|Originally posted by Rusty Guy:
Yes for a variety of reasons. It's easy to get to, there are never any crowds, the food is cheap and good.
Not a lot of steep terrain or bumps.
I work there on Mondays and ski there on weekends. It's quick and easy from the east.
Yeah, there are some relative steeps off lift 1- Avalanche bowl is fun and also up on the ridge (lift 4 headwall, superbowl, patrol bowl) but they're pretty short shots off of the ridge. Porcupine ridge looks SICK if they ever open it. There wasn't a chance in hell it was gonna get open last season when I worked there. I just kept staring at it and dreaming.
The Bumps. Most of the bumps are under lift 1 too, but they're big widely spaced gently rolling bumps. I did the "freeride slide" 3/4 of the way down avy bowl once, because the "bumps" weren't well formed enough to stop my momentum You might think you've been skiing bumps at loveland until you go to mary jane and find out what bumps really are.
1. Close and easy, I've made it in 1:05 from boulder (and it takes 25 min just to get to Golden).
2. The crowds- there aren't any. People would get annoyed when they had to stop in the liftline to get their tickets scanned. Not hard to score fresh tracks if you're willing to do just a little hiking
3. the price- no $70 tickets and $12 hamburgers here. Season passes are something like $299
1. the wind
2. the wind- Hey! where did all the snow go?
3. the wind + slow chairs (hint take 1 and ski over to 2 reload to get to the top of 2. From the bottom 2 is like 12 minutes, it goes forward not up, and 1 is more sheltered)
I think that's part of the reason they're no bumps, the snow just gets swept flat over the toughs.
It's hit or miss with the status of lift 9 (the ridge) and to a lesser extent 4 and 8. At one point in time there were three wind gauges at the top of lift 9 and two were broken! That's right, the things designed to measure wind speed just couldn't take it so the meter would be reading 35 or something when it was really gusting to 80 mph.
4. Kind of small. You could exhaust your options in a long season