or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Smith Chromapop thoughts.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smith Chromapop thoughts.

post #1 of 74
Thread Starter 

So what is everyones thoughts on the new Smith Chromapop lenses. I really like the idea. Everything we have tried to do with tints and mirror coatings should be done for us by these lenses. Anyone use them? Anyone purchased (or plan to) a Chromapop lens. How does a Chromapop Storm lens compare to Smiths Blue or Red sensor.

 

I get the impression it will be similar to Oakley prizm which I've never used or even tried in a store. The website makes Prizm look impressive though.

 

 

Thoughts? Love them? Hate them? Worth It? Marketing gimic?


Edited by kbat11700 - 10/11/16 at 11:58am
post #2 of 74

Blistergearreview has a 2014 article on Smith's Chromapop sunglasses lenses, seems the Chromapop uses a different approach from Oakley's Prizm lenses, and i don't think Chromapop can match Prizm's performance as increasing contrast at low light conditions.

 

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/what-is-chromapop

post #3 of 74

Good like finding Storm replacement lenses.Smith is sold out, there are a few floating around on the webz. At a 100 bucks just for the lens they better be able to detect snow snakes and see through women's clothes.

post #4 of 74
Thread Starter 

for the sake of the thread, im going to change the question a little bit. I want to learn about these lenses and how they compare to the competition and existing Smith lenses. Its a discussion thread, not a "should I buy XYZ" thread.

 

Thank you!

post #5 of 74

I think the reason you're having trouble getting a discussion going is that very few people here have tried them yet. The Blister review is about sunglasses not goggles for storm days. All we know is what Smith says.

post #6 of 74
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

I think the reason you're having trouble getting a discussion going is that very few people here have tried them yet. The Blister review is about sunglasses not goggles for storm days. All we know is what Smith says.


I kind of figured that. I was just hoping someone(s) who maybe have tried it or know more about it could inform us.

post #7 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbat11700 View Post

So what is everyones thoughts on the new Smith Chromapop lenses. I really like the idea. Everything we have tried to do with tints and mirror coatings should be done for us by these lenses. Anyone use them? Anyone purchased (or plan to) a Chromapop lens. How does a Chromapop Storm lens compare to Smiths Blue or Red sensor.

I get the impression it will be similar to Oakley prizm which I've never used or even tried in a store. The website makes Prizm look impressive though.


Thoughts? Love them? Hate them? Worth It? Marketing gimic?
I have chromapop sunglasses from smith, and ever since the first time I put them on (which was on a sunny day) I was throughly impressed. Every single color was so vibrant compared to when I took them off. Unbelievable product.
post #8 of 74

So now I get it, the chromapop idea was put into sunglasses first.  Will be new for 2016-17 in ski goggles.  Wondered why I'd never come across lenses with chromapop before.  I've had I/OS goggles for a while.

 

http://www.thegearcaster.com/2016/01/smith-brings-chromapop-to-snow-goggles.html

 

post #9 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post

So now I get it, the chromapop idea was put into sunglasses first.  Will be new for 2016-17 in ski goggles.  Wondered why I'd never come across lenses with chromapop before.  I've had I/OS goggles for a while.

http://www.thegearcaster.com/2016/01/smith-brings-chromapop-to-snow-goggles.html


That is correct, was implanted into sunglasses first.... great addition to googles
post #10 of 74
Thread Starter 

Interesting. I get a discount to Smith and My Red sensor mirror lens is pretty heavily scratched... maybe I will have to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerTwo100 View Post


I have chromapop sunglasses from smith, and ever since the first time I put them on (which was on a sunny day) I was throughly impressed. Every single color was so vibrant compared to when I took them off. Unbelievable product.

Interesting. I get a discount to Smith and My Red sensor mirror lens is pretty heavily scratched... maybe I will have to try it.

post #11 of 74

Got a great deal on IO/s chromapop goggles today.  $168 for the new frames and 2 lenses.  Both the storm and the sun.  The frames really don't look like they have much of a change other than the tabs for swapping lenses out are a bit bigger.  It will be interesting to see how she likes them compared to her photochromatics.

post #12 of 74
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78 View Post
 

Got a great deal on IO/s chromapop goggles today.  $168 for the new frames and 2 lenses.  Both the storm and the sun.  The frames really don't look like they have much of a change other than the tabs for swapping lenses out are a bit bigger.  It will be interesting to see how she likes them compared to her photochromatics.

can you notice any differences in the lenses?

post #13 of 74

Anybody know when these will be restocked? Seems like pretty much everyone is sold out. For the IO7 at least.

post #14 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachK View Post
 

Anybody know when these will be restocked? Seems like pretty much everyone is sold out. For the IO7 at least.

 

Not sure. My father-in-law got me a lens of the every day ones for my birthday this week. While the Storm ones seem like they might offer the most value ordinarily, I've been happy with my red sensor and green solx lenses, but my mixed condition ignitors were just kinda okay. If no one else does, I'll try to report back after my first ski trip of the year over the holidays.

 

Without really trying them, for someone who has a low light/mixed/blue bird combination already for their lenses, I'd say at $85-$105 a pop (heh), they're a great Christmas gift to ask for: not strictly necessary but a nice gift. 

 

One thing I've noticed is that the VLT for all the lenses seems to be the lowest end of their intended use compared to similar lenses. The Sun is 9% VLT, which is only higher than the Gold Sol-X and lower than the Green and Red SolX. The Everyday is 25% VLT, which is the same as the Smith Platinum Mirror, which is a high light lens meant not to poop out with some shadows, but it's quite a bit lower than the Ignitor's 35%, which I think was intended as the standard every day lens before. 

 

The Storm's VLT is 50%, and that's lower than any of the other lenses intended for low light. The Sensors (one of which is usually in the original pack) are in the 55-70% range. 

 

The product marketing material says that the lenses are good in a wider range of conditions though. 


Edited by zoraster - 12/7/16 at 7:21am
post #15 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoraster View Post
 

 

Not sure. My father-in-law got me a lens of the every day ones for my birthday this week. While the Storm ones seem like they might offer the most value ordinarily, I've been happy with my red sensor and green solx lenses, but my mixed condition ignitors were just kinda okay. If no one else does, I'll try to report back after my first ski trip of the year over the holidays.

 

Without really trying them, for someone who has a low light/mixed/blue bird combination already for their lenses, I'd say at $85-$105 a pop (heh), they're a great Christmas gift to ask for: not strictly necessary but a nice gift. 

That'd be great! I'm most interested in the everyday/storm combo. I've never been a fan of super dark lenses.

post #16 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoraster View Post

 

 

One thing I've noticed is that the VLT for all the lenses seems to be the lowest end of their intended use compared to similar lenses. The Sun is 9% VLT, which is only higher than the Gold Sol-X and lower than the Green and Red SolX. The Everyday is 25% VLT, which is the same as the Smith Platinum Mirror, which is a high light lens meant not to poop out with some shadows, but it's quite a bit lower than the Ignitor's 35%, which I think was intended as the standard every day lens before. 

 

The Storm's VLT is 50%, and that's lower than any of the other lenses intended for low light. The Sensors (one of which is usually in the original pack) are in the 55-70% range. 

 

The product marketing material says that the lenses are good in a wider range of conditions though. 

Yeah, my current setup is the I/O with red sol x and blue sensor ( I also have blackout and red sensor, but rarely use them). I'm a big fan of the red sol and blue sensor combo and didn't really want to dip into the lower VLT of the Sun Chromapop. Definitely interested in seeing how the Storm compares to the blue sensor.

 

I'm currently in the process of selling the I/O though so hopefully the chromapops will start popping up again soon.  I'm interested in trying them out. Everyone seems to love the chromapop in their sunglasses.

post #17 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbat11700 View Post
 

can you notice any differences in the lenses?

 

Yikes.  Sorry I missed this.  They are a Christmas present and she hasn't tried them yet.  She has the photochromatic lenses now so I will be curious to see how she likes the storm.

post #18 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachK View Post
 

Yeah, my current setup is the I/O with red sol x and blue sensor ( I also have blackout and red sensor, but rarely use them). I'm currently in the process of selling those though so hopefully the chromapops will start popping up again soon.  I'm interested in trying them out. Everyone seems to love the chromapop in their sunglasses.


Dont sleep on those Red Sensors  - I REALLY like that Red Sensor lens on those stormy but sun could come out at times days - that little bit of red mirror is like an ice cube on eyeballs vs. just running the blue sensor.  As I get older my eyes are way more sensitive to flat light, so the lens choice, for me at least, is important

post #19 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by givethepigeye View Post
 


Dont sleep on those Red Sensors  - I REALLY like that Red Sensor lens on those stormy but sun could come out at times days - that little bit of red mirror is like an ice cube on eyeballs vs. just running the blue sensor.  As I get older my eyes are way more sensitive to flat light, so the lens choice, for me at least, is important

I agree, they are still good lenses and I use them on occasion, just not as much as the others. I'm hoping that the Chromapop everyday is versatile enough to kind of be a combination of red sol and red sensor.

 

Unfortunately with them being new lenses for snow, there aren't many on snow reviews yet.

post #20 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachK View Post
 

I agree, they are still good lenses and I use them on occasion, just not as much as the others. I'm hoping that the Chromapop everyday is versatile enough to kind of be a combination of red sol and red sensor.

 

Unfortunately with them being new lenses for snow, there aren't many on snow reviews yet.

 

Here's my totally scientific way of judging these without actually leaving the house (and having to put on my contacts). I directly stared at the following light through each lens and noted how much pain I was in:

 

 

The above is the Red Sensor, but because this is just an iphone photo it's not really indicative of much.

 

So... here's what I note:

 

Green SolX2: No pain or discomfort, really. A bit of afterimage when I stop staring.

Chromapop Everyday: No pain but a bit uncomfortable. Definitely an afterimage

Ignitor Mirror: A bit of pain and discomfort but not too bad.

Red Sensor: Quite painful, couldn't look for as long.

 

In other words, confirming what the VLT's would indicate, the Chromapop Everyday is much closer to replacing a SolX than a Sensor. I'd still say the SolX is something worthwhile to have in your quiver if you ski bluebird days out of the trees (e.g. glaciers, above tree line) as the Green SolX is really good for that, but even then I doubt you'd suffer too much. But I think that while your Chromapop Everyday might be able to take you into more cloudiness and shadows, the Sensors will still play a huge role in anyone's lens collection unless you avoid storm days.

 

To put it more succinctly: my brief experiment showed the EveryDay overlaps quite a bit more with a SolX's range than it does with the Sensor's. 

 

Repeating that I haven't actually used these EveryDay lenses yet, if I were to suggest to someone buying the new goggles rather than just a replacement lens, I'd go Storm+EveryDay as that'll give comfort and optimal vision in what appears to be 90% of the likely spectrum encountered.

post #21 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoraster View Post
 

 

Here's my totally scientific way of judging these without actually leaving the house (and having to put on my contacts). I directly stared at the following light through each lens and noted how much pain I was in:

 

 

The above is the Red Sensor, but because this is just an iphone photo it's not really indicative of much.

 

So... here's what I note:

 

Green SolX2: No pain or discomfort, really. A bit of afterimage when I stop staring.

Chromapop Everyday: No pain but a bit uncomfortable. Definitely an afterimage

Ignitor Mirror: A bit of pain and discomfort but not too bad.

Red Sensor: Quite painful, couldn't look for as long.

 

In other words, confirming what the VLT's would indicate, the Chromapop Everyday is much closer to replacing a SolX than a Sensor. I'd still say the SolX is something worthwhile to have in your quiver if you ski bluebird days out of the trees (e.g. glaciers, above tree line) as the Green SolX is really good for that, but even then I doubt you'd suffer too much. But I think that while your Chromapop Everyday might be able to take you into more cloudiness and shadows, the Sensors will still play a huge role in anyone's lens collection unless you avoid storm days.

 

To put it more succinctly: my brief experiment showed the EveryDay overlaps quite a bit more with a SolX's range than it does with the Sensor's. 

 

Repeating that I haven't actually used these EveryDay lenses yet, if I were to suggest to someone buying the new goggles rather than just a replacement lens, I'd go Storm+EveryDay as that'll give comfort and optimal vision in what appears to be 90% of the likely spectrum encountered.

Nice post, thanks for the breakdown. I agree, I think the everyday+storm combo would be better than the sun/storm combo....IMO at least. Then either the sun chromapop or one of the SolX lenses could be added later on to have something for every condition (possibly one of the sensors later as well if the Storm doesn't end up being great in super flat light)

post #22 of 74

I have a pair coming that should be here any day. I am most interested in the the Chromapop Storm lens which will be included with  the Sun lens.

 

Am heading to Whistler next week and will let you know how the Storm works!

post #23 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
 

I have a pair coming that should be here any day. I am most interested in the the Chromapop Storm lens which will be included with  the Sun lens.

 

Am heading to Whistler next week and will let you know how the Storm works!

Perfect. I'll be in Whistler end of January so that'd be great to hear how they hold up there.

post #24 of 74

One thing to note is that Smith's lower-end interchangeable, the Smith Squad, comes with one Chromapop Everyday and one non-chromapop Yellow Sensor, so clearly the powers that be thought the Everyday was the more important (or at least more marketable) to have the chromapop on. 

post #25 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoraster View Post
 

One thing to note is that Smith's lower-end interchangeable, the Smith Squad, comes with one Chromapop Everyday and one non-chromapop Yellow Sensor, so clearly the powers that be thought the Everyday was the more important (or at least more marketable) to have the chromapop on. 

I did find it interesting that the Squad seemed to just have the Everyday, whereas a larger majority of the IO7 have the Sun/Storm combo and just a select few IO7 frames come with the Everyday.

post #26 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachK View Post
 

I did find it interesting that the Squad seemed to just have the Everyday, whereas a larger majority of the IO7 have the Sun/Storm combo and just a select few IO7 frames come with the Everyday.

 

I see both on offer at least for the IO7s (though Storm is the universally provided lens), though their way of listing things on their site by frame color (which is a tertiary consideration for me) and then showing lens color makes going through that exhausting. 

post #27 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoraster View Post
 

 

I see both on offer at least for the IO7s (though Storm is the universally provided lens), though their way of listing things on their site by frame color (which is a tertiary consideration for me) and then showing lens color makes going through that exhausting. 

Yeah, both are offered, but there seem to be less frames coming with the Everyday. I don't really understand why, if you are ordering online, you can't just pick your frame and then choose which 2 lenses you want. Instead of pairing them for you based on....?

post #28 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
 

I have a pair coming that should be here any day. I am most interested in the the Chromapop Storm lens which will be included with  the Sun lens.

 

Am heading to Whistler next week and will let you know how the Storm works!

 

how'd they work out? 

post #29 of 74

i got a great deal on the smith squads with the chromapop and regular yellow lens. 

 

chromapop lense really impressed me,especially skiing bumps...... i could read the contour of the mountain incredibly well!!! 

definitely impressed.  I used these in variable light condtiions. mostly cloudy with some light poking through here and there.

 

even the plain yellow lenses worked quite well for flat light conditions in ran into yesterday at Alta

 

pretty easy to change out the lenses as well.  i would recommend these goggles for sure. i mean they wont change your life but they are a stepup from any goggle i have ever used . ( albeit i have never paid more than 75 bucks on goggles)

post #30 of 74

Ended up finding a really good deal on an open box i/o7 with the regular red sol x/blue sensor combo and then found a chromapop everyday lens. They seem to be sold out many places, both the frames with chromapop lenses and the replacement lenses themselves. I had some on backorder, but was recently notified Smith was not planning on restocking anytime soon.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Smith Chromapop thoughts.