or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke

post #1 of 114
Thread Starter 

After the dusting of snow earlier this week I had several people asking me about the new Tahoe thread.  So here it is.

 

No weather links, no BS, we all know the deal.

 

Anecdotal observation: the squirrels are going crazy right now and the bears are awfully fat.  Could be a sign of a good winter to come.  That's about as accurate as long-term weather forecasting so I'm going with it.

post #2 of 114

Woo hoo.  First to check in...

post #3 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
 

After the dusting of snow earlier this week I had several people asking me about the new Tahoe thread.  So here it is.

 

No weather links, no BS, we all know the deal.

 

Anecdotal observation: the squirrels are going crazy right now and the bears are awfully fat.  Could be a sign of a good winter to come.  That's about as accurate as long-term weather forecasting so I'm going with it.

 

Don't forget the yellowjackets, I've been stung 6 times this summer. Obviously, it is going to snow a lot just to rid Tahoe of those damned things. 

post #4 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ske-Bum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post

 
After the dusting of snow earlier this week I had several people asking me about the new Tahoe thread.  So here it is.

No weather links, no BS, we all know the deal.

Anecdotal observation: the squirrels are going crazy right now and the bears are awfully fat.  Could be a sign of a good winter to come.  That's about as accurate as long-term weather forecasting so I'm going with it.

Don't forget the yellowjackets, I've been stung 6 times this summer. Obviously, it is going to snow a lot just to rid Tahoe of those damned things. 

Curious if you're on any medication? I went for years without getting stung, then several years ago was also stung six times by yellow jackets that I didn't even know were in the area. I was taking Neurontin/Gabapentin at the time and when I went off of it, it stopped happening.
post #5 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post


Curious if you're on any medication? I went for years without getting stung, then several years ago was also stung six times by yellow jackets that I didn't even know were in the area. I was taking Neurontin/Gabapentin at the time and when I went off of it, it stopped happening.

No, I am told I can't count wine as medication. I have sucked 3 into my jersey mountain biking, now it is zipped to the top and various other ways to get stung, it isn't hard up here right now. They are so thick this year it is crazy, never seen a yellowjacket hatch like this. 

post #6 of 114
Just got the new deck finished before Labor Day, and when I try to burn some meat ...

Those yellow jackets showed up with a vengeance

All the time in August during demo and construction there were no issues, but September rolls around and I need bug netting.

They came out of nowhere
post #7 of 114

interesting, and way off topic, sorry, I found a yellow jacket colony in the ground with hundreds inside, but this is in NC.  Maybe it is the year of the yellow jacket.  Back to topic, I just hope the blob gets destroyed soon by large storms or I am afraid it's not looking good for snow this winter.

post #8 of 114

The weather is different this year, as in cooler where I live in So Cal.  Ocean has likely cooled off 5-6 degrees in the last 10 days.  I was woken up by lightening and thunder and then a passing rain storm the morning, so ya, I am hopeful for a normal descent season.  We will see.  I was going to sell my Tahoe time share, but have decided to keep it another season.

post #9 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelton94 View Post
 

interesting, and way off topic, sorry, I found a yellow jacket colony in the ground with hundreds inside, but this is in NC.  Maybe it is the year of the yellow jacket.  Back to topic, I just hope the blob gets destroyed soon by large storms or I am afraid it's not looking good for snow this winter.

 

Just read this post yesterday, where Swain writes that there is some evidence that it might be the other way around: that the high pressure ridge causes the blob, rather than the blob the ridge.  And that the ridge is affected by weather in other parts of the world.   He's careful not to simplify too much and to say, "we're still learning about this" but it's interesting to read.

 

http://www.weatherwest.com/archives/4264

post #10 of 114

my understanding is that high pressure causes the blob by preventing storms that mix up the warm water on top with the cool water below, then the blob further strengthens the high pressure, so that the process becomes self perpetuating.  

post #11 of 114
Thread Starter 

I'm not too worried about the blob just yet.  It's still mid September so we'll see.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post


Curious if you're on any medication? I went for years without getting stung, then several years ago was also stung six times by yellow jackets that I didn't even know were in the area. I was taking Neurontin/Gabapentin at the time and when I went off of it, it stopped happening.

 

No, Tahoe has been invaded by wasps and yellowjackets like nothing else this year.  For the past few weeks it's almost impossible to bring your kids to the beaches.

 

http://www.sierrasun.com/news/23748702-113/yellowjacket-wasp-populations-surging-at-lake-tahoe-this

 

I got stung right in the jugular on my mountain bike during a fast downhill section.  I took one of my hands off the bars as a reaction for just a split second and next thing I know I'm flying into some rocks.  I can't wait for a deep freeze to kill those f***ers off.

post #12 of 114
Any info/guesses on opening days at Tahoe areas?
Or plans for snowmaking start dates?
post #13 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy1 View Post

Any info/guesses on opening days at Tahoe areas?
Or plans for snowmaking start dates?

 

Squaw claims Nov 11-18 but that's meaningless without the weather cooperating.  Northstar / Heavenly usually opens around Thanksgiving.

 

It's pretty warm here right now (shorts and flip-flops still) but supposed to start cooling down as we move into October.

post #14 of 114

And Mt. Rose is advertising October 31 but with same caveat that JayT mentioned above.

post #15 of 114

I know it's not exactly weather related, but I recently moved to the Bay Area and with what little is left after paying rent prices here I'm hoping to use my epicpass at some of their tahoe resorts. 

 

Has anyone used any of the ski buses? Is this a good option for a quick trip out there? I have any EpicPass because I'll be in Colorado for about 10 days of skiing, so I'd prefer to do one of those resorts and I know the Bay Area Ski Bus charges a lower amount for non-lift ticket bus rides.

 

If anyone's used that I have a few more specific questions to ask if you don't mind.

post #16 of 114
post #17 of 114

thanks! unfortunately though many of those links are dead. I was hoping to get a personal take on the two bus services I see out there: NACSki and the Bay Area ski bus. But I don't want to monopolize the thread. 

post #18 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoraster View Post
 

thanks! unfortunately though many of those links are dead. I was hoping to get a personal take on the two bus services I see out there: NACSki and the Bay Area ski bus. But I don't want to monopolize the thread. 

 

You're welcome to start a new one to ask specifically about those bus services! There may be others with the same question.

post #19 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy1 View Post

Any info/guesses on opening days at Tahoe areas?
Or plans for snowmaking start dates?

 

Squaw claims Nov 11-18 but that's meaningless without the weather cooperating.  

What's the world record for laps in a day on Goldcoast?

post #20 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoraster View Post
 

I know it's not exactly weather related, but I recently moved to the Bay Area and with what little is left after paying rent prices here I'm hoping to use my epicpass at some of their tahoe resorts. 

 

Has anyone used any of the ski buses? Is this a good option for a quick trip out there? I have any EpicPass because I'll be in Colorado for about 10 days of skiing, so I'd prefer to do one of those resorts and I know the Bay Area Ski Bus charges a lower amount for non-lift ticket bus rides.

 

If anyone's used that I have a few more specific questions to ask if you don't mind.

I've used them numerous times, and sometimes even go as a "tour lead" on them.  I've always gone with NAC ski, although there is at least one more company that does it.  NAC is a bit cheaper I believe, but you do not get wine (not sure if the other company does bbq as well). I've never had any problems w/ them, please feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

post #21 of 114
Is the blob right at Washington state similar to the ridge from year past?
https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/chem/surface/level/overlay=cosc/orthographic=-122.72,35.95,924/loc=-110.077,34.407

The interactive map is very cool to play around. You can see windspeed at any point on earth.
post #22 of 114

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridiculously_Resilient_Ridge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blob_(Pacific_Ocean)

Quote:
 This ridge of high pressure has contributed to a blob of high water temperatures in the Pacific Ocean, which has in and of itself caused changes in weather patterns for North America.[7] However, causality is not established whether the RRR exists because of the blob, or the blob exists because of the RRR.
post #23 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

What's the world record for laps in a day on Goldcoast?


Ha, a few years ago early season there was a small jump line through the trees on the skier's left that was actually pretty fun, where you could boost off a couple of tree stumps.  I did way more GC laps that day than I ever would have imagined.  If it's just the groomer though?  4-5 laps max and then time to hit the bar...

post #24 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

What's the world record for laps in a day on Goldcoast?


Ha, a few years ago early season there was a small jump line through the trees on the skier's left that was actually pretty fun, where you could boost off a couple of tree stumps.  I did way more GC laps that day than I ever would have imagined.  If it's just the groomer though?  4-5 laps max and then time to hit the bar...

4-5 just about does it for me as well. 

post #25 of 114

Wow, came on here for first time in a few weeks to see if there was anyone talking about the snow but El Nadda.  Maybe that's a good thing?  Less hype this year, more snow...

post #26 of 114

Guys and ladies,  I have a nice 3 bdrm / 2 bath timeshare overlooking Heavenly's Stage Coach lift. I can only be there Saturday Feb 18th thru Wednesday morning this year. If any responsible party would like a great hook up Wednesday thru Saturdays normal check out time, sent me a pm. I was thinking $450 for the 3 days/nights lodging, but I am open to a best offer.

post #27 of 114

I'll be working at Heavenly this year.

 

Will actually be my first time skiing South Lake.

post #28 of 114

I saw posts on TGR that Kirkwood's chair 6 (aka Cornice, their only high-speed chair that is steep) was damaged in storm that I assume was the weekend of Oct. 15-16. It sounded like a tree fell and did more than minor damage. Has anyone heard anything more about this or is anyone in the area to take a look at it?

 

I did a search before posting and found a very negative video that says "One of the towers was twisted and toppled and several chairs were crushed. Good thing it happened before the ski season and nobody was on the chair when it came down. Replacing the tower and the foundation will be challenging before the snow starts to fall"

post #29 of 114

as of yesterday Kirkwood was saying nothing on its website, twitter, or facebook. 

I don't think you can order a lift tower from Amazon. I imagine they're not saying much until they know what it will take to get a new tower. Unless they have to dig a new foundation, the snow shouldn't stop them from replacing the tower. Snowbird closed part of the mountain early last spring to do lift work while the snow was still on the ground to protect the ground. 

post #30 of 114
Thread Starter 

I've received word that they're doing everything they can to get it fixed.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke