EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Powder skis for the GF?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Powder skis for the GF?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
Which skis would you recommend for a female say 5 ft 10 65 Kg can ski pretty much every marked run on the mountain but is just starting out in powder and off piste.

Her technique is quite strong on the groomers but she does not ski aggressively.

Please recommend any skis she should look for to demo and also in what length.
post #2 of 19
K2 Phat Luvs?
post #3 of 19
WTFH, How long can it last?

Elan Mantis 666

Salomon 1080 168cm
post #4 of 19
Pocket Rockets.
165 - 170cm.
I use them in a 170cm, i am 6'0" and 170 lbs, female.
post #5 of 19
Pocket Rockets or K2 Phat Luvs, definitely. 165-170 cm.

I have tried both, plan to buy K2 Phat Luvs in 165. I am female, 5'4" and 140 lbs. I am a fairly aggressive skier, that is why I like 165 vs. 160s...shorter is too squirrely.

Several female ski patrollers who work with my husband have one or the other (or both!) of these skis, and really like them.
post #6 of 19
You should try the Head Mad Trix Mojo along with the Pocket Rockets and the Phat Luvs. The Mojo has a wood core and is soft, snappy, responsive, and fun! Try a 166cm.
post #7 of 19
IMHO,
For starting out in Powder a non-agressive lighter skier would probably be better on a pair of Pocket rockets than the Head Mad Trix Mojos (I've skied a few powder days on the PR's and own the Mad Trix Mojos, never tried the Phat Luvs).
Some people pick up powder skiing better than others, why not rent a pair of Pocket Rockets for her to try (and Phat Luvs if you can find them)? If the PR's are too soft then go for the Mojos or something stiffer.
post #8 of 19
I will agree with the recommendation of the PR and also the 1080s. My daughter has 1080s in a 161 length and loves them. She is about your GF's weight & probably would be better off with a 171 length in powder. I have heard great things about the Phat Luvs from some very good female skiers at Bridger Bowl so I would look into them also.

I would have added the Volant Chubb to the list but Volant dropped the model. That is a shame because it was a very easy to ski powder ski.
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousBrian
IMHO,
For starting out in Powder a non-agressive lighter skier would probably be better on a pair of Pocket rockets than the Head Mad Trix Mojos (I've skied a few powder days on the PR's and own the Mad Trix Mojos, never tried the Phat Luvs).
Some people pick up powder skiing better than others, why not rent a pair of Pocket Rockets for her to try (and Phat Luvs if you can find them)? If the PR's are too soft then go for the Mojos or something stiffer.
yeah, for non-aggressive ungroomed skiers, PR is better, more forgiving.

I'm not even gonna consider mentioning Atomic, Volkl or Fischer.
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio
I will agree with the recommendation of the PR and also the 1080s. My daughter has 1080s in a 161 length and loves them. She is about your GF's weight & probably would be better off with a 171 length in powder. I have heard great things about the Phat Luvs from some very good female skiers at Bridger Bowl so I would look into them also.

I would have added the Volant Chubb to the list but Volant dropped the model. That is a shame because it was a very easy to ski powder ski.
Good news... Volant returned the Chubb to the line last Jan. and also the Machette FB. The FB has a stiffer flex.
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by offpiste
Good news... Volant returned the Chubb to the line last Jan. and also the Machette FB. The FB has a stiffer flex.
Volant returned the Chubb last season and the new version got rave reviews. Unfortunately, from what I've heard (from more than one reliable source) Volant is going upscale this season and dropping the Chubb again.
post #12 of 19
If you are interested in the Chubbs, Skiershop.com has some of last years in smaller sizes.

I got my wife a pair of 165 PRs last year, and although she didn't make it out on many powder days they work nicely for her.
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose21
Which skis would you recommend for a female say 5 ft 10 65 Kg can ski pretty much every marked run on the mountain but is just starting out in powder and off piste.

Her technique is quite strong on the groomers but she does not ski aggressively.

Please recommend any skis she should look for to demo and also in what length.
Moose21,

If she skis mellow she could break into a 168 Volant Chubb (my first choice)
or a 168 Rossi B3 for a fat.

If she's looking for a midfat to start with...I would recommend a K2 T-Nine X in a 167

Resist becoming a "Victim of the Rocket" They sell alot of pocket rockets but, I didn't like the way it skied at all and I weigh about the same.

If you don't ski backwards, there is no need for a twin. The tail just roosts your buddies on the cat tracks.

Peace
post #14 of 19
I would not recommend she buy the Chubb before demoing it. I am a strong believer in demoing to get the right ski and the right length. Going in blind can end up making her very unhappy. Fortunately she can easily demo the Phat Luv and Pocket Rockets. Perhaps a nearby shop has a pair of last year's Chubbs to demo?
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
It is hard enough trying to locate a Pocket Rocket in Oz. Volant's are going to be even more difficult. I have only ever seen 2 pairs in my entire life in Oz.

Thanks for the advice, she is demoing the PR's this weekend.
post #16 of 19
How about giving her yours and buying yourself a new pair?
post #17 of 19
Now there's an altruistic suggestion!
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoki
How about giving her yours and buying yourself a new pair?
That sounds like the best deal there.
post #19 of 19
Thread Starter 
She would really appreciate some volkl V-Pro's in 180cm.

Loving the idea.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Powder skis for the GF?