New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PSIman - Page 3

post #61 of 82
how is it he can keep wait on the outside ski without shortening the inside?
post #62 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibetan Tree Frog
how is it he can keep wait on the outside ski without shortening the inside?
Flow of Center of Mass?
post #63 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barnes/Colorado
I hope you all realize that PSIMAN is not my creation. He's a model created by the Kneissl ski company early in the new "shaped-ski" days, to promote their "Ergo" model. He had disappeared for a long time, until I rediscovered him on some old video.
Sorry, Bob, but you are completely wrong.
The model you call PSIMAN is a creation of Helmut Gottschlich from Vienna, Austria, together with another Austrian Hans Zehetmayer.
(I don´t know if it´s patented, though.)
It´s called Wiener Skimodell and there are more variations.
Those two Austrians have been presenting them for at least 8 years (I suppose even longer) at various occasions in the Alps.
They went into several books and some videos.
I wrote the first Czech short shaped-ski practical guide back in 1997-98 where we also - officially - used the Wiener Skimodell with comments.
I could watch the Gottschlich-presentation at least 15 times during the last 7 years.
They never "disappeared" but have been used extensively.
It´s a surprise for me that there is such a poor transfer between the Old and New Worlds and that America/Canada now "rediscovers" something which is well-known by many Europeans.
Please don´t take the previous sentence as my looking down upon you just because of this little "brass soldier".
The deep insight some people here have, the quality of (some) discussions here and the amount of info available are much more important than who knew the little bas*ard earlier.
post #64 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkracer
Sorry, Bob, but you are completely wrong.
The model you call PSIMAN is a creation of Helmut Gottschlich from Vienna, Austria, together with another Austrian Hans Zehetmayer.
(I don´t know if it´s patented, though.)
It´s called Wiener Skimodell and there are more variations.
Those two Austrians have been presenting them for at least 8 years (I suppose even longer) at various occasions in the Alps.
They went into several books and some videos.
I wrote the first Czech short shaped-ski practical guide back in 1997-98 where we also - officially - used the Wiener Skimodell with comments.
I could watch the Gottschlich-presentation at least 15 times during the last 7 years.
They never "disappeared" but have been used extensively.
It´s a surprise for me that there is such a poor transfer between the Old and New Worlds and that America/Canada now "rediscovers" something which is well-known by many Europeans.
Please don´t take the previous sentence as my looking down upon you just because of this little "brass soldier".
The deep insight some people here have, the quality of (some) discussions here and the amount of info available are much more important than who knew the little bas*ard earlier.
Very cool! Is any of this previous insight available on-line? Of course, I'm "language challenged", so it would have to be in English for me to really understand it!
post #65 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibetan Tree Frog
how is it he can keep wait on the outside ski without shortening the inside?
As with a biski, you don't need to shorten the inside ski. The whole device (PSIMan) tips. As PSIMan turns, centrifigal forces build up and are resisted by the centripetal forces generated by the skis. Since PSIMan's CM is above the skis, the results in a tipping force. (I'd need to draw vector diagrams to show it.) Anyway, when the tipping forces reaches a critical point the hinges allow PSIMan to tip, some might say flop, towards the new turn. (The speed of this tipping is influenced by the rate of turning, speed, radius of the turn, slope of the run, length of PSIMan's "legs" and weight of PSIMan.) As PSIMan's CM shifts it results in the skis flattening and transitioning to the new egdes. Once in the new turn, the whole process repeats.

We can develop equations that will tell you exactly when PSIMan will move to the next turn. (Pssst, don't tell PhysicsMan. I can see his next post including equations, diagrams, and a full expanation including relativity effects. ) (Don't shoot Tom-PM, it just that old scientist-engineer thing. Scientists describe things down to a gnat's whisker looking for all the nuances. Engineers tend to be impatient; they grasp the ideas and concepts, throw a factor of safety of 2 on to it, and then start mass production. T2)

In a biski the skiier can actively start the CM shift or delay the shift from happening using the hand held outriggers. The "auto tipping" that PSIMan exhibits can happen and can be a problem if you are using fixed outriggers. This can be dangerous if the biski gets away. The dang things seak the fall line, bouncing from side to side, and pick up speed. That is why if a biski is using fixed outriggers it always must be tethered. Ask any adaptive instructor and they will have at least one tale of this happening.
post #66 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh
Very cool! Is any of this previous insight available on-line? Of course, I'm "language challenged", so it would have to be in English for me to really understand it!
I´m not sure otherwise I would have presented a link.
I´ll try to find out through a big German/Austrian/Swiss forum I´m involved in.

http://www.skilauf.com/?cat=19
there´s the program of a ski seminar in Sept 2004 where the presentation is mentioned:
"Prof. Hans Zehetmayer / Mag. Helmut Gottschlich: Die Wiener Skimodelle"
also:
Helmut Gottschlich / Hans Zehetmayer
Neues aus der Welt der Skimodelle


A text with some very poor photo:
http://www.kunstpiste.com/archive.ph...39&verfassen=1
(the webmaster is a good friend of mine, I´ll try to ask for a better quality)

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache...imodelle&hl=cs:
Videoproduktion Fritz Friedrich: 40 Videos über Skigebiete
- Die Wiener Skimodelle mit H. Gottschlich und H. Zehetmayer
- Skifreizeit mit herzkranken Kindern
- 3 Videos zum INTERSKI-Kongress 1999, Beitostolen/Norwegen
post #67 of 82
post #68 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott Gangl
Da gibt´s wirklich interessante Artikel und ich kann Kunstpiste nur empfehlen.
For the rest of the world:
(There are really interesting articles and I can only recommend the website).
The author is a former Austrian worldcupper from Zillertal.
post #69 of 82
Ott

I'm surpised I haven't seen THAT snowboard on the slopes. I predict that there will be a "model" of that one shortly. I wonder where the bindings will be located. :
post #70 of 82
It seems to me that the info on the origins of the PSIMAN has produced little reaction.
Should I ask Gottschlich whether he had patented the Wiener Model?
Bob Barnes, I like your posts.
Is there any concerning this?
post #71 of 82
Hi Checkracer--Happy New Year to you, and everyone else!

Christmas time, you know--so little time. I haven't even had time to read all the posts I'd like, not to mention replying to them. Please don't anyone take my silence personally!

In any case, thank you for the information on the origin of PSIMAN. He feels much better knowing who is real parents are, and where he came from. He's also excited to know that there may be more out there like him in Austria!

I will add that this particular model that we've come to know and love as PSIMAN really was a product of the Kneissl ski company, and his skis really do say "Kneissl" on them. I have no doubt that his biological parent may have been Helmut Gottschlich, as Checkracer says. But his adoptive parents were the Kneissl ski company, as a promotional spokesman for (as I recall) the Ergo ski.

Thanks again, Checkracer.

Best regards,
Bob Barnes
post #72 of 82
Perhaps PSIman and PMTSman are simply misunderstood metrosexuals euros with Internet degrees in marketing.

Wee sweet embryos switched in the deep freeze of Clonesville USA all grow up into Epicski celebrities. They are proving bloody hard to kill off which leads me to believe there origins may be that of Volvo crash test dummies DNA stirred not shaken in an Uncle Unknows test lab.

It appears that 97% of the people cannot discern the 3% difference between these most interesting long lost siblings.
post #73 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barnes/Colorado
Hi Checkracer--Happy New Year to you, and everyone else!
Christmas time, you know--so little time. I haven't even had time to read all the posts I'd like, not to mention replying to them. Please don't anyone take my silence personally!
In any case, thank you for the information on the origin of PSIMAN. He feels much better knowing who is real parents are, and where he came from. He's also excited to know that there may be more out there like him in Austria!
I will add that this particular model that we've come to know and love as PSIMAN really was a product of the Kneissl ski company, and his skis really do say "Kneissl" on them. I have no doubt that his biological parent may have been Helmut Gottschlich, as Checkracer says. But his adoptive parents were the Kneissl ski company, as a promotional spokesman for (as I recall) the Ergo ski.
Thanks again, Checkracer.
Best regards,
Bob Barnes
It´s very nice to hear from you, Bob, and that your skiing kid is okay.
I wish for both of you a prosperous year 2005 and much fun: you on the snow, PSIMAN on the kind of stuff he feels best.
Personally, I don´t care whether there are some "rights" someone may or may not have. Argueing about this skiing dwarf would be ridiculous.
I heard the ever-same Gottschlich presentation too many times to be excited but I´ll try to read all posts here.
I will also try to get some good picture of the Gottschlich kid that appeared in Kuchler´s books and in the short instruction manual on carving I wrote back in 1997.
BTW, Stu Campbell could have it. We met at the WC finals 1998 at Crans Montana and I gave him a copy. There´s a sequence with the Wiener Model.
And, yes, those Austrian/German technocrats seemed never to think about a name for the baby.
Wiener Model - horrible. Sound exactly like Wiener Schnitzel.
You did. How nice of you!
post #74 of 82

PSIman has brothers and/or sisters in Japan

http://edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp/~shimizu/top1.htm
post #75 of 82
New references to the origins of PSIMan.

http://user.phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de/~wastl/Wastl/Schnee/11%20J%F6llenbeck.pdf

Scroll down to page 5 and 6. The document is in German.

Another video again in German. Click on the picture and it should play.

http://www.lehrteam-skialpin.de/beit...eitraege01.htm
post #76 of 82
T*T, one of these days you'll have to post about biskis in pow.
post #77 of 82
I've only seen it in light powder and the skier was excellent. All we saw was a plume of powder 30 feet long and right at the front you could just make out the biski and the skier. It was a sight to see as he snaked down the hill. Everyone was impressed.

I'd love to see how well someone does in heavy western powder in the equipment. Any western skiers out there care to comment? Better yet, got any pictures.
post #78 of 82
The U.S. Disabled Team has been training at Arapahoe Basin for a week or so. It is truly amazing to watch those guys and gals ski/ride the steeps, crud, ice, powder (!), bumps, and everything else that Arapahoe Basin throws at them in the spring. They absolutely rip! Unfortunately, I've been so impressed watching that I've failed to pull out my video camera. I'll try to get some video and pictures, if they're still here next week.

Best regards,
Bob
post #79 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barnes/Colorado View Post
The U.S. Disabled Team has been training at Arapahoe Basin for a week or so. It is truly amazing to watch those guys and gals ski/ride the steeps, crud, ice, powder (!), bumps, and everything else that Arapahoe Basin throws at them in the spring. They absolutely rip! Unfortunately, I've been so impressed watching that I've failed to pull out my video camera. I'll try to get some video and pictures, if they're still here next week.

Best regards,
Bob
They are astounding athletes, and even more amazing people. One of them is my patient and friend Hannah Pennington, who is unfortunately not training with the team right now, having just undergone major hip surgery a week ago. To give you an idea of what these people are like, her pre-surgical regimen, after competing all season, included climbing (and summitting) Kilimanjaro!
http://ussa.smugmug.com/keyword/penn...40159305_xnhmV
post #80 of 82
PSIMan's younger brother.



Note the tracks and how clean they are.
post #81 of 82

PSIman on STEROIDS!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DNWh9D...eature=related


The ending is AWESOME!

post #82 of 82
All in favor starting an EpicSki/ESA project like this, say Aye!.

(We can just duke out our technique differences in the proving ground of unbiased robots! )

.ma
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Instruction & Coaching