Originally Posted by HeluvaSkier
I just realizd some interesting things ...
So Fischer is using the following sidecuts:
RC: 112-66-96 (Really old/antiquated, probably on it's way out)
SC: 118-66-99 (3 seasons old)
RX Fire: 123-66-102 (6+? seasons old)
RX9 (FTi): 110-69-96 (New sidecut - not sure on this one, but I thought the old RX9 had a 109mm tip?)
RX8 (FTi): 116-66-98 (New sidecut entirely)
RX6 (FTi): 114-68-98 (Old footprint... New seeing FTi here?)
Here are my conclusions:
1) The RX8 could possibly be an entirely new ski this year.
2) The new RX Fire is the old coveted WC SC (the one with the itty-bitty radius).
3) I like the RX9 sidecut (personal observation), and would not be surprised to see it show up on the RC model... someday.
4) With the RX6 being badged with the FTi now, which I think means metal - something the RX6 never had before - could mean that this years RX6 is in fact the older RX8 FTi... just a hypothesis of course... but imagine the bang you get for your buck there...
5) If the RX series is going bye-bye next year it looks like the RX8/RX9 side cuts (especially since they are now sandwich) might show up with that Flowflex plate, a little more metal (or maybe not), and be called the 2007/2008 RC and SC - assuming the SC and RC are changed... if not look for the RX8 and RX9 to continue on with new names.
6) The RX series will continue in one form or another - it has been too successful to drop it without following it with something just as successful/good.
Hi Greg & all,
I have a slightly different take on these models, so pardon me if I split hairs a little...
The 06/07 RX8 must be all new, the use of Sandwich construction with that sidecut has never been known in any model that I'm aware of. My 175cm 05/06 RX8 is a 115-66-98mm sidecut, just 1 mm off from the existing model on the website. The website data might be for an other size, so for me, its the same sidecut with new construction.
Like you said, The RX Fire is the same construction and sidecut as the first WC SC; is it just a new top-sheet on an existing ski? No matter, good to see it, and the RX name has strong value now.
The 06/07 RX9 must also be all new. Again, the use of Sandwich construction with that sidecut has never been known in any model that I'm aware of. The footprint is almost the same, just 1 mm off from the 05/06. The website data might be for an other size, so for me, its the same sidecut with new construction.
I would be very surprised if the RX series went away, even if the slight difference between the RX8 & RX9 and the WC RC creates substantial overlap. I agree that the RC might go away if something has to give. However, the RC is one of the most respected and imitated of the recent Fischer models. The Volkl Racetiger "RC" has the same sidecut, target audience and even name! The Head iRace also has a nearly identical sidecut and potential market. I also think that the Ripstick and some of the other skis out-there are riding on the RC's coattails.
I hope to own 'em all.