EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Stratton Mtn. doesn't keep their word!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stratton Mtn. doesn't keep their word!!!!

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
: Hello-
Just wanted to let everyone know out there that Stratton Mountain, VT doesn't keep their word on anything that they advertise. You see, back in the summer they advertised on their website that they were offering a college season pass to 18-64 yrs. old men and women for $299. But when called to take them up on their offer, they told me that it was a "mistake" and that I would have to pay over $1000.00 to get my season pass. They then changed the advertisement on the website to accomadate 18-25 year olds and screwed everyone that they promised it to.
My friend actually took this situation to the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and filed a complaint. Still though, they did not budge on their previous advertised offer. What a ridiculous company, they would rather lose a customer than make a difference and honor their own mistake. What a ***** company. Anyway if anbody else has heard about this then please submit a complaint to BBB so that we can show them a lesson.
MZ
Big corporations don't care about people.
post #2 of 25
Stratton is for gapers and snowboarders...I wouldn't pay $5 bucks for a season's pass...If I paid for a seasons pass, I'd be compelled to ski there. : Seems like an honest mistake to me.

powsniffr
__________________
'know before you go"
post #3 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcoll
Stratton is for gapers and snowboarders...I wouldn't pay $5 bucks for a season's pass...If I paid for a seasons pass, I'd be compelled to ski there. : Seems like an honest mistake to me.

powsniffr
__________________
'know before you go"
Word.

So many better options close by, for those that do not live/die by the pipe/park.
post #4 of 25
What do you like better than Stratton that is "close" skiingman? by the way, a genuine question, not a bait.
post #5 of 25
balance, given your distasteful opinion and view of stratton and their big corporate ski machine way of doing business, what made you want to get a season pass there to begin with?

i'm the last person to side with stratton on anything, i really dislike their model for doing things (hey, at least it keeps people who like that sorta experience out of my powder stashes ), but that seems like a legitment mistake. i can't imagine any ski area offering a season pass to middle aged people just because they are taking college courses. that could seriously put a ski area out of business from the substantial loss in revenue. college passes are meant for kids that couldn't otherwise afford to ski at all, not for people with jobs that are keeping the industry alive by putting up the big bucks to pay the lame insurance premiums that areas are being gouged with.
post #6 of 25
Sounds like a mistake was made somewhere in the advertising process. I assume you are so perfect that you never made a mistake so someone would say that you didn't keep your word in anything you ever did. To quote one of my favorite movies...."Lighten up, Francis"
post #7 of 25
I concurr with the others. The Website person typed a wrong key probably. I don't think they aren't keeping their word when it wasn't their word to begin with. However, I like Strat but their season pass prices are totally absured.
post #8 of 25
It was an honest mistake on their part, plus what person from 18-64 would buy a COLLEGE PASS. Usually you aren't in school that long. Think about it this way, if you are buying something in a high end store that is mismarked do they give you the lower price, usually no. Same thing here.
post #9 of 25
Just to play devil's advocate...I once got a smoking (under $100) on a round trip from Burlington to Denver because the airline made a short lived (it was posted for less than one hour) mistake on their website. They had to honor the price regardless of who made the mistake...and yes...it was a great week of skiing!
post #10 of 25
are you a full time college student? if so they should honor the agreement.
post #11 of 25
It's pretty well established that an ad, in the language of contractual law, is not an "offer," but an invitation to deal. The original poster says:

Quote:
when called to take them up on their offer, they told me that it was a "mistake"
That's the point at which a contract, or a completed sale, might occur or not occur. It didn't: no sale, no contract.

There's a whole 'nother area of misleading advertising that could come into play ... but if it was an honest mistake and they fixed it, I don't think that's likely to lead anywhere.
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon
What do you like better than Stratton that is "close" skiingman? by the way, a genuine question, not a bait.
Magic mountain. The only worthwhile skiing in S. Vermont, IMHO.
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigndude
Think about it this way, if you are buying something in a high end store that is mismarked do they give you the lower price, usually no.
They do in this country! It's the law. If a thing is advertised at a price, then it must be sold at that price. Item in shop marked at a price, then that's its price. Interestingly, maybe because of this law, not many mistakes are made!!!!! Bait and Switch is an absolute no-no. I was very surprised to see that it appeared to be rife in the US.

The scanning code of practice in supermarkets has it that if they scan an item and the price is more than what was marked on the shelf, they should give you the item for free. Again, this seems to result in more correlation between item prices on shelves and on the checkout tallying.
post #14 of 25
There are many times that something is marked lower then what it really is. Thats why they usually fix it right away, and write that it was a mistake. They usually don't have to honor it in this type of situation.
Either way in response to the original post, if you were expecting the pass and your not a college student that was dumb to think that it would happen. If you are a college student then there is no reason why you should not get it. And if you look at what you have to have to qualify you must be a FULL time student. Meaning most people over that age won't ever get the pass. Even if it was advertised wrong you would need lots of proof from the college just to get the pass.
post #15 of 25
Thread Starter 

Reaction

Listen, I am not just starting all of this to start an argument. I am writing it to let some people that care know what it is happening out there in the "big corporate" ski industry now days. You see this is not just a Stratton season pass. I left out the part that it actually is a combo pass between Okemo and Stratton. And now Okemo is going to be taking a hit as well in ticket sales/lodging/food/etc..., all because of Intrawest/Stratton. I am justing putting it out there.

In response to a few members that don't seem happy with what I am writing, i would like to say:

To sjcoll : Sorry about the fact that you hate Stratton. But it really wasn't an honest mistake.

To riverc0il : I never had a distasteful opinion about Stratton until this situation came about. As for it being a legitimate mistake, I doubt it. And if you feel that it is insane for a mountain to offer a college pass to 18-64 year olds, then explain to me how Okemo still offers a combo pass with themselves and Mt. Sunapee, NH? And they have been doing it for years now and they are still in business, and in fact growing bigger than ever.

To Phil Pugliese : Good "Stripes" movie reference, tool bag! By the way, if I made a mistake (which actually happened once) I would live up to my word and take the responsibility that came from it.

To PA Ridge Racer : Good to hear that you like Stratton, but I disagree that it could of been a typo, I mean how do you mistype "25" instead of "64"?

To sjjohnston : Sorry man but you just went to deep, you lost me, Good effort though.

To bigndude : Not a mistake. And just because other places get a way with it doesn't make it right.

Thanks to you all for keeping this topic real. :
post #16 of 25

keepin' it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by balance
Thanks to you all for keeping this topic real. :
Dude, you're a regular Erin Brockovich...as far as keepin it real...real skiers ski real mountains, and I'm not talking about Stratton, Okemo, or Sunapee. Good luck doing battle against the "Corporate Giants"...ever attacked a windmill? :

powsniffr
_____________________________________
"skiing is free...it's the lifts that cost money"
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcoll
...ever attacked a windmill?
lol
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by glademaster
Magic mountain. The only worthwhile skiing in S. Vermont, IMHO.
Only on a good snow year.
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon
What do you like better than Stratton that is "close" skiingman? by the way, a genuine question, not a bait.
Killington, for one.

(I'm 20, so what is "close by" to me may not be the same to you)

If we are talking "close" then I'd have to hit up Bromley or Magic.
post #20 of 25
I heard Magic was barely open last year due to No Snow since they have no snowmaking. Any truth to that rumor?

It doesn't sound like the Best place to go in Southern Vermont, if they're only open for 2 weeks a year.
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance
<snip>.... As for it being a legitimate mistake, I doubt it...
Here's the only thing I don't understand....why on earth do you think Stratton would do this on purpose?

I mean, the price differential is FAR too great for them to think they could 'lure' people in for $299 and then get them to pay over $1000 instead; I mean, for a bait and switch to work, wouldn't it have to be SOMEWHERE in the ballpark? This is over 3x as much, I just don't see a critical mass of people calling up for the $299 ticket and then happily forking over $1000 - so, how is Stratton going to sell tickets this way? They aren't, so there's no logical reason for them to try it.

In fact, making a mistake like this, they KNOW there are some people who aren't going to let it drop and are going to whine & complain, so aside from NOT conning people into forking over extra $ for the pass, now they have the attacks from unhappy people.

Yeah, I can't even see your dumbest marketing guy coming up with this one on purpose.

On the other hand, balance, let me say I DO feel your pain. Sucks to think that you're going to get a good deal, and then it (apparently) gets pulled out from under you! Could they have given it to you at $299 anyway? Some companies would, some won't, it's debatable what the better decision is - they'd get your good will if they did it - but, how many other people would they then have to honor the deal for as well - potentially even people who NEVER saw the flawed add, just got the info word of mouth. A class act company MIGHT have honored it; just your average ordinary corporation, they just weigh the obvious costs and not bother.

Happy Skiing.

Kristine
post #22 of 25
Yes: I don't think it's a "bait and switch," for the reason B40 says. If anything, making people think they can get a pass for $299 probably makes them less less likely to pay $1,000, because it sounds like so much more.

It also doesn't have a "switch." The classic bait and switch is something like: "Well, that brand new Corvette we had for $5,000 isn't here right at the moment, but wouldn't you like to take a look at this used Saturn for even less?"
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonni
I heard Magic was barely open last year due to No Snow since they have no snowmaking. Any truth to that rumor?

It doesn't sound like the Best place to go in Southern Vermont, if they're only open for 2 weeks a year.
completely untrue. magic was 100% during several points of the year, only red line and master were extremely nasty. lower part of twilight and goniff got a little rocky. it certainly wasn't the best i've skied at magic, but they did excellent considering the bad snow year.

magic does have snow making... and 2 weeks? where did you hear that non-sense?
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverc0il
magic does have snow making... and 2 weeks? where did you hear that non-sense?
Probably from someone that either wasn't there at all, or went one day and said "oh no...rocks! my poor skis!" and wussed out on going back. I hear similar stories every year about how bad the snow at Mad River is...
-Garrett
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonni
I heard Magic was barely open last year due to No Snow since they have no snowmaking. Any truth to that rumor?

It doesn't sound like the Best place to go in Southern Vermont, if they're only open for 2 weeks a year.
Where'd you hear that? I didn't hear that. I know of people that skied there quite a bit. While it wasn't the best snow year for them they surely were open more that only a couple weeks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Stratton Mtn. doesn't keep their word!!!!