Originally Posted by Jeffblouin
I booked a trip to fernie from february 19 to february 26. I just went on the website and things look prety bad! Is there usally good snow precipitation in the beginning of february? Or should i loose 400$ on the reservation and go somewhere else...
A lot can change by then, Generally that would be a good week to come here, but like jpc said there are no guarantees. The town is full of p!ssed off people right now...but what can you do? The resort only adds salt to the wounds by charging full price for lift tickets with many closures and skiing marginal at best. That is a huge compaint this year.
From Jan 12th to the 17th conditions were incredible, There was knee deep blower everywhere, although temps were cold,the sking was unreal, pow was blowing over my head every turn.
Yesterday a group of us did a day trip to Kicking horse. They have recieved over 90cm in the last 5 days. Although the snow wasn't what I would call hero powder, it was still a fantastic day. We got lots of untracked turns in the alpine. (It's a sad state of affairs when the Fernie locals have to do a 4 hour drive to get their powder fix!) But hey, it was a better option than hanging around here and b!tchin' about the weather, and roadtrips are always fun.
Fernie weather certainly isn't as dependable as it used to be. Now you toss the dice and take your chances I guess.
I don't know what kind of skier group you have, but KH might be a better option. They have mostly advanced terrain, although the lower mountain isn't too radical.
So far KH is having a incredible year as far as conditions go, and Fernie has to once again play catch up on the snowpack.
Keep a close eye on http://far.redtree.com/cgmrep.html
and don't even waste your time on the official report (they even took the lower mt. web cams down in an attempt to hide the ugly truth). Make a decision closer to the date scheduled if possible.
Anyway I hope everything works out for the best no matter what you decide.
Cheers!! Think Snow!!