New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

El Nino? More Snow?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
They are now saying we have a good chance for an El Nino year, which can mean more snow. However, it can mean warmer conditions too, but some epic snow events have occurred in El Nino years. Here is link to the story: http://www.cnn.com/2004/WEATHER/08/0...eut/index.html
post #2 of 18
IIRC, every El Nino has given us here in the East some pretty rainy, warm winters. I really hope this is not the case this year.
post #3 of 18
El Nino for the PNW is not good. Less snow, later snow, more rain. :

I betting on the Farmers Almanac. It predicts a good snow year for the PNW.


Think no El Nino. Maybe it will go away.
post #4 of 18
historically in the North East, our winters are opposites of our summers, which has me a little worried (I'm no meteorologist, just notice trends) since our summer hasn't been overall very warm, and its been rainy, which would lead me to expect a warm, dry winter - not good. I hope I am terribly wrong, as I coule use a good snowfall winter.
post #5 of 18
Quote:
They are now saying we have a good chance for an El Nino year
Fifty per cent is an even chance, by my reading.
post #6 of 18
Yeah, this summer has sucked. It has me a bit worried about this winter as well. I've also noticed we tend to go in 3 year cycles around here. One great winter, the next decent, the third lousy, then an upward swing for 3 years of lousy, decent and excellent. Last year was decent, the year before record amounts of snow...you do the math for this season :
post #7 of 18
The Farmer's Almanac said we were supposed to get alot of snow last year in the Northeast.

They were alittle off.

I am hoping for an early season so I can take a trip Thanksgiving weekend.

post #8 of 18
I thougt we did get a lot of snow last winter.
post #9 of 18
NE maybe, but not here in Western PA. Brutal cold and ice that stuck around forever, but not a lot of snow. It was a banner year for snowmaking though.
post #10 of 18
Western Mass got half the normal snow last winter. I've also noticed the 3 year cycles, we are doomed.
post #11 of 18
I'll be watching the squirels come october/november.

Look for dead squirels (they are the only other species other than human that will commit suicide, but only if it does not feel it has enough food to last the winter) and check how big they are getting and how bushy the tails are.

I find the squirels to be better indicators than both the farmer almanac and long term forcasts based on trends/patterns.
post #12 of 18
I predict a banner winter in the East, especially in the Great Lakes Area. Why?

The cyclical rise and fall of the water levels in the Great Lakes has bottomed out. It's on a ~30 year peak to peak cycle. The water levels rose last year, and should continue this trend next year. That means a wet winter, that is cold, as winter snowfalls and the resultant spring runoff are largely responsible for the increased lake levels.

Whoo hoo!
post #13 of 18
By Manus:

Quote:
I'll be watching the squirels come october/november.

Look for dead squirels (they are the only other species other than human that will commit suicide, but only if it does not feel it has enough food to last the winter) and check how big they are getting and how bushy the tails are.

I find the squirels to be better indicators than both the farmer almanac and long term forcasts based on trends/patterns.
Dead suicide squirrels? : I never heard that one. Does it help the snow outlook if you deliberately hunt them down?
post #14 of 18
Kima,

Hope you're checking this thread-dead squirrels doesn't sound good. (A few years ago there were some interesting threads on squirrels being seen-I'll leave it there)

A lot of folks seem to think because we have had a lot of late afternoon rain this past July and early August in Summit County it is a harbinger of a good winter. We'll see. Definitely has the golf courses lush.
post #15 of 18
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewil
Kima,

Hope you're checking this thread-dead squirrels doesn't sound good. (A few years ago there were some interesting threads on squirrels being seen-I'll leave it there)

.
Just saw it. Dead squirrels yikes! : Not good, not good at all!
post #17 of 18
my 8 ball says that it will most definitely be a good snow season in the west & east and my 8 ball is never wrong
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard
my 8 ball says that it will most definitely be a good snow season in the west & east and my 8 ball is never wrong
Boy, is that good news. I was starting to worry. especially because the squirrels where I live seem so well fed, happy and content with life.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion