Originally Posted by TOLOCOMan
Yep, those are the ones. Didn't know they came in such differing dimensions in different lengths. Thanks for the info. Regardless, I still think Billiam would love this years 8000.
As I can't leave well enough alone I remebered that lineage of the Bigs was discussed over on Powder: I think this post summerizes it nicely
" I think I have most of the history of the BIG straight by now.
1. The flame-tip ski in the ebay link above is the 1999-2000 4x4 BIG model (it has orange "4x4" letters on the tail).
2. The flame-tip 2000-2001 4x4 BIG model has black "4x4" letters on the tail, and apparently has same construction and dimensions as previous year.
3. The orange tip 2001-2002 Intuitiv BIG is still same construction and dimensions as previous year's 4x4 BIG. "Intuitiv" is in the name, but no cap stuff yet---still 100% sidewall. These sell cheap nowadays because the graphics are not popular.
4. The white 2002-2003 Intuitiv BIG finally changed into a completely different ski with different dimensions and cap/sidewall hybrid construction. This is same ski as "Inspired by Nobis", just different graphics. In my opinion, this turned out to be a very disappointing, watered-down version.
5. The 2003-2004 Intuitiv BIG is same as previous year
6.1999-2000 Bigs available in Arno Adam promodel design (yellowish surfboard with flower+chameleon design) and "Limited edition" design (White/wood stripes) Same dimensions/costruction as the flamed one. Note that dimesions on all these designs vary with the lenght of the ski (194:115-85-???, 188: 112-80-???, 178: 110-78-???).
7. In 2000-2002 there was a promodel in the 194 flamedesign out as well. Same dimensions as the regular model but different flex(softer tip), different (harder) sole and a little twintip instead of the swallowtail. Supposedly only 40 pairs available of this one but I suspect this was a marketing hoax by the shops in Chamonix.
8. Supernobis/InBig Prorider out in 194 lenght for 2002-2004. Ski more like the old bigs with full on sandwich construction . Very bomber. New model of this ski is supposed to come out before christmas (maybe).
me again : if the 8000 is pretty much the previous years Inspired or Big ( same thing) I liked them in a demo. Not as burly as the previous full side wall 'Big" but a really fun ski with no speed limit. Also no longer all white top sheet which I can't see as an advantage after a spill on a powder day.