or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Very Interesting winter weather outlook site
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Very Interesting winter weather outlook site

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
http://groups.msn.com/WinterWeatherO...eroutlook.msnw


This site supports a very good winter in the northeast, with a slighly below average winter in the west. I have no idea about the credability of this site, but it still makes me happy to hear that news about the northeast
post #2 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by east_skiier04
http://groups.msn.com/WinterWeatherO...eroutlook.msnw


with a slighly below average winter in the west.
Sorry Skiier04 it is wrong
post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 
What makes you think it's wrong:
post #4 of 26
Because I ski in the West, we are going to have big snows, right? Right.:
post #5 of 26
Right...
post #6 of 26
I like what I see!!!!! Sorry people out west, it's our turn!
post #7 of 26
The Farmer's Almanac also said the NE was due for a bad winter last year and look how that turned out.

post #8 of 26
I guess nobody from the East will come visit me this winter!
post #9 of 26
Not according to NOAA. Long term temp. and precip. maps here.
post #10 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by irul&ublo
Not according to NOAA. Long term temp. and precip. maps here.
Ahh: Those maps are too confusing for me. I like the other ones:
post #11 of 26
I dunno man, those maps look to me like some toddler discovered the "spray paint" button in paint. Doesn't look like a real weather map...
post #12 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by loafnut
I dunno man, those maps look to me like some toddler discovered the "spray paint" button in paint. Doesn't look like a real weather map...
Well like I said... I have no idea about the credibility of that site.
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by irul&ublo
Not according to NOAA. Long term temp. and precip. maps here.
Here's hoping those are the _rain_ maps.

Did anyone notice the scale on the fingerpaint site? 70 inches of snowfall per season ("much greater than average") is nothing to boast of when looking at mountain with 350".

How do we know the msn site isn't for last season?
post #14 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex

How do we know the msn site isn't for last season?

Click on site updates. It has been updated numerous times within the past few weeks.
post #15 of 26
Ski Taos.
post #16 of 26
Well I hope the maps are right. I hope this is a great winter for skiing (both on the east coast and west coast!)
I think the Almanac if coming out soon. It might already be out? How reliable is that on weather predictions? I like the winters where I get to ski into late March! Good prices and you don't have to wear several layers of clothing.
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalce
The Farmer's Almanac also said the NE was due for a bad winter last year and look how that turned out.


They were right, last winter was bad, actually it sucked!!!!

post #18 of 26
Thread Starter 
Well I know the almanac succesfully predicted the presidants day storm, as well as hurricane charley, but really, they're not all that reliable. But the new almanac that covers the winter will be released sometime in september, I'm not sure when.
post #19 of 26
I guess we'll all just have to wait and see how the weather turns out. I know that often times weather predictions can be incorrect. I'm just hoping this winter provides us with some good skiing! I used to dislike the winters, because I did not like being cold! However, when I discovered skiing that all changed. It is the one thing that makes the winter weather tolerable.
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilskeer
I guess we'll all just have to wait and see how the weather turns out. I know that often times weather predictions can be incorrect. I'm just hoping this winter provides us with some good skiing! I used to dislike the winters, because I did not like being cold! However, when I discovered skiing that all changed. It is the one thing that makes the winter weather tolerable.
There can be such a thing as too cold. Last winter was brutal with the cold. I was at Bromely at -20 with a -50 Wind Chill. [I know, I know, I'm not nomally that crazy but it was a free ticket on Jeep day.]

At my home area the owners were dying because it was so cold nobody would show up. I can remember one saturday (-10) that I was on the lift by myself at 12:00. I believe it was one of the coldest Januarys on record.

But I too changed my tune about winter when I descovered skiing. Being a native Virginian I moved up to the Berkshires and my first winter convienced me that I had to leave. Then I descovered skiing and I wouldn't move back unless somebody gave me a lot of money. Enough to afford weekend trips up here or out west.
post #21 of 26
Yes, I certainly agree. Lots of snow without negative temps would be great! I get cold really easily though! I wear an insane amount of clothing when I go skiing. I figure it's better to wear too many layers, than to not wear enough and be cold.
Once I went skiing at Timberline and there was a frost bite warning! I had not seen that before. I was dressed really warm so it was not too bad out on the slopes. However, when I got back out to the car and took my boots of the immediate temp change from cold to warm caused my feet some pain. I made my boyfriend drive back to the lodge. Any longer and we might have been frost bitten! I understand when you say "too cold!" Brrrrrr....
post #22 of 26

For LisaMarie

Your post lamenting a lack of company could net a lot of company!
I believe that I read a post where you recently moved to Summit county?
What a great idea.
post #23 of 26

Weather Folklore

Keep all your long range hi-tech Internet weather forecast. I'll go with Weather Folklore.

http://www.ladyoftheearth.com/storie...r-folklore.txt
http://www.stalkingthewild.com/weather.htm
http://members.aol.com/Accustiver/wxworld_folk.html
post #24 of 26
There is always the obvious weather.com....has been pretty accurate when I have used it in the past. Does not really predict future weather past a week or so (I think..) but it good for a basic daily forecast.
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilskeer
There is always the obvious weather.com....has been pretty accurate when I have used it in the past. Does not really predict future weather past a week or so (I think..) but it good for a basic daily forecast.
The snow making folks at my little area live or die on www.accuweather.com. It's up on the computers 24 hours a day. I find it pretty frustrating to watch them set up snow making schedules based on the 24 hour detailed forcast. Then find out that the weather changed and they could have made snow for 12 hours and missed the window because the forcast was wrong.

I can't imagine being an owner and going through work schedules everyday based on the highs/lows and wet bulb levels. It would drive me crazy.

Of course, if he had more capital he could turn the guns on at less than 28 degrees and let them rip withough regard to humidity.
post #26 of 26
While we all know that long term forecasting in general and short term forecasting in the mountains is little better than Tarot reading, I think I like the NOAA predictions better for the West
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Very Interesting winter weather outlook site