New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Warning for pet owners

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
I have to break my silence since I almost lost my male kitty, Seabiscuit (aka Mr. Biscuit) in a strange accident tonight.

We had just gotten back from shopping, and put the plastic shopping bags on the dining table. We went upstairs for a minute to change.....and heard a horrible noise! Plastic bag and banging!

We got downstairs as fast as we could, and I knew something was not right. We saw him in a blur behind the couch, and we could not See him by the time we got there. There was no sound. We upturned the couch in a hurry and there was Mr. Biscuit with the shopping bag with toys in it tightly wound around his neck!:

I got the bag off of him and tried to console him. He was scared to death. He was soaking wet with pee, ripped one of his rear toenails and was bleeding everywhere. His breath was ragged.

We cleaned him up, and he's now under the bed and won't come out. I think he'll be ok.

Had we not been home to take the bag off, we would have had one stiff kitty to find later (maybe, as he was wedged up under the sofa pretty good, and it would have been the LAST place I would've looked!)

Please don't leave shopping bags lying about if there is the slightest chance your pet could get it around his neck. What a horrible holiday it would be if we lost our friend and companion, Seabiscuit.

Thanks.
post #2 of 24
What a tramatic thing. I have a cat and a dog and they are so much a part of our family.

Good advice Bonnie, Thanks!
post #3 of 24
Wow -- so glad you caught the situation in time. We lost our dog a couple of months ago after he got into the trash and ate a corncob, which got stuck and obstructed his bowel. Sometimes we forget about those everyday dangers lurking in our kitchen. (We didn't really forget about the trash -- we even bought one of those tall, expensive cans you have to step on, and the dog figured out how to work it.)
post #4 of 24
Mr Biscuit has ventured into the living room and stared at the offending couch---but as yet, has not actually gone anywhere near it. The ripped claw fell off, appears not to be much of an issue with him tho. He helped me measure shelves in a the ski closet later on this afternoon so I guess he is getting back to normal.

Bonni worked this AM, so I got the job of doing a thorough de-peeing under, around and on the back side of the couch, wall, under the baseboard and whereever else I could guess he let fly! (Daughter used to work in a pet store and sent me out to get a particular product she said works well) So far seems she was right.
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_j
Mr Biscuit has ventured into the living room and stared at the offending couch---but as yet, has not actually gone anywhere near it. The ripped claw fell off, appears not to be much of an issue with him tho. He helped me measure shelves in a the ski closet later on this afternoon so I guess he is getting back to normal.

Bonni worked this AM, so I got the job of doing a thorough de-peeing under, around and on the back side of the couch, wall, under the baseboard and whereever else I could guess he let fly! (Daughter used to work in a pet store and sent me out to get a particular product she said works well) So far seems she was right.
Glad the kitty is OK. If you have a blacklight around, you can search out the pee stains with that.
post #6 of 24
Thread Starter 
I'm sorry about your dog, Segbrown. A corncob! Who'd a thunk it? I'll pass that tip on to my daughter, who just adopted a dog from the shelter last week.

I'm wondering what other things are dangerous for our pets that we don't think about as being dangerous?
post #7 of 24
chocolate is poisonous for Dogs.
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan
chocolate is poisonous for Dogs.
....as is many house plants for cats.
post #9 of 24
Its a good thing that wooden spoons accidently left on the kitchen counter are not poisonous, or we would have two very dead dogs, they have consumed at least a dozen and that is not an exageration!
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodro
Its a good thing that wooden spoons accidently left on the kitchen counter are not poisonous, or we would have two very dead dogs, they have consumed at least a dozen and that is not an exageration!
What kind of house dog reaches the kitchen counter? : : :
post #11 of 24
Thanks Bonni.
post #12 of 24
Friend of mine's dog ate the entire shell of a lobster out of the trash and had to have it surgically removed! Believe it or not the dog then did the same thing again!
post #13 of 24
With the holidays approaching, watch tinsel with small animals, particularly cats. The cats love to play with it as it hangs and sometimes try to eat it and choke on it. Pointsettias (sp?) are very poisonous for cats as well.
post #14 of 24
My niece has a dog named Buckshot because he at buckshot when he was a baby. I know they took him to the vet, but I don't remember where it went from there, it was several years ago.
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayl1964
What kind of house dog reaches the kitchen counter? : : :
Oh, they're only 50 lbs. Just very dexterous.
post #16 of 24
A buddy's 100 lb Lab (yes, a BIG lab) found a bag of dog food in the basement ... ate and processed the whole thing over the course of a day.

What a mess.
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayl1964
What kind of house dog reaches the kitchen counter? : : :
Ours was an Irish Setter. He could reach the front of the counter while on all fours, and nothing was safe when he was on his hind legs!
post #18 of 24
This one is not widely known by casual dog owners, but ONIONS ARE TOXIC TO DOGS. Feed your dog nothing with onion in it, even as a minor ingredient.

Also, not the first time I've heard about a corn cob tragedy. And those raw hide chew toys can be bad also; swell up in the stomach and can cause obstructions.

Of course, everyone knows about chicken bones, but what isn't as widely known is that only cooked chicken bones present serious danger. Uncooked chicken bones don't splinter like cooked ones do. Raw poultry can be fed, bones and all to your dog, and many believe this to be part of a much healtier diet for dogs. It's known as the BARF diet, and consists of raw bones, meats, organ meats and pureed raw vegetables (to minic the contents of a pray animals stomach)

And ditto what Dchan said about chocolate, it can be deadly to dogs.

And for a wierd one; unplug your electric paper shredders. Know of a dog that got his tongue stuck in one and it killed him. Dogs perspire via their tongue, without it they can't survive.
post #19 of 24
: I used to have german shepherds & they regularly would attack any pot of vegetable soup I left to cool on the stove.... I'm sure they should have had burnt tongues at least one of the episodes - because I turned it off & went for a run & came home to empty pot on floor.... & no sign of soup....

BUT I ALWAYS put onions in soup.... what does it do to them & does the variety matter? ie garlic is same family - same problem? shallots? spring onion? salad onion? Leek?
post #20 of 24
Grapes and raisins are also toxic to canines, if I'm not mistaken most of the food items toxic to dogs cause liver failure. There is a list online of toxic items to animals, if I can find it I will post it.
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by disski
: BUT I ALWAYS put onions in soup.... what does it do to them & does the variety matter? ie garlic is same family - same problem? shallots? spring onion? salad onion? Leek?
Here Disski: http://www.jlhweb.net/BOSS/onions.html

As to what varieties it applies to, I would suggest not to take chances with any variety. I know personally of a dog that died from foraging on the greens of wild onions.

And as to garlic; as far as we know it's OK. There are some who debate this, but the general consensus is that its fine. It's even used as a suppliment in dog food and nutritional additives.
post #22 of 24
skier j

What is the cat pee remover stuff? I have two furry felines and it just might come in handy.

Thanks,
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan
chocolate is poisonous for Dogs.
So are grapes!
post #24 of 24
My SO is always warning me not to leave any plastic bags around so that our Yorkies dont get to them for precisely the reason that you warn.  I will be more careful.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home