My friends just bailed out on me at the last minute. So now I either have to search for a new buddy to ski with, or just go alone. Is it worth going alone, or should I try to find someone to go with?
- topicAspen Traveltagged by marznc, 9/21/16
- itemButtermilktagged by marznc, 9/21/16
- brandPark Citytagged by marznc, 9/21/16
- topicSLC Traveltagged by marznc, 9/21/16
- itemSnowmasstagged by marznc, 9/21/16
- itemSteamboat Ski Resorttagged by marznc, 9/21/16
- itemTelluride Ski & Golf Resorttagged by marznc, 9/22/16
- itemVail Resorttagged by marznc, 9/21/16
Related Forum Threads
- Outside Magazine’s 2012 Ski Resort Rankings Last post on 11/7/12 at 7:44am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Where to ski to see majestic mountains out West (for intermediate east coast family)? Last post on 10/17/16 at 5:11pm in Family Skiing Discussions
- Help me plan my tour of Colorado ski areas! [Feb 2014] Last post on 9/21/13 at 7:46pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- SKI Magazine Resort Survey Results, 2012-2013 Last post on 3/2/13 at 1:25pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Best Resort for Mid March 2016: Very Mixed Group (No True experts)???? Help! Last post on 12/1/15 at 9:37am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/17/16
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ResortLast edited: 6/15/16
- Park City, UT - A PictorialLast edited: 9/20/15
- Snowmass, CO - A PictorialLast edited: 1/3/15
- Colorado Road Trip RecapLast edited: 8/29/15
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Where should I go for a ski vacation? [Feb family trip, non-skiing mom, from MA] - Page 3post #61 of 6810/7/16 at 8:35pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 6810/7/16 at 9:13pmpost #63 of 6810/7/16 at 9:15pmpost #64 of 6810/7/16 at 9:17pmThread Starter
oh sorry, my family is coming what I meant to say was that I would be skiing alone, since the rest of my family are almost complete beginners.post #65 of 6810/7/16 at 11:14pm
Most mountains offer free guided tours and they divide the guests up into intermediate or advanced groups, so a great way to find people of the same or similar ability to ski with and it is guided.post #66 of 6810/7/16 at 11:22pmpost #67 of 6810/8/16 at 12:07am
Just wanted to add, if you decide to go to Telluride, I strongly encourage you to fly into Montrose and drive from there. It's only a 1.5 hour drive versus the 6 hour drive from Denver. It also means you can pay for a shuttle and avoid the hassle of renting a car (which is entirely pointless to have in Telluride).
As an aside, you couldn't pay to get me to fly into Telluride airport. Ignoring the cost and difficulties booking, that is the highest elevation airport in North America and looks like a death trap. Literally a single runway on the edge of a cliff.
Also relevant since you mentioned you like bumps: Telluride is one of the best mountains in North America for mogul skiing. It definitely has the edge over Aspen in that regard. It's also a relatively challenging mountain - they use the double-blue system, and some double-blues are definitely equal to double blacks back East. You won't be bored.post #68 of 6810/8/16 at 6:28amQuote:
Since your family are going, and are willing to pay for a premier ski destination, not much reason to skip the trip. It's a bit hard to describe how much longer the trails are out west. The snow is also quite different. I did a few trips out west as a working adult as an intermediate where I ended up skiing alone quite a bit of the time because the others in the group were either far more advanced or very cautious intermediates. Did I ski a lot of the mountain? No. I stuck to groomers. Did I have a good time? Yes. And I was paying for the trips myself.
Besides the free tour, consider taking a group lesson or two. Not only good for improving technique, also useful for finding out where else to ski by asking questions of the instructor after they spend some time with you.
Going without a ski buddy, I would suggest thinking about Aspen more. Then you can easily explore four mountains, or find two that you really like.
- Where should I go for a ski vacation? [Feb family trip, non-skiing mom, from MA]
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain Resort
- › Picture of the day... 1 minute ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 8 minutes ago
- › 5-year plans for Alta and Snowbasin 12 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 24 minutes ago
- › North American snow watch 2016- snow reports needed! 27 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 33 minutes ago
- › How to fix cracked ski edge 54 minutes ago
- › 2017 CRV with 1.5l turbo? 56 minutes ago
- › All mountain twin tip plus park ski? 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › Decision '17: Whistler or Alta/Bird? 1 hour, 27 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer