or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Powder AND bumps? - Page 2

post #31 of 56
Thread Starter 
Can someone address whether or not the Legend 4800 might be a suitable choice for this dual purpose, training-wheel ski?
post #32 of 56
Wait for next year and get the Nordica HotRod Modified. It'll be a great ski for powder and bumps for intemediates and advanced skiers.
post #33 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bong
Wait for next year and get the Nordica HotRod Modified. It'll be a great ski for powder and bumps for intemediates and advanced skiers.
That would entail waiting till AFTER next year. I shop post-season sales. Any opinions on the 4800?
post #34 of 56
The 4800 is a great ski overall. It should perform well in the bumps, but will be somewhat limited in powder because of it's lack of girth. A happy medium would be the 8000 (which I own). It skis very similar to the 4800, imo. I disagree with those that feel that the 8000 is too stiff for bumps as it's just not that stiff.
post #35 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach13
The 4800 is a great ski overall. It should perform well in the bumps, but will be somewhat limited in powder because of it's lack of girth. A happy medium would be the 8000 (which I own). It skis very similar to the 4800, imo. I disagree with those that feel that the 8000 is too stiff for bumps as it's just not that stiff.
How much softer is the 8000 than my SX:11s? Huge difference, I'd imagine, yes?
post #36 of 56
I've no experience with the sx-11. People tell me that the Fischer RX 8 (which I also own) is softer than the SX 11. The 8000 is a little softer than the RX 8, imo.
post #37 of 56
Thread Starter 
The 4800 is 114/75/102mm, the 8000 is 116/79/102mm...big fifference? I'm guessing that if I want more agility in the bumps, the 172 would suit me and skewing toward more float the 178 would be better. I'm guessing that more surface area=more float so the 178 would again be preferable to the 172 in the narrower ski for powder. Would I be noticably stuggling with the additional 6cm in the bumps?
post #38 of 56
I'd go with the 178, but it's a toss up as 6cm is not much. I ski it in a 184cm and think it's great for all conditions and terrain. I have not, however, skied it in more than about a foot of powder.
post #39 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach13
I'd go with the 178, but it's a toss up as 6cm is not much. I ski it in a 184cm and think it's great for all conditions and terrain. I have not, however, skied it in more than about a foot of powder.
You're talking about the 8000, right?
post #40 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraw
You're talking about the 8000, right?
Correct. Sorry for the confusion.
post #41 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach13
Correct. Sorry for the confusion.
No worries. Thanks for the input. I'm leaning toward 178cm 4800s.
post #42 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraw
Hmmm...where is PM's chart?
Here it is: Linky
post #43 of 56
Find an older Fischer BigStix 84. It's softer and straighter than what you'll find elsewhere, both features that are a good thing for bumps and powder. It's also a width that won't kill you in the bumps, but will help you in the pow.

It's a great ski, and actually turnier than the sidecut would indicate because of the softer flex. Still a high performance ski (can handle speed better than the Pocket Rocket).
post #44 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano
Here it is: Linky
thanks!
post #45 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip
Find an older Fischer BigStix 84. It's softer and straighter than what you'll find elsewhere, both features that are a good thing for bumps and powder. It's also a width that won't kill you in the bumps, but will help you in the pow.

It's a great ski, and actually turnier than the sidecut would indicate because of the softer flex. Still a high performance ski (can handle speed better than the Pocket Rocket).
thanks!
post #46 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip
Find an older Fischer BigStix 84. It's softer and straighter than what you'll find elsewhere, both features that are a good thing for bumps and powder. It's also a width that won't kill you in the bumps, but will help you in the pow.

It's a great ski, and actually turnier than the sidecut would indicate because of the softer flex. Still a high performance ski (can handle speed better than the Pocket Rocket).
Lots of Fischer BigStix 8.6 around...no Fischer BigStix 8.4. Crud....
post #47 of 56
I saw at least 3 pair of BigStix 84 on eBay only 2 days ago.

My friends' shop has some '03-'04 Intuitiv 74 (what is the 4800 this year) in several sizes at good prices -- nobody in town seems to know that they're hiding out at this shop! give them a call at High Country Sports, 406-721-3992 and ask for Shawn Woodland or Andy Frank or Mat McGrath in the Skis Dept. tell Shawn/Andy/Mat that you know Sean O'Neil and he suggested that you call.

I'd also second oboe's recommendation on the Elan 666. I love mine.
post #48 of 56
JStraw,

Softer flexing skis will be better at bumps and pow pow. Demo some softer (medium-soft flexing) skis (fischer bigstix, dynastar, rossi, k2, salomon, etc...) starting with the wider medium stiff skis in a meium lenght ~175s. Work your way down to narrower + softer skis. Find the widest ski that you think is "good enough" in the bumps. That way you will have hopefully enough width for pow pow and a ski that is still nice in the bumps and with some stiffness you will have more crud busting power. You don't even need a powder day to demo the skis jsut assume that if its medium to softish and wider it will be good.

The 4800 is proabbly the narrowest ski you want to try if you want any float at all. You are a bigger guy iirc.
post #49 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzostrike
I'd also second oboe's recommendation on the Elan 666. I love mine.
Forgiving in the bumps?
post #50 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraw
Forgiving in the bumps?
depends on how forgiving you need. they have 2 Ti sheets, so they're bendable for sure. I am comfortable skiing mine in the bumps, but I don't ski bumps with a technique that is prone to bending skis. also I'm light, and so is oboe, and the Elans seem better for lighter folks. I didn't see that you weigh 200 or so, that's probably not a good thing for the 666.

Legend 4800 or 8000 (or Intuitiv 74)
Bandit B2
Pocket Rockets
Fischer BigStix 8.0
post #51 of 56
Thread Starter 
Thanks...Intuitiv 74's are *cheap*
post #52 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraw
Lots of Fischer BigStix 8.6 around...no Fischer BigStix 8.4. Crud....
Make sure you look for the 84 ("eighty-four") not an 8.4 ("eight-point-four") as the naming convention was different on the previous bigstix (106, 84, 75) than the current ones (10.6, 8.6, 8.0, 7.6).

It will certainly outperform a 666 or similar in the bumps and powder, because of the soft flex, additional surface area, and relatively narrow tips. It will also be easier to manage if you venture into the trees. It will give something up on the groomers, but that's what your SL:11s are for.

edit: also, keep in mind it is a difference bird than the current 8.6, which is stiffer and has more sidecut. Also a great ski, but more demanding. Gonzo is right, the closest current Fischer model is the 8.0, but that one gives up some waist width (flotation) to the older 84.
post #53 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip
Make sure you look for the 84 ("eighty-four") not an 8.4 ("eight-point-four") as the naming convention was different on the previous bigstix (106, 84, 75) than the current ones (10.6, 8.6, 8.0, 7.6).

It will certainly outperform a 666 or similar in the bumps and powder, because of the soft flex, additional surface area, and relatively narrow tips. It will also be easier to manage if you venture into the trees. It will give something up on the groomers, but that's what your SL:11s are for.

edit: also, keep in mind it is a difference bird than the current 8.6, which is stiffer and has more sidecut. Also a great ski, but more demanding. Gonzo is right, the closest current Fischer model is the 8.0, but that one gives up some waist width (flotation) to the older 84.
I'm grateful for the clarification, thank you.
post #54 of 56
I have the Legend 4800 in a 172. (Aspiring expert, 5'9.5", 144 lbs.) I have demoed the 8000. The 4800 is more nimble and quicker. The 8000 is a little more stable and has more float. For learning bumps, the 4800 has the edge. For powder, the 8000 would be better or the 8800. For your size, the 8000 in a 178 is a pretty good compromise but it is a compromise. For powder, you really should have something even wider.

For me, in the bumps, I think the 4800 is the best ski I have been on yet. Soft tip, and just the right amount of flex for me. Bigger skis seem awkward. Stiffer skis are more work. Smaller skis are not as stable. The 4800 is just right.

However, for all other conditions, including groomed runs, I prefer the 8000.
post #55 of 56
excuse my noobness
but what waist would be good for powder? i've read something like a 80mm is good and other plcae a 68mm is good..
so what waist range is good for powder? and what waist range is good for mogul?
post #56 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgudaitis
I have the Legend 4800 in a 172. (Aspiring expert, 5'9.5", 144 lbs.) I have demoed the 8000. The 4800 is more nimble and quicker. The 8000 is a little more stable and has more float. For learning bumps, the 4800 has the edge. For powder, the 8000 would be better or the 8800. For your size, the 8000 in a 178 is a pretty good compromise but it is a compromise. For powder, you really should have something even wider.

For me, in the bumps, I think the 4800 is the best ski I have been on yet. Soft tip, and just the right amount of flex for me. Bigger skis seem awkward. Stiffer skis are more work. Smaller skis are not as stable. The 4800 is just right.

However, for all other conditions, including groomed runs, I prefer the 8000.
Well yes, a compromise is what I'm seeking. Few look better on paper than the 8000.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion