or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Goggles over the glasses
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Goggles over the glasses

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
I can't wear contact lenses (vesovagal response when something touches my eye) so for the last 15 years or so, I've been wearing goggles over my glasses. When I was a young racer I finally found a pair of goggles that fit PERFECTLY over my glasses - a pair of Swans that, 10 years later, I'm still wearing. However these things are old and scratched and there's no way I can get replacement lenses for them anymore. Since I'm going to be doing some night-training this year, I'll need clear lenses.

Thus, I need to find a new pair of goggles (not too expensive) that will fit over my glasses. I really don't have any interest in prescription goggles, because I don't want to be blind when I take off my goggles. Nor am I particularly interested in most of the special "over the glasses" goggles that are extra-bulky and will therefore a) look stupid and b) probably not fit well in my helmet.

Does anybody have any recommendations? I'm looking for something new, with different-colored replacement lenses available, and isn't twice the width of my face.

Thanks!
post #2 of 26
I know they're expensive, but I've found my Oakley Wisdoms fit fine over my glasses, and of excellent quality all round. Perhaps you can find some in a sale? Or go to a shop and just try on different goggles - some of the bigger ones may fit over as well (perhaps the Smith Triad?).

R
post #3 of 26
I used to wear my glasses under my Oakley Wisdom goggles. the only complaint I had was a slight glare reflection on the inside of the goggle lense from my glasse lense. very minor but there.

fogging was only occasionaly an issue but only fogging of my glasses not the goggles. Try some anti fog wax commonly used by paintballers. it looks like a crayon, you put a little on the lenses of your glasses then buff clean. Works absolutely amazing.

Mark
post #4 of 26
There is usually 1 to 2 options available from most google manufacturers, however, not all shops carry over the glass models and if they do, very limited number. Both Scott and Smith have models at reasonable prices. Best to sample before buying as pending the geometry of your glasses, some provide better fit and ease of taking on and off.
post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 
Brit & Marmot- Thank you, I will definitely check out the Oakley Wisdoms.

grskier- I appreciate your response, however I'm still probably not going to bother with the models that are specifically made for going over the glasses, as they tend to be wide and bulgy.
post #6 of 26
I hated..hated HATED. having to wear glasses when I skied. I had contacts for years then had Lasik done.
post #7 of 26

I would also suggest to check out the option of Sunglasses - Goggles Traverse. btw, I ski with prescription goggles and in my pocket, there are my glasses. check out this site with verity of options and dealers: http://www.rx-ski-goggles.com/

post #8 of 26

Smith, Uvex and Bolle all make OTG goggles.  Go to a shop that sells ski goggles and take your helmet with you to see how they fit.  If you use the small very light wire titanium frames, some non-OTG goggles may also work.  Here's a pretty good list of OTG goggles, but it may not be complete.  http://www.vision3k.com/otg-ski-goggles.asp

post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowboarderRx View Post

I would also suggest to check out the option of Sunglasses - Goggles Traverse. btw, I ski with prescription goggles and in my pocket, there are my glasses. check out this site with verity of options and dealers: http://www.rx-ski-goggles.com/


SnowboarderRx., my wife has almost stopped skiing because of fogging and she can't see.  Bought her some Smith Turbo's but didn't help.  Want to find her something so she can enjoy herself again, she's a pretty good skier and doesn't want to quit.  Do you use them? Can I get them Rx made in the Smith turbo goggles she has, they were $90 bucks, need a flat light lense as we don't see a lot of sunshine up here.  If we had more sun she would be happy and just wear her Rx sunglasses but such is not the case.
 

post #10 of 26
I tried on the Scott Heli OTG goggles the other day and did not find them particularly bulky.
post #11 of 26

I wear the Smith Knowledge goggles with the sensor mirror lens over my glasses (non turbo version).  I wouldn't call them small/sleek, but they don't fog up as much as some other brands I've tried, and I love the sensor mirror lens (as do many others on this forum).

 

STE

post #12 of 26

Nice work in dragging up a 6 year old thread to plug your product.  cool.gif

 

I wear glasses everyday and ski often here in the Mountain West.  I dealt with fogging with Briko goggles that I liked otherwise.  We had visitors out and I was short in spare goggles for everyone so I just picked up a pair of Smith I/O goggles at a local shop.  Two seasons and absolutely no fogging.   I guess if you look like a flashback to the 80s with billboard size specs these may not work that well but my glasses fit in the I/Os fine, even though they aren't glasses specific.

post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonlands View Post

Nice work in dragging up a 6 year old thread to plug your product.  cool.gif

 

I wear glasses everyday and ski often here in the Mountain West.  I dealt with fogging with Briko goggles that I liked otherwise.  We had visitors out and I was short in spare goggles for everyone so I just picked up a pair of Smith I/O goggles at a local shop.  Two seasons and absolutely no fogging.   I guess if you look like a flashback to the 80s with billboard size specs these may not work that well but my glasses fit in the I/Os fine, even though they aren't glasses specific.


$165.eek.gif

Let me know when they go on sale at 75% off.

post #14 of 26

I use the Smith Knowledge Turbo. Pretty happy with it,  I have very little problem with fogging, though I can hear the fan sometimes.

post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

$165.eek.gif

Let me know when they go on sale at 75% off.



I'm a "you get what you pay for" guy.  I aim for quality, no-nonsense stuff and it tends to pay off by lasting and still being well regarded many years down the road.  Get it on sale, all the better. 

post #16 of 26

I use the Smith Prophecy Turbo Fan with the ODS2 insert.

 

I wiped the rx lenses down with FogTech, and I hardly ever have to use the turbo fan.

 

I used to use the Smith Knowledge but the frame was too huge for my face.

post #17 of 26

Spknmike-

 

Are you still liking the ODS insert? I had some bad fogging problems with the Knowledge OTG Turbo Fan over glasses. Not with glasses alone or goggles alone (except for one day when I put my goggles over a facemask and the condensation froze- d'oh!) The glasses fog no matter what I do- Body heat regulation, cat crap, etc. Thinking of getting the ODS insert for the TurboFans. According to Smith, because they sit against the goggle lens instead of closer to the eyes they do not fog with the TurboFan. I need to do something...

post #18 of 26

Smith is probably correct, to a point. I noticed most of my fogging issues, when I had the Knowledge OTG frame (non-turbo) and eyeglasses underneath, started from my eyebrows.

 

The ODS insert is kind of clunky, you might want to see it in person before you decide it's right for you. (ODS2 is a bit different design, newer model)

 

I've got probably 15 or 20 days on the Prophecy Turbo and ODS2 combination. Mix of days from 0F to 35F. I've had a little bit of fogging, but nothing the fan on high couldn't handle.

 

Try getting some FogTech and painting it on your lenses in the morning. It works for a couple days, and stops the fog on the Rx lenses better than Smith's No Fog Cloth or Cat crap. Some days with the FogTech stuff applied, I never run the fan. I'd think the FogTech + Turbo Fan combo should work for just about anyone, except the heaviest of "foggers".

post #19 of 26

Thanks. I'll give it a try. I'll talk to Smith about the ODS...

post #20 of 26

My wife almost gave up skiing because of fogging.  She has the turbo smith goggles and stil her glasses would fog so bad.  I have bought probably 12 different anti fog solutions etc. and none worked. 

 

Last week bought two more and found one that works great on her glasses-she can see again.

 

McNett, Op Drops, anti fog and lense cleaner. McNett Corp. 1411 Meador Ave. Bellingham Wash. 98229, www.mcnett.com

 

Folloed directions and works perfect.

post #21 of 26

Thanks for the tip on the Op Drops -- I'll have to check them out and compare to FogTech. $6 on Amazon Prime, not bad..

post #22 of 26

I'm also looking into getting some contacts before ESA. Used to wear for many years then stopped because of the solutions. Going to maybe give the dailies a try and wear just for skiing.

post #23 of 26

When I wore glasses I loved my Smith's with the fan. Nothing else was close for me.

post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by keniski View Post

I'm also looking into getting some contacts before ESA. Used to wear for many years then stopped because of the solutions. Going to maybe give the dailies a try and wear just for skiing.



I've been skiing with daily disposable contacts for about the last 6 years and love them. When you go for a fitting tell the doc that you only wear them for skiing and to please try the cheapest ones that will fit. Those should only cost 30-40 for a 45 day supply.

 

My other tips are 1) carry a small bottle of rewetting drops if your contacts feel dry from cold air 2) carry an extra set in your pocket just in case something happens and you lose one or two.

post #25 of 26

That's my plan. Prob just some normal saline drops and an extra pair in my pocket. Had some allergy issues in the past w solutions, which is why I stopped wearing in the first place. Funny astigmatism prescription makes it a little tough to fit but I am hopeful to get something done by ESA. Prob a better solution than an Rx insert if I can get fit.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschick View Post

I've been skiing with daily disposable contacts for about the last 6 years and love them. When you go for a fitting tell the doc that you only wear them for skiing and to please try the cheapest ones that will fit. Those should only cost 30-40 for a 45 day supply.

 

My other tips are 1) carry a small bottle of rewetting drops if your contacts feel dry from cold air 2) carry an extra set in your pocket just in case something happens and you lose one or two.

post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by spknmike View Post

I use the Smith Prophecy Turbo Fan with the ODS2 insert.

 

I wiped the rx lenses down with FogTech, and I hardly ever have to use the turbo fan.

 

I used to use the Smith Knowledge but the frame was too huge for my face.



Sounds like my exact setup.  Rarely have to put the fan on..plus it is loud and annoying while on a ski lift..haha..

 

Funny thing is, I didn't know they were OTG specific goggles.  I was just trying/looking for goggles, and they fit well over glasses...win-win!

 

Just wipe some cat crap on the glasses and goggles...never really have fogging issues unless it is kind of wet out.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Goggles over the glasses