or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Love/Hate Killington - Page 3

post #61 of 94
PA

I'd like to suggest that you go to Mad River Glen if you like ungroomed and natural. Killington is big, gets more snow than most in Vt and has great snowmaking. But it isn't Vermont. Something is seriously missing.

Having said that, I bought a season ticket. The place is an hour and a half from my house. I can go during the week for half days or more. What the hell, I can and will go to other places as well. Oh, and I have a Jiminy pass as well to stay in shape.

Phil, we should crank some turns together. I have only met one other bear and it was a lot of fun (but she was cute). I need to get to know the mountain and have a better understanding from which to critisize. Many people swear by it. They always talk about the woods. Many people in my area season pass at K-mart.
post #62 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul jones
Phil, we should crank some turns together. I have only met one other bear and it was a lot of fun (but she was cute). I need to get to know the mountain and have a better understanding from which to critisize. Many people swear by it. They always talk about the woods. Many people in my area season pass at K-mart.
Not a problem. Last years I skied with Bears as many days than I didn't. I usually post when I am heading up to Vermont. After skiing K-ton for 25 years of and on, I can get around, but I still make a wrong turn here or there. To ski killington, you have to ski smart, especially on weekends.
post #63 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billd
I loathe Killington.

I would recommend Kmart only for the drunk guys in Jets jerseys looking to ski the biggest, baddest marketed mountain in the east!
LOL, that line is perfect. IMO they have more gapers and posers there then any other area in the Northeast. To each his own, but I've always felt like a rat in a maze at Kmart.
post #64 of 94
It seems like people who ski Killington alway say that you just need to know where to go. So where do you go? Needle's Eye, that area seems like it could have potential. As I recall - Vertgo. Canyon Quad is dull, except the woods skier's right. I did have a great time there in 27" of falling snow, but that would be the case anywhere.

Bear mountain is fun, but I can only hammer so many bumps in a day. The bumps there are huge. I like Mad River's bumps - nice and tight and not too large.

I hear that Snowdon has some good wooods. Looks flat to me. Guess I'll have to try it.

So please, give us some tips on where to go at Killington. I'm just an old man looking for some action and I won't tell anyone!
post #65 of 94
I'm not the best for providing insider's guide to crowd avoidance at Killington. I only get there every few years, but have been doing so for 30 yrs. Main things are common sense, stay away on Holidays and beware of other prime weekends. Of course, if you're like me (and many other family folks), that's when you're mostly likely free to make a multiday visit. On busy days stay away from main base area, that means avoid K1 gondi, snowdon and snowshed areas. Try South Ridge Triple area when its funky old chair is open, which I understand is getting less frequent. Glades triple chair area is not bad either. Skye Peak/Needles Eye is pretty good, but can get busy, try Skye Peak runs over towards Bear mtn. I like groomers around Bear mtn, e.g. Wildfire and Beartrap. The chairs serving well known black diamond terrain like Canyon quad and Superstar express are often not too crowded, but beware of in-over-their-head skiers on these runs. If you ski with low intermediates they might like uncrowded slopes around Sunrise area and the runs around lower half of Skyeship gondola, where there are also a few steep pitches under the gondi line. I like to use the Skyeship gondi base station as a starting point in the morning and can stay on the Bear/Sunrise/Skye/South Ridge side of Killington for entire weekends.
post #66 of 94
At K, are the shops, restaurants, etc. within walking distance to the slopes ala Stratton, Showshoe, Tremblant etc? And, can you guys recommend affordable, nice, lodging within walking distance to the lifts? I have it narrowed down to Killington, Sugarbush and possibly Whiteface for my northern trek this season, with K slightly ahead of the pack.
post #67 of 94
timing is key too. Get there early, ski the main lists till 9:30, once the big crowds start hitting, go and hide on the secondary lifts. Skit through lunch, either eat at 11 or 1:30. The place will start clearing out bout 2:30-3:00 especially mid winter when the light is the worst late in the day. At that point find some south/west exposures to kee the best light. If you are a bumper, Superstar and Outer Limits are getting good.
post #68 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Ridge Racer
At K, are the shops, restaurants, etc. within walking distance to the slopes ala Stratton, Showshoe, Tremblant etc? And, can you guys recommend affordable, nice, lodging within walking distance to the lifts? I have it narrowed down to Killington, Sugarbush and possibly Whiteface for my northern trek this season, with K slightly ahead of the pack.
I'm at Whiteface almost every weekend so I'm writing about my home team here. Whiteface has the highest vert in the east, but skis less then 300 in bounds acres, so it's much smaller then Kmart. Although IMO there's less then 300 acres at Kmart worth skiing. It's considered an experts mountain, but there are enough blues and greens to keep non experts happy. There is no lodging at the base. There are some motels within walking distance, but a long walk. Most of the lodging and night life are 12 minutes away in Lake Placid. There is alot of both. If you are coming the mid Feb. or after you might be lucky enough to have the Slides open. Nothing like it in the Northeast (backcountry) that is lift serviced.

I've skied at SB about 25 times and like it very much. To me it's well worth the extra 45 minute drive north of Kmart.
post #69 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
I'm at Whiteface almost every weekend so I'm writing about my home team here. Whiteface has the highest vert in the east, but skis less then 300 in bounds acres, so it's much smaller then Kmart. Although IMO there's less then 300 acres at Kmart worth skiing. It's considered an experts mountain, but there are enough blues and greens to keep non experts happy. There is no lodging at the base. There are some motels within walking distance, but a long walk. Most of the lodging and night life are 12 minutes away in Lake Placid. There is alot of both. If you are coming the mid Feb. or after you might be lucky enough to have the Slides open. Nothing like it in the Northeast (backcountry) that is lift serviced.

I've skied at SB about 25 times and like it very much. To me it's well worth the extra 45 minute drive north of Kmart.
Thanks for the info. If I do Whiteface I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll be taking a shuttle to the mountain from LP. and I have some reasonable lodging sites in mind. Are the slides lift serviced? I thought they weren't.
post #70 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Ridge Racer
Thanks for the info. If I do Whiteface I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll be taking a shuttle to the mountain from LP. and I have some reasonable lodging sites in mind. Are the slides lift serviced? I thought they weren't.
You take the summit quad up and traverse in. If you go let me know. If you have the time we can take some runs or have some drinks or both.
post #71 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
You take the summit quad up and traverse in. If you go let me know. If you have the time we can take some runs or have some drinks or both.
Absolutely, I'll let you know if I go. by the way High Peak's, how's the snow in late march, first week of April? Thats likely when I'll be there if I go.
post #72 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Ridge Racer
Absolutely, I'll let you know if I go. by the way High Peak's, how's the snow in late march, first week of April? Thats likely when I'll be there if I go.
It's usually very good. In fact that time of the year this past season was great.
post #73 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
It's usually very good. In fact that time of the year this past season was great.
i figured as much. And I can probably get good off peak rates!!
post #74 of 94
Whiteface IMO does not have terrain. Everytime I go there it's all groomed out and its a downhill run. The lift that goes to the highest point has these trails that are steep but aren't. You can go straight down and its really not that great.

The bottom is a long run out and you have to do it if you want to ski the gondola.

The snow at Whiteface is half what Killington gets! That's why they have to groom everything. Don't get me wrong, Whiteface is beautiful. The views are awesome. But the mountain under impresses me.
post #75 of 94
Whiteface was one the most unimpressive mountians I have ever been to. You cannot compare Whiteface with Killington.
post #76 of 94
...just when I thought I had my mind made up.
post #77 of 94
This is what I think of you guys Paul and Phil -


Only kidding. Obviously I disagree with your assessments, but what would be the point of going into it point by point. You got yours and I got mine. The important thing is we'll all be skiing where we like it come November.
post #78 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
This is what I think of you guys Paul and Phil -


Only kidding. Obviously I disagree with your assessments, but what would be the point of going into it point by point. You got yours and I got mine. The important thing is we'll all be skiing where we like it come November.
LOL, he is looking for a weeks stay. No way could I do a week at Whiteface. Even Killington would be tough for a week including Pico. PA could stay near Killington and do 1-2 days there, Okemo for a day, MRG and Sugarbush are jsut a bit north. You have 5-7 great areas w/in an hours drive from Killington.

Plus, we are looking at an APRIL trip, we are thinking sooo far ahead it is rediculous. Lets see wha the season brings for snow first.
post #79 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
LOL, he is looking for a weeks stay. No way could I do a week at Whiteface. Even Killington would be tough for a week including Pico. PA could stay near Killington and do 1-2 days there, Okemo for a day, MRG and Sugarbush are jsut a bit north. You have 5-7 great areas w/in an hours drive from Killington.

Plus, we are looking at an APRIL trip, we are thinking sooo far ahead it is rediculous. Lets see wha the season brings for snow first.
I could do a week anywhere just as long as I'm skiing it beats the alternative.
Da Bush and MRG are great areas, but Okemo? Here's a plan, stay in Stowe, ski there, Smuggs, Sugarbush and Jay. Know that's good stuff. The best part is no crowded, pushy, over rated Kmart.
post #80 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by highpeaksdrifter
I could do a week anywhere just as long as I'm skiing it beats the alternative.
Da Bush and MRG are great areas, but Okemo? Here's a plan, stay in Stowe, ski there, Smuggs, Sugarbush and Jay. Know that's good stuff. The best part is no crowded, pushy, over rated Kmart.
That is another good option to hit the upper areas. I could see Stowe & Smuggs over Killington and Okemo. Okemo is still a guilty pleasure for me though
post #81 of 94
I'd say, stay in Stowe and ski Mad River for one day. It's worth it. The place is such an unusual experience. When I go up that way I always stay in Stowe. Its a great place for restraunts and stuff. Mad River is not that far from there. Our lodge is there.

Cross off Okemo, it's freakin dull! It's uninspired and lacks.

If you stay in Stowe I believe its a haul to go to Smuggs. Pretty sure it's one of those "can't get there from here" situations. Jay is about an hour from Stowe.

Having said all that - go to Mad River, go on a weekday and become one with the Mt! It's a cool place.
post #82 of 94
Gentlemen, I greatly apprieciate your knowledgable input. Normally I drive to a resort, park my car, stay 2 or 3 days and I don't start the car again until I leave to head back to PA. From the research that I have done all three areas (WFace, K, and Sugarbush) seem to be good late season with Killington prbably being the better option at that time. MRG might be questionable late season, which is the time I can head up there.
post #83 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul jones
I'd say, stay in Stowe and ski Mad River for one day. It's worth it. The place is such an unusual experience. When I go up that way I always stay in Stowe. Its a great place for restraunts and stuff. Mad River is not that far from there. Our lodge is there.

Cross off Okemo, it's freakin dull! It's uninspired and lacks.

If you stay in Stowe I believe its a haul to go to Smuggs. Pretty sure it's one of those "can't get there from here" situations. Jay is about an hour from Stowe.

Having said all that - go to Mad River, go on a weekday and become one with the Mt! It's a cool place.
Smuggs is about 45 minutes from Stowe in the winter. Since the Notch is closed you have to drive around through Morisville.

Hey Paul, you mentioned "your lodge". Are you a member of one of those ski clubs that have lodges up there or are you referring to a private residence?
post #84 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese
That is another good option to hit the upper areas. I could see Stowe & Smuggs over Killington and Okemo. Okemo is still a guilty pleasure for me though
Phil, what is it about Okemo that makes it a pleasure for you? I've only been there once and I didn't like it at all. However, I realize that once isn't enough to fairly judge a mountain.
post #85 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Ridge Racer
Gentlemen, I greatly apprieciate your knowledgable input. Normally I drive to a resort, park my car, stay 2 or 3 days and I don't start the car again until I leave to head back to PA. From the research that I have done all three areas (WFace, K, and Sugarbush) seem to be good late season with Killington prbably being the better option at that time. MRG might be questionable late season, which is the time I can head up there.
Drive farther, ski powder...

Seriously, I'd suggest checking the prices for a trek to Little/Big Cottonwood to make sure that it's really out of the question for you...
post #86 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
Drive farther, ski powder...

Seriously, I'd suggest checking the prices for a trek to Little/Big Cottonwood to make sure that it's really out of the question for you...
I'll check into it - thanks. I think a western swing will probably be more feasible next season however.
post #87 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Ridge Racer
I'll check into it - thanks. I think a western swing will probably be more feasible next season however.
Isn't that what we're talking about? Next season?

OK, I'll be quiet, now... Time for dinner, anyway...
post #88 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
Isn't that what we're talking about? Next season?

OK, I'll be quiet, now... Time for dinner, anyway...
lol...what I meant to say is I think a western swing is more feasible the season after this upcoming season
post #89 of 94
Drifter,

The lodge is a club, SWC, out of Schenectady. It's an unusual place. I like it, but wife refuses to go. 5,6,7 beds to a room, large room with fireplace. Kitchen with lots of seating. There is usually a person who plans the meals and they are quite good. People are serious about skiing. Lots of older folks who still get out. Many flannel shirts and beards and wife claims - granola.

$16 per night, $2 breakfast, ? dinner. We usually go out - Pie in the Sky. You have to be a member or a guest with a member.
post #90 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul jones
Drifter,

The lodge is a club, SWC, out of Schenectady. It's an unusual place. I like it, but wife refuses to go. 5,6,7 beds to a room, large room with fireplace. Kitchen with lots of seating. There is usually a person who plans the meals and they are quite good. People are serious about skiing. Lots of older folks who still get out. Many flannel shirts and beards and wife claims - granola.

$16 per night, $2 breakfast, ? dinner. We usually go out - Pie in the Sky. You have to be a member or a guest with a member.
Sounds like a good time and the $ is right. My wife would never go for it either.

In the past accommedations like that would be hard on me because I'm a very light sleeper and we men do snore alot, so I'd get little sleep and look and feel tired all the time. This past season I went on a week trip to Colorado, 7 guys in a 2 bedroom condo. I was having the same problem and one of the guys offered me ear plugs that I guess people use at rifle ranges. They are soft and form to the inside of the ear. The difference they made was unbelievable , I used them again this summer on a group camping trip. I'll never travel without them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel