or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where to Ski in the Poconos

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I am planning a mid-week ski / business trip for 5 of us. We will be travelling from NJ and want to ski and work 2 days in the Pocosnos. I am looking for advice on which resorts have good skiing for Intermediate to low experts skiers. Also, reco's on places to stay that are not only convenient to the resort but offer good meeting facilities. It doesn't have to be a hotel. Could be a couple condo's on the slopes as a reco.

Please help. We are planning for the end of January so time is of the essence.

Thanks.
post #2 of 8
Jack Frost, Big Boulder, and Camelback are all fairly close to each other, and there is a place right off of the turnpike which used to be called the Hershey Resort and Conference Center. I don't know what it is called now due to the fact that I left the area in the mid 80's.

Montage is right in the town of Scranton and probably has a lot of facilities that would fit your need.

The best skiing in the area is Elk Mountain, but there are NO facilities around for meeting!

: : :
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullr
Jack Frost, Big Boulder, and Camelback are all fairly close to each other, and there is a place right off of the turnpike which used to be called the Hershey Resort and Conference Center. I don't know what it is called now due to the fact that I left the area in the mid 80's.

: : :
I had my Prom at the Hershey Resort :embarrased: I forget wehat its called now, but you have Frost/Boulder and Camelback all w/in 1/2 hour from there.

Split Rock is also a huge conference option, infact they do a Ski trade show there.
post #4 of 8
Oh! I forgot all about Split Rock!! Cool little pub right on the lake I think it was called Close Quarters. Is it still there?

I thought I heard that Hugh Hefner bought it one time and it was called the Playboy club, or something like that.
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenValleySkier
I am planning a mid-week ski / business trip for 5 of us. We will be travelling from NJ and want to ski and work 2 days in the Pocosnos. I am looking for advice on which resorts have good skiing for Intermediate to low experts skiers. Also, reco's on places to stay that are not only convenient to the resort but offer good meeting facilities. It doesn't have to be a hotel. Could be a couple condo's on the slopes as a reco.

Please help. We are planning for the end of January so time is of the essence.

Thanks.
Say no more. coming from Jersey, the closest and most convenient area is Shawnee Mountain. - www.shawneemt.com. If you are looking for a condo I recommend the Shawnee Village or Northslope condominiums. They are right across the street from the Mountain plus you'll save on lift tickets if you stayed there. check out Shawnee's site and click on lodging.
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Ridge Racer
Say no more. coming from Jersey, the closest and most convenient area is Shawnee Mountain. - www.shawneemt.com. If you are looking for a condo I recommend the Shawnee Village or Northslope condominiums. They are right across the street from the Mountain plus you'll save on lift tickets if you stayed there. check out Shawnee's site and click on lodging.

And my wedding was at Shawnee

We can also talk about the Conference Center at Camelback, 10 yr High School reunion.

Oh, and I forgot my 20 year reunion was at Split Rock.


Was all of that too much information?
post #7 of 8
Shawnee is a nice option...Pretty good skiing as far as the poconos go- I grew up right about a 1/8 of a mile away
post #8 of 8
I'll throw one more in the mix: The Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel, in downtown Scranton. It's a converted railroad station from a past era. The place can't be beat for atmosphere, -- there's a quiet martini and cigar bar, and a second louder bar with music -- and downtown Scranton is being re-discovered. There are several cool watering holes and restaurants within two or three blocks walk.

What it's near: Montage is 15 minutes away, but as of this weekend I heard they are not yet open. Jack Frost/Big Boulder, Camelback and Elk are all within 45 mins to one hour drive.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel