EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › First Family Trip Out West... advice needed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Family Trip Out West... advice needed - Page 2

post #31 of 67

I never use a travel agent and we take a lot of trips to Europe as well as in the US - the advice I hear about them giving is generally terrible and there's so much info you can get yourself on line.

If I were in your situation and thinking of Park City, I would post on the Park City forum on trip advisor giving your parameters (condo/hotel, 1 bedroom and kids on sleeper couch, 2 bedrooms, proximity to slopes, and per night rough budget) and invite people who are there a lot share their recommendations.  If you are not familiar with tripadvisor, here is the link to the Park City forum and you can also find many reviews if you are thinking about hotels.  Once you have some recommendations, you can check AirBnB as well as the direct lodging sites if you like.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g57097-i800-Park_City_Utah.html

post #32 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
 

 

he just said he has a 7 year old who is just getting into Black trails on the east coast and you tell him to go to Alta and Snowbird?  Thumbs Down

 

The snowboarder can't even ride at Alta.   

 

I'd say Park City or Steamboat.   I found steamboat has fairly cheap lodging, but expensive lift tickets.    Park city has expensive lodging and expensive lift tickets...

 

If they're skiing 25-35 days in NC, I bet even the 7 year old would like the extra vert.  I took my then 7 year old to Whiteface when he was that age and he loved the top to bottom runs... his legs outlasted mine!

 

If they split time between Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude and Park City, they'd have one heck of a trip.  Again, Vail might be their better option though.

post #33 of 67

My kids loved Park City when they were the ages of the OP's kids. They didn't need "real" big vert fall line skiing; They enjoyed the trails such as Detonator made with kids in mind.

post #34 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
 

My kids loved Park City when they were the ages of the OP's kids. They didn't need "real" big vert fall line skiing; They enjoyed the trails such as Detonator made with kids in mind.

 

Just curious, were your kids logging 25-35 days a year locally?  A kid that has never skied before would be in their glory even at our local 700ft vertical hills in WNY / S. Ont.  A kid who's been there and done that would want the extra vert.  My guy was getting about 10 days a year in before I took him to Whiteface and Gore.  For him (and his dad) Whiteface is the winner, because of the vert.

post #35 of 67
Guys let's be honest... take it from a Midwest skier ANY "mountain" out west is going to be great skiing regardless of where you go compared to our 500 ft verticals haha. I vote Park City. Great atmosphere, good beer. Around $300/night for a 2 bedroom condo slope side. Lots to do for the wife as well
post #36 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe View Post

Just curious, were your kids logging 25-35 days a year locally?  A kid that has never skied before would be in their glory even at our local 700ft vertical hills in WNY / S. Ont.  A kid who's been there and done that would want the extra vert.  My guy was getting about 10 days a year in before I took him to Whiteface and Gore.  For him (and his dad) Whiteface is the winner, because of the vert.
Yes, they are getting in 25-35 days locally in NC. Here is where we ski. Don't laugh, this place is beloved my many. http://www.appskimtn.com/
post #37 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwagon View Post

Yes, they are getting in 25-35 days locally in NC. Here is where we ski. Don't laugh, this place is beloved my many. http://www.appskimtn.com/

Maybe 1000-1500ft runs would work after all smile.gif

If you do go to PC, you owe it to them to do a day at Snowbird and a day at Brighton. The first for long continuous vert... The 2nd for easy glade skiing with near perfect snow, even if it hasn't snowed in a week or more.
Edited by JoeSchmoe - 1/11/17 at 10:20am
post #38 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe View Post
 

 

Just curious, were your kids logging 25-35 days a year locally?  A kid that has never skied before would be in their glory even at our local 700ft vertical hills in WNY / S. Ont.  A kid who's been there and done that would want the extra vert.  My guy was getting about 10 days a year in before I took him to Whiteface and Gore.  For him (and his dad) Whiteface is the winner, because of the vert.

 

Actually, yes they were. We live 20 minutes away from Mt. Bachelor and my kids had season passes since they started skiing at age 4 and 5. 

 

http://www.mtbachelor.com/info/mountain-stats/

 

You have to think like a kid rather than like an adult. Although they might be able to ski big lines like an adult, kids tend to gravitate to little nooks, crannies, jibs, and terrain parks.Not to dis on the OP's home hill, it is a hill and not a mountain. The black diamond runs probably aren't in the same league as those out west. They will find fun and challenge at any big western resort.

post #39 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post
 

Being the OP has small kids who ski in NC right now I'm doubting huge continuous fall line vertical is a big priority.

 

When I took my kids out west they wanted to ride lifts with shorter vertical after a few runs as the long vert really tired out their 'midwest legs'.  If you're not used to skiing over 2k vertical feet it can be a challange, especially for kids 


That may be true for these NC kids, or maybe not.

 

I know my daughter at 7 thoroughly enjoyed the long runs off Sugarloaf.  We didn't take them non-stop the first trip.  We stopped as often as she needed to.  But her technique and stamina was more than enough to finish within a reasonable amount of time.  It was her 4th season, skiing only 10-12 days each winter.  I was an older intermediate getting back on skis after a fairly long hiatus, so I pooped out sooner than she did, partially because of the high altitude.  She was good for several runs even after a full day at ski school.

 

The idea is get them hooked during their first trip.

 

That said, I agree that Steamboat and Park City make more sense than Snowbird.  However, a day trip over to Snowbird when there is good visibility could be really fun.  Between the tram and the Peruvian tunnel, just the view from the Summit lodge could make it worth the drive.  Non-skiing wife/mom can ride the tram too.

post #40 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post


That may be true for these NC kids, or maybe not.

I know my daughter at 7 thoroughly enjoyed the long runs off Sugarloaf.  We didn't take them non-stop the first trip.  We stopped as often as she needed to.  But her technique and stamina was more than enough to finish within a reasonable amount of time.  It was her 4th season, skiing only 10-12 days each winter.  I was an older intermediate getting back on skis after a fairly long hiatus, so I pooped out sooner than she did, partially because of the high altitude.  She was good for several runs even after a full day at ski school.

The idea is get them hooked during their first trip.

That said, I agree that Steamboat and Park City make more sense than Snowbird.  However, a day trip over to Snowbird when there is good visibility could be really fun.  Between the tram and the Peruvian tunnel, just the view from the Summit lodge could make it worth the drive.  Non-skiing wife/mom can ride the tram too.

In addition to the tram, I seem to recall a while back that someone had said the Cliff Lodge pool and hot tub are reasonable for the day. It was several years ago, so I don't remember details.
post #41 of 67
Found the details... $25 gets you in to use the rooftop pool and hot tub, yoga classes, etc...

http://www.snowbird.com/cliff-spa/facilities
post #42 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe View Post

Found the details... $25 gets you in to use the rooftop pool and hot tub, yoga classes, etc...

http://www.snowbird.com/cliff-spa/facilities


Yep, I know people who stay at Alta (not at the Rustler) who go down to Snowbird for a spa treatment.  Come back very relaxed and happy.

post #43 of 67

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see where the OP said WHEN he wants to go.  Over Christmas, holidays?  And for how long?  This could help factor in recommendations.

post #44 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe View Post


Don't go to Aspen then. While the skiing may not break completely the bank, but the shopping definitely will. Unless your wife is into shopping with the 1% crowd (or more like 0.01%) she won't have a lot of options.

Agree.  It is the Rodeo Drive of ski towns on steroids.  Unless she enjoys window shopping it is ridiculously expensive.  Park City is a better option for a family.  In town there is stuff to do, and if the kids need a break the museums in SLC are very, very good (Natural History museum in particular).  And PC is having the best snow in probably 15 years......  

post #45 of 67

Just make your life easy and go to Park City. You, your kids and wife will have a great time. Park City/Canyons have close to 8000 acres of skiing, way more than you and your kids will ski in a week. You will be able to get around easily without a car and you can stay slope side if you want.

post #46 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaman View Post

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see where the OP said WHEN he wants to go.  Over Christmas, holidays?  And for how long?  This could help factor in recommendations.
Christmas (Dec 27 - Jan 1) is first choice. May switch it to later in January if flights are significantly less. I will be using miles, but others will not so I'll be sensitive to that.
post #47 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaman View Post
 

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see where the OP said WHEN he wants to go.  Over Christmas, holidays?  And for how long?  This could help factor in recommendations.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwagon View Post


Christmas (Dec 27 - Jan 1) is first choice. May switch it to later in January if flights are significantly less. I will be using miles, but others will not so I'll be sensitive to that.

 

Crowds at most places.  At that time, I'd pick Aspen for lesser crowds.  Or maybe Steamboat.  Park City will be a zoo.  Everything will be more expensive then.  If you can do it in January, it will be less expensive for everything (airfare, lodging, etc.).

post #48 of 67
Would agree with Aspen or Steamboat. Tough to recommend a Vail resort at Christmas unless you like crowds.
post #49 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

Terrible advice.  Kimball Junction's an outlet mall that looks like every other mall in America and then your going to have the guy drive an hour to the Cottonwoods every day.




Not a ski village or a fun, lively, energetic atmosphere.


  Not accurate at all.

Well duh, 'course it's not a ski village..........Kimball Junction is where you turn off highway 80. Some good stores, restaurants, theatres, and a market. Lots of condos, several hotels, and an outlet mall. The town of Park City is about 6 miles south on highway 224.
Edited by Utahski - 1/11/17 at 4:11pm
post #50 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwagon View Post

Christmas (Dec 27 - Jan 1) is first choice. May switch it to later in January if flights are significantly less. I will be using miles, but others will not so I'll be sensitive to that.

Big Sky then haha going to be very crowded most places
post #51 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwagon View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaman View Post

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see where the OP said WHEN he wants to go.  Over Christmas, holidays?  And for how long?  This could help factor in recommendations.
Christmas (Dec 27 - Jan 1) is first choice. May switch it to later in January if flights are significantly less. I will be using miles, but others will not so I'll be sensitive to that.


Park City would not be my first choice during Christmas holidays.

 

My daughter went with friends from DC (3 teens) to Big Sky that week in 2015.  They had a good time.  No mention of issues with lift lines.  But not much for a non-skier to do.

 

Do your kids have any sort of spring break?  Much less of an issue with crowds.  Longer days.  All my daughter's trips as a tween were in March or April to Utah.

post #52 of 67

Solitude is never busy - we went 9 years in a row as I said, always after Christmas through new year.

If you can push your trip back even a day or two, that will thin the crowds and lower your costs wherever you go.

post #53 of 67
I love skiing at Big Sky but what would the OP's wife do there the whole time, sit around in the base lodge tending to a crock pot?

Requirement #6: "Wife will need some nearby areas for retail therapy while we ski."

Requirement #8. "We desire a fun, lively, energetic atmosphere."
post #54 of 67
There was a Xmas trip report from a few years back, and one of the highlights was how Solitude was not busy at all.

http://www.epicski.com/t/96140/solitude-at-christmas-yes-updated-with-tr/0_100

While normally a sleepy area, I imagine it would be somewhat bustling during Xmas week. No shopping though.
post #55 of 67
The Solitude is never busy mantra seems to have formed the opposite.

December 26th, 2016, the lots were full and people were parked on the road a half mile down.


post #56 of 67
There was a time I'd tell them to come here, but I'm done singing that tune. They broke records this year with Christmas crowds. 8600 one day. That's plenty.
post #57 of 67
Thread Starter 
Alright, looks like Christmas week is out. We will plan to go later In January or early February during a non-holiday period.
post #58 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwagon View Post

Alright, looks like Christmas week is out. We will plan to go later In January or early February during a non-holiday period.

 

Good call... IMO as someone who has a LOT more fun when there aren't crowds around, when you go is probably a more important decision that where you go. Of course, with kids and school sometimes you don't have a lot of options.

post #59 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwagon View Post

Alright, looks like Christmas week is out. We will plan to go later In January or early February during a non-holiday period.

 

When are your kiddos on spring break?   Spring breaks are spread out over almost a full month (or more) and I hear that tends to make things less busy than the holidays or MLK weekend.

post #60 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by focker View Post

When are your kiddos on spring break?   Spring breaks are spread out over almost a full month (or more) and I hear that tends to make things less busy than the holidays or MLK weekend.
Still waiting for school calendar to come out for 17-18. That's what we will likely end up doing if it's not too late in April. My son and I may sneak out for a long weekend this spring break.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › First Family Trip Out West... advice needed