- 5,714 Posts. Joined 9/2011
- Location: Colorado
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Where should I go for a ski vacation? [Feb family trip, non-skiing mom, from MA] Last post on 2/24/17 at 4:13pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Early season 2015-16, more than 1000 acres open in US/Canada before 12/25 Last post on 12/24/15 at 12:11pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Best Resort for Mid March 2016: Very Mixed Group (No True experts)???? Help! Last post on 12/1/15 at 9:37am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Vail Thanksgiving Last post on 11/15/15 at 5:08am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Daddy-Daughter Ski Trip Last post on 9/4/15 at 9:57pm in General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki Interview with Patrick Torsell of Ski Cooper: Part 2
Last edited: 1/20/17
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/24/16
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ResortLast edited: 6/15/16
- Snowmass, CO - A PictorialLast edited: 1/3/15
- Colorado Road Trip RecapLast edited: 8/29/15
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
Colorado Dec 16-23.. Time to change plans ?? - Page 7post #181 of 18812/22/16 at 11:18pmZuma, Parsenn, and Lift 4 at Loveland all open tomorrow. Some nice rope drops off S @ Copper today...
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #182 of 18812/23/16 at 10:33am
In a normal season terrain opens gradually as it becomes available. With the bad start and recent catch-up, the long list of scheduled openings posted above indicates that some areas held back terrain for Christmas which might have been skiable during this week.
I am surprised by this, because I just got back from 3 days at Mammoth, and while I would not call it congested, it was noticeably busier than a "normal midweek." With some uptick in business the week before Christmas, ski areas still have the incentive to open as many lifts/runs as possible by mid-December IMHO.post #183 of 18812/24/16 at 1:59pm
The holiday weekend is here and Breck (61%), Copper (48%) and Loveland (39%) are still lagging. It's a puzzle because all the other places are close to full operation as one would expect with the strong December snowfall.post #184 of 18812/25/16 at 1:45pm
Just finishing up our week+ at Snowmass. Added today when we saw the chance of getting some powder/soft stuff. Mountain skied very well, with pretty much everything that 95% of skiers would ski. Hiked Long Shot this morning, and it was a phenomenal run down.
Snow got a little scratchy midweek, then a couple of nice 5-7" refreshers. Ajax skied wonderfully the one day we were there.
Very happy we kept our plans as is, though I know we were lucky. As mentioned above, had I not seen that cycle lined up I almost certainly would've taken the fam to Whistler.post #185 of 18812/25/16 at 4:50pmQuote = golden23:pretty much everything that 95% of skiers would ski.
Aspen/Snowmass was 35% open Dec. 16 and 75% open Dec. 23. Since they got 2 feet Dec. 17-18, I presume the terrain expansion occurred early in the week.
And yes at 75%, what's not open is the high expert stuff.post #186 of 18812/25/16 at 6:46pm
Yep- Snowmass opened the whole Elk camp side of the mountain the morning after the 19" storm (believe it was the 18th it was opened), and then slowly opened the middle Alpine lifts over the next few days.post #187 of 18812/26/16 at 3:38pm
Christmas Zoo Week is officially here, so here are the results of terrain open, first my Nov. 19 prediction, second the actual today in bold, third the long term median since 1988:
A-Basin: 39%, 87%, 60%
Breck: 52%, 69%, 76%
Copper: 54%, 50%, 66%
Keystone: 55%, 98%, 88%
Loveland: 35%, 40%, 59%
Steamboat: 89%, 98%, 97%
Vail: 72%, 99%, 96%
Winter Park: 58%, 78%, 83%
The December storms completely erased the November deficit and even a bit more than that in some places. Base depths are above average for Christmas Week at A-Basin, Keystone, Steamboat and Vail and no worse than average at the other places. In this context it's strange how little Copper and Loveland have open. Long term it's not all that strange because their median percents open at Christmas are quite low relative to most destination resorts. A-Basin is normally in that group too, but happily not this year.
Even though it's been snowing all month it takes time to make up a deficiency as severe as existed Nov. 15. Skiing was only on a limited 18-inch snowmaking base through Dec. 8 and terrain was as restricted or worse than I predicted Dec. 14. The Dec. 16-18 storm is what moved the needle so the week before Christmas was only moderately below average in open terrain but of course skied better than that because of the new snow. As of Christmas it's a normal or better season.
- Colorado Dec 16-23.. Time to change plans ??
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Zipfit Owners 8 minutes ago
- › My 2nd annual Banff trip: March 9 – 11, 2017 22 minutes ago
- › Semantics 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
- › Race Skis - Can't get side edges sharp in certain places 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › Praxis Custom Sale Up 1 hour, 36 minutes ago
- › Mammoth Mountain for 2016-2017 2 hours, 10 minutes ago
- › The Season of Pow - China, Xinjiang Trip Report 2 hours, 27 minutes ago
- › Aspen end of March?? 2 hours, 28 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 2 hours, 32 minutes ago
- › Brighton/Solitude v. Sbird/Alta 2 hours, 40 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview