 80s, then did a few things to the heel (like limit the rotation) more recently. The bike clips came later, actually. But, they are good bindings, with a 5mm delta angle (so make sure that works for your balance on them).
post #10 of 26
Thread Starter 
ssh,so the delta angle is..? the heel 5mm higher than the toe..? guessing. I sill have my dads skis up in my moms garage,I think olin mark Iv..? with the look bindings from about 1975. I don't know what happend to my dynastar omniglass,man things have changed.
post #11 of 26
dozer, yep, 5mm higher than the toe. That messes me up bigtime, but YMMV. (I need a "gas pedal" under the toe to get them to level.)
post #12 of 26
they're the same. same company, same mfr, different paint/color schemes.

the 5mm difference is what makes 'em work well for me. alas, pivot heel, we knew ye well. in '06 it won't be around any longer at most consumer levels.
post #13 of 26
Both are produced in the Look factory which belongs to the Rossi empire (Rossignol, Dynastar, Look, Lange, Kerma, ...?)
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzostrike
the 5mm difference is what makes 'em work well for me. alas, pivot heel, we knew ye well. in '06 it won't be around any longer at most consumer levels.
What?!?! What are they doing?!
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
What?!?! What are they doing?!
They let the heel piece but removed the turntable and put it onto a "standard" base.
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkracer
They let the heel piece but removed the turntable and put it onto a "standard" base.
That's nuts! The one design element that differentiated them, and they get rid of it. What is it about turntables that the manufacturers don't like? I've always found the design elegant and sensible (put the binding pivot point under the foot's pivot point). I like the Line bindings for this reason, too. Crazy.
post #17 of 26
There is a decent picture of the demo version of the new design HERE I am slightly dubious about it, the pivots have worked brilliantly in my opinion.
post #18 of 26
Thanks, kiwiski. Looks like every other binding, now. Talk about losing your differentiation!
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
That's nuts! The one design element that differentiated them, and they get rid of it. What is it about turntables that the manufacturers don't like? I've always found the design elegant and sensible (put the binding pivot point under the foot's pivot point). I like the Line bindings for this reason, too. Crazy.
I hear ya, Steve. and I too like the Line Pivogy bindings for the same reason. time to stock up on the Pivots now, and then see if Line keeps making bindings.
post #20 of 26
Is Marker still making the MRR?
post #21 of 26
No MRR's from Marker

One small note... although look and rossi bindings are basically similiar, Rossignol does put a touch of rubber under the heel. (but who's counting? )
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
Is Marker still making the MRR?
They stopped making it about 4 years ago, then revived it after a season off but there has been no MRR for the last two years - at least not in the catalog.
I may ask the man who owns the factory producing all Markers (except Motions) why they let the MRR go. (They are Made in Czech Republic now, not the traditional Eschenlohe/Germany-Bavaria any more.)
I might even send a mail to the former Marker chief-designer who had been with Marker for a long time and who is a native-born Czech.
Btw, there were some rumors on somewhat unsatisfactory heel retention in the pivot heel design. Might it be that the stronger lateral demands on present-day skis when carving turns especially on hardpack exposed some disadvantage of this solution?
Even if so, such disadvantages wouldn´t apply to the turntable as a freeskiing binding.
Any knowledge/info why they REALLY got rid of it?
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkracer
Any knowledge/info why they REALLY got rid of it?
Easy, they sell in such small quantities that they are not worth producing. Also, last time I checked Marker didn't have wide brakes avaiable for the MRR's...again, another disadvantage from a marketing perspective.

I heard the rumor about Look/Rossi was that the pivot heels were expensive to produce...it is all about making money in this business,after all.
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkracer
They stopped making it about 4 years ago, then revived it after a season off but there has been no MRR for the last two years - at least not in the catalog.
I may ask the man who owns the factory producing all Markers (except Motions) why they let the MRR go. (They are Made in Czech Republic now, not the traditional Eschenlohe/Germany-Bavaria any more.)
I might even send a mail to the former Marker chief-designer who had been with Marker for a long time and who is a native-born Czech.
Btw, there were some rumors on somewhat unsatisfactory heel retention in the pivot heel design. Might it be that the stronger lateral demands on present-day skis when carving turns especially on hardpack exposed some disadvantage of this solution?
Even if so, such disadvantages wouldn´t apply to the turntable as a freeskiing binding.
Any knowledge/info why they REALLY got rid of it?
Actually, I always thought that the lateral connection of the heel on the sides of the boot actually increased the lateral strength of the bindings. I hope that Line eats Looks' lunch as a result.

I would love to hear the real scoop on this. Let us know what you learn?
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit Man
Easy, they sell in such small quantities that they are not worth producing. Also, last time I checked Marker didn't have wide brakes avaiable for the MRR's...again, another disadvantage from a marketing perspective.

I heard the rumor about Look/Rossi was that the pivot heels were expensive to produce...it is all about making money in this business,after all.
...and they sold in small quantities because the companies no longer marketed them. Probably for fear of damaging the rest of their binding line!
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
...and they sold in small quantities because the companies no longer marketed them. Probably for fear of damaging the rest of their binding line!
This may be true for Marker but the Look and Rossi pivots have always been top of their lines and you always saw the racers with them.
As for Europe I don´t have the impression they no longer marketed them.
I will start inquiring. Of course I will let the Bears know what the binding Gurus told me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › look vs rossi bindings..?