EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › First Resort Open in east??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Resort Open in east??

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
What is the first resort usually open in the east? I know Tenney Mountain opened I believe Ovtober 4'th last year but there are rumors that they might not open this year.... so what is the first mountain usually open in these parts?
post #2 of 20
Usually Killington (VT) or Woodbury (CT). Last season Belleayre (NY), Woodbury and two Quebec ski areas beat out Killington by opening on 11/9. Bretton Woods (NH) should be in the running this season and Sunday River (ME), Sugarloaf (ME), and Hunter (NY) usually aren't far behind. Tenney (NH) is claiming they plan to open on October 1, but I'm guessing Killington is going to make every effort to open first to further promote the All For One pass.
post #3 of 20
After skiing the glades opening day @ Killington Most years around Oct23-27 you learn opening day in New england is Killington, Tenny is a joke. Just my opinion. Put on your pads.
post #4 of 20
Killington has gone to a top to bottom policy the past few years, where they no longer worry about opening first, but want to have skiing on the whole mountain when they do open. Personally I think this is a much better policy. I'm itching to ski just as much as anyone else, but skiing the human slalom on one run with crappy snow is not worth it in my opinion.

Others may open first, but Killington is really the first ski area to have good skiing consistently.
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhstroup
Killington has gone to a top to bottom policy the past few years, where they no longer worry about opening first, but want to have skiing on the whole mountain when they do open. Personally I think this is a much better policy. I'm itching to ski just as much as anyone else, but skiing the human slalom on one run with crappy snow is not worth it in my opinion.

Others may open first, but Killington is really the first ski area to have good skiing consistently.
You hit the nail on the head. Killington has been the first with any quality skiing, but I think Bretton or Sunday Rive are the only places that could challenge that.
post #6 of 20
Doesn't Killington use Superstar as an opening requirement? I thought that when Superstar was open, they'd open the area, and when Superstar had to close, they'd close the area (needless to say they blow a crap load of snow on the trail).

Tenney beat Killington open last year because of ICS (Infinate Crystal System - year round snow-making), but I thought they ran into some more financial troubles because of their investment into ICS and they lack of customers they brought in.

Hopefully Killy will open early this year, nothing was better than skiing for the first day of the year on my birthday 2 years ago (11/8).
post #7 of 20
Is Killington a sure bet for mid to late-November skiing? I would like to wring the most out of my AllForOne pass...
post #8 of 20
Last year Killington was open early November and the year before that it was late October.

I am hoping that it opens in October so I do not drive everyone nuts talking about skiing.
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manus
Doesn't Killington use Superstar as an opening requirement? I thought that when Superstar was open, they'd open the area, and when Superstar had to close, they'd close the area (needless to say they blow a crap load of snow on the trail).
No. Killington usually will open terrain from Killington Peak to the areas of the Glades (not really glades) Triple chair. They will then have a ribbon coming down Snowden (usually Great Northern/Lower Bunnybuster) to the K1 loading area. Superstar does receive a TON of manmade, but that is done to offer spring skiing late in the season. It probably won't open until December, or later depending on natural to help it along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewschirmer
Is Killington a sure bet for mid to late-November skiing? I would like to wring the most out of my AllForOne pass...
I would say yes. Killington will most likely be open mid to late November. How much terrain is anyone's guess. I've said it before though - Killington is counting on folks like yourself; I'm guessing they are going to make every effort to open a lot of terrain early to further promote the All For One, and to "validate" it for those that already bought one to keep them interested in getting it again next year.
post #10 of 20
It add another question to this thread, what conditions could I expect mid-December? I am considering planning an early-season trip there at that time.
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewschirmer
It add another question to this thread, what conditions could I expect mid-December? I am considering planning an early-season trip there at that time.
I was there last year from Dec 9 to 13 last year. As I recall, there was a big dump Dec 7 or 8. Then Monday was warm, Tuesday and Wednesday were rock hard, Thursday was pouring rain, and Friday was cold again. Sunday the 15th they got another big dump. That's what you can expect.

Regards, John
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewschirmer
It add another question to this thread, what conditions could I expect mid-December? I am considering planning an early-season trip there at that time.
100% open terrain, powder and packed powder conditions. Multiple 18"+ dumps at night, but nice and sunny with no wind during the day. Definitely.






Obviously, there's no way to tell. We'll just have to see how the Fall/early winter unfolds.
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineZone
100% open terrain, powder and packed powder conditions. Multiple 18"+ dumps at night, but nice and sunny with no wind during the day. Definitely.






You must have worked in marketing department too long!
post #14 of 20
Mid December is anyone's guess, but a large resort like Killington is your best bet due to their snowmaking capacity. I recall a few winters ago where it was unseasonably warm and several NH areas were actually shut down in mid December due to lack of snow.

I usually hit Bretton Woods when it opens just to get some turns in. Most of the run tends to be fifteen feet of snow, but it's still fun.
post #15 of 20
I was wondering more about the % open and crowds... obviously if you knew the exact conditions you wouldn't be wasting your time here :-P I've spent the last 2 years in Virginia so I know not to expect great conditions in the early season. The point of the question is more about whether it would be wise to plan a trip to Killington in mid-December. Should I just expect "packed powder"? ;-)
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewschirmer
I was wondering more about the % open and crowds... obviously if you knew the exact conditions you wouldn't be wasting your time here :-P I've spent the last 2 years in Virginia so I know not to expect great conditions in the early season. The point of the question is more about whether it would be wise to plan a trip to Killington in mid-December. Should I just expect "packed powder"? ;-)
I was just teasing. Mid-week crowds will be relatively light in December, I would suspect. % open? It's hard to say. How about if I just say there's a 50:50 chance that 50% of the terrain will be open? Honestly, it could vary. Some of the best ski days in the East were in December last year (I didn't get the chance to enjoy any of them...), but we can just as easily get rain. Expect any type of conditions.
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewschirmer
It add another question to this thread, what conditions could I expect mid-December? I am considering planning an early-season trip there at that time.
Complete crapshoot. We went to ETU last year, mid-december at Stowe. Big dump 5-6 days before ETU followed by lots and lots of rain. Then heavy snow again on Sunday night.
post #18 of 20
I just fear leading a group there and having people be pissed off if conditions are crappy... maybe i should worry more about who I bring rather than the conditions.
post #19 of 20
Honestly I think you're right. Bring folks who are going to be happy just to be on a vacation and on the hill. It is so hit or miss as to what is going to open that you don't want to risk a bad snow week and have some pissed off friends on your hands.
post #20 of 20
It definately depends on the year, but last year I think Okemo opened just a few days (maybe a week) later than Killington, and the skiing was really good - way better than Killington opening day. A couple years ago, we were at Sunday River during Thanksgiving and they had 3 of the peaks open - great year!

Just follow the snow...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › First Resort Open in east??