EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Atomic Pimp Daddy vs K2 Made'n AK
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Atomic Pimp Daddy vs K2 Made'n AK

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Anyone have any experience with either of these skis? I'm look at picking up a set of powder boards and came across a decent review on the K2 in Skiing Mag and one blurb on Epinions on the standard Sugar Daddy (not the Pimp version though, which are 193 and twins). For the record, I am an ex-racer, agressive skier; 5'10" 190lbs.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!
post #2 of 20
I don't know anything about the Sugar Daddy. My dad has a pair (no pun or joke) and he finds them stiff but good in the powder which he skis at Aspen. He's 6'1", 180 lbs, and very aggressive for a 65 year old.

I'm 6'2", 185 lbs and very aggressive. After having a blast on the Seth Pistol demo in powder I decided to get a 'bigger variation' of the Pistol and purchased the Made N AK 189cm which I'll try to have mounted and ski tomorrow afternoon. I have Volkl Explosiv which I LOVE but I wanted a bigger, longer, and softer ski with twin tips for the massive dumps we have.
post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
Let me know how those K2's work out... I live in SF and all of these massive dumps in Tahoe are inspiring me to perhaps purchase a set of powder boards.
post #4 of 20
A friend skied the Tahoe powder today and was demoing Gotama, Seth Pistol and the Maden and he loved the Maden.

I got mine mounted up tonight and will try so very hard to get tomorrow afternoon off to ski.

These big 189cm boards with the Maiden graphics are sick, sick, sick.
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S

I'm 6'2", 185 lbs and very aggressive. After having a blast on the Seth Pistol demo in powder I decided to get a 'bigger variation' of the Pistol and purchased the Made N AK 189cm which I'll try to have mounted and ski tomorrow afternoon. I have Volkl Explosiv which I LOVE but I wanted a bigger, longer, and softer ski with twin tips for the massive dumps we have.
Ha!! I knew it! At the beginning of the year you skied a 178 SkiCross 10 and now you have a 180 Explosiv and 189 Made'n AK...I called it..."JIM S IS A FAT SKI JUNKY"

Would love the beta on the Made'n AK...I have a pair of '04 Kahunas waiting to be mounted, and purchased them on the same rationale...like the 189 Pistol, but wanted fatter. I look forward to your impressions.
post #6 of 20
Thread Starter 
Love the Maiden graphics as well!

My other skis are Atomic Beta Race 9.20 and SL11's, so you can say I have an affinity to Atomic skis thus the interest in the S-Daddy Pimp Edition. They're 193 with twin tips and the following dimensions: 124/99/118 -- supposedly a fatter, longer version of the sugar daddy. Sound pretty sweet as well.

Oh well, in the end I'm sure I'll want to try them both out, but it's always nice to hear other opinions in the mean time...

Thanks!
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit Man
Ha!! I knew it! At the beginning of the year you skied a 178 SkiCross 10 and now you have a 180 Explosiv and 189 Made'n AK...I called it..."JIM S IS A FAT SKI JUNKY"


No, "you don't know it". You are so wrong. I believe you said I'd use my Explosiv 80% of the time. Well, so far it's 100% of the times since I got them. You were dead on accurate, my man.

Quote:
Would love the beta on the Made'n AK...I have a pair of '04 Kahunas waiting to be mounted, and purchased them on the same rationale...like the 189 Pistol, but wanted fatter. I look forward to your impressions.
I recall you got the Big Kahuna from Ms. Claus. I purchased new boots this weekend Nordica Beast size 27.5 so if you guys are in the Tahoe basin and boots will fit my bindings, you can demo my Madens. Hope to report back early this evening for you:
http://www.k2skis.com/products/skis/...en300415p.html
post #8 of 20
I got to Mt Rose and onto the chair at 2pm and unfortunately most of the powder was gone: groomers, bumps, cut up crud and powder and only 1 decent powder stash but on a very easy, short slope. So I couldn't test the Made N AK in it's appropriate niche except on the latter.

I'm not happy but I must temper my dissatisfaction because it's like taking a Hummer on Skip Barber or F1 race course and saying "I didn't perform well" ....instead of taking it on dunes, mountains, meadows, and river beds. That being said, my impression of these 189cm beasts is:
  • Heavy skis: my quads got tired fast, it's a lot of mass to move around
  • Reasonably nimble on the smooth groomed
  • Tough go in trees and moderate or bigger size bumps
  • Not as playful or versatile as the Seth Pistol
  • When in powder it is sweet and floats really well and better than the Pistol; pretty easy to turn in powder
Definitely a very specific quiver ski. I will ONLY take them out when it's dumping B I G snow. At the end of the short day I was thinking
  • I wish I was on my 180cm Volkl Explosiv
  • Maybe I should have purchased the Seth Pistol in a 179cm
  • Maybe I should wait for the rumored fatter & stiffer Seth Vicious (?98mm)
Alas, this was not one of the days to revel in the Made N AK.
post #9 of 20
Did you take them in the Chutes ? Any better powder left there ?
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chupacabra
Did you take them in the Chutes ? Any better powder left there ?
Yes, the ones that drop in off the Magnum chair. They have the least traffic and the Madens were good there. I didn't try the main Chute gates as they are steep, bumpy, and were tracked out. The best powder to be found (was skiing under the Magnum you bear hard to the skier's downhill right at chair stanchon (pole) 5 and go through the trees to come out) on the little hill facing the main lodge. That always has powder.
post #11 of 20
Thanks Jim -- we'll be there this weekend.

-Karl
post #12 of 20
Karl,

I have to work Saturday but I plan to park at the East Bowl of Mt Rose on Sunday at 8:15am! I'll bring my Explosiv and Maden as it's supposed to snow all day.

Maybe, maybe it'll be Made N Ak conditions. Either that or I've got some great '80s metal memorabilia for the garage for a while.

Jim
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S
At the end of the short day I was thinking
  • I wish I was on my 180cm Volk Explosiv
  • Maybe I should have purchased the Seth Pistol in a 179cm
  • Maybe I should wait for the rumored fatter & stiffer Seth Vicious (?98mm)
Alas, this was not one of the days to revel in the Made N AK.
I agree with your first point...those are still the #1 ski in my quiver, too.
About the SP, I have the 179 (and used to have the 189 and then the wife put her foot down) and back to back, I prefer the 180 Exploder.
On the Vicious, it's gonna be a twinned Chief with a sidecut tweak. It ought to be a tad stiffer, but not like the Exploder...I still think you'll be hard pressed to beat the Exploder for Sierra conditions.

Sorry to hear about a bummer first experience. I'll stand by for a more favorable review after Sunday.
post #14 of 20

Whew......they are fun!

I wa able to get the morning off and skied powder from ankle to thigh deep at Mt Rose. I took the 189cm Madens and.....had a blast!!!!!!!!! Trees, bumps, chutes, long arcing runs, jumps. Just a lot of fun and the skis were so much fun in the powder. Whew....
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S
I wa able to get the morning off and skied powder from ankle to thigh deep at Mt Rose. I took the 189cm Madens and.....had a blast!!!!!!!!! Trees, bumps, chutes, long arcing runs, jumps. Just a lot of fun and the skis were so much fun in the powder. Whew....

Good... but... would you still have rather been on the 180 Explosiv?
post #16 of 20
I'll ski my Explosiv 98% of the time and the Made N AK only on powder days. The Explosiv could handle the powder very well but the AK makes it child's play.

I had the Volkl Explosiv on the car roof but the snow was so good and I was having such a rush that I didn't want to stop to get them. I thought about getting them to do a back to back comparison but I was too hedonistic.

If it keeps snowing tonight, then I'll do just that tomorrow morning.
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit Man
I agree with your first point...those are still the #1 ski in my quiver, too.
About the SP, I have the 179 (and used to have the 189 and then the wife put her foot down) and back to back, I prefer the 180 Exploder.
On the Vicious, it's gonna be a twinned Chief with a sidecut tweak. It ought to be a tad stiffer, but not like the Exploder...I still think you'll be hard pressed to beat the Exploder for Sierra conditions.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit Man
Sorry to hear about a bummer first experience. I'll stand by for a more favorable review after Sunday.

The Made N AK allow for a huge margin of error in technique so I could just rip and not worry about tips or tails catching. I spent less energy and focus on delicate weight balance and transfer than I normally do in powder and more time saying "how fast can I possibly go?" and "yahhhhhhhh!!!". They are super easy to turn in these conditions.
post #18 of 20
Jim-

Now that you've had a few days on the Made'n AK --

Like them or undecided still? Could you provide a comparison between them and the Explosivs, in terms of handling, floatation, ease of turn initiation, crud/chop, groom, etc, etc? Do you think you would have liked the shorter (179) Made'n more? Or is the longer (189) OK?

Also, which Explosivs do you have? Twin or flat tail?

-Karl
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chupacabra
Jim-

Now that you've had a few days on the Made'n AK --

Like them or undecided still?
I like them. They were silly fun in the powder.

Quote:
Could you provide a comparison between them and the Explosivs, in terms of handling, floatation, ease of turn initiation, crud/chop, groom, etc, etc?
  • Float: Maden
  • Groom: Explosiv
  • Crud/chop: Explosiv but not my a huge margin
  • Ease of turn: Explosiv
  • Carve: Explosiv has pitbull edge hold
  • Handling: both require driver input but I think the Explosiv is pretty easy to handle once you get used to a 95mm waist as an everyday ski and learn how to work the shallow sidecut to make short radius turns; the Maden feel big....duh: they are
Quote:
Do you think you would have liked the shorter (179) Made'n more? Or is the longer (189) OK?
Since I have the 180cm Explosiv I am now glad I have the 189cm Maden for the DEEP powder days. The 179cm would be fine too and more playful.

Tangentiallly, for overkill I'll probably add a K2 Seth Vicious (newer Seth Pistol: wider waist, stiffer tail, twin tip) and I'm unsure what length to get.

Quote:
Also, which Explosivs do you have? Twin or flat tail?

-Karl
04-05 Explosiv flat tail: solid maroon with the yoga/buddha silhouette on the fore part of the ski

Karl,

Next big dump we get you can try 'em at Rose or other Tahoe area if your boots will fit my binding setup.
post #20 of 20
Thanks for the info, Jim!

-Karl
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Atomic Pimp Daddy vs K2 Made'n AK