or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › 2016-17 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, MD, west PA)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2016-17 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, MD, west PA) - Page 3

post #61 of 111

Not that I know of- that date came from Snowtime.

post #62 of 111
Thread Starter 

There's been quite a bit of discussion on DCSki about whether or not Snowshoe was continuing as part of the Resort Swap perk for season pass holders.  It's finally clear that Snowshoe is not included.  The places still working together are 7Springs, Hidden Valley, Blue Knob, and Wisp.

post #63 of 111
Thread Starter 

Beech is having an early season sale on season passes.  Starting Oct. 3, the first 200 passes will be sold for $400.  The regular price is $525 for an adult.

 

Beech finally created a separate terrain park on a side trail with a separate surface tow, snowmaking, and lights.  That means Lower Powder Bowl will be an open trail for everyone else now that the terrain park won't be in the middle any more.  The area was cleared several years ago but other additions and upgrades took priority.

 

http://www.skisoutheast.com/beech-mountain-resorts-new-terrain-park-expands-options-for-riders-and-creates-more-skiable-terrain/

post #64 of 111
Thread Starter 

If you want a place to see ski swaps in the DC/Baltimore area, here is an online calendar that's being updated.

 

http://skidome.org/skidome2/calendar/

post #65 of 111
Thread Starter 

Important addition.  The Ski Liberty Ski Patrol Swap has moved to Princeton Sports in Columbia, MD on October 30:

http://www.princetonsports.com/skiswap

 

Oct. 1:   Ski Haus in Annapolis

Oct. 1:  REI Member Sale (most locations)

Oct. 1-2: Alpine Ski Shop in Sterling - benefits Timberline Ski Patrol

Oct. 1-2 World Cup -  Mechanicsburg PA

 

Oct. 8 Bikles'  Hagerstown MD

Oct. 8-9 Mountainside Sports  Mechanicsburg PA


Oct. 15-16: Liberty Mountain Fall Fest has a swap
Oct. 22: Whitetail Festival Ski and Board Swap

Oct. 30: Princeton Sports, Columbia, MD - benefits Liberty Ski Patrol

 

Nov. 5:   Ski Haus in Annapolis
Nov. 5-6: Roundtop Fall Fest has new and used gear
Nov. 5-6: Freestyle in Charlottesville

Nov. 5-6: Alpine Ski Shop Sterling

 

Nov. 12-13  Sun and Ski Chantilly

Nov. 12-13  Baltimore Ski Swap - Towson

 

Nov. 20 Pro-Fit Leesburg (Whitetail Ski Patrol)
Nov. 25: Wintergreen swap - benefits Wintergreen Ski Patrol

post #66 of 111
Thread Starter 

The buzz is growing about Laurel Mountain as the weather cools.

 

http://triblive.com/news/westmoreland/11223065-74/ski-mountain-laurel - 10/7/2016

post #67 of 111
Your link is broken @marznc

I think this is the right one :

http://triblive.com/news/westmoreland/11223065-74/ski-mountain-laurel
post #68 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

For those who haven't heard about it, I'm sure @Laurel Hill Crazie will be updating his thread about the Grand Opening.  Pretty exciting to have a new ski area in the region.

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/147375/laurel-mountain-awaits-grand-opening

 

I live here now, and I don't even know how to get to the parking lot...:dunno

post #69 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
 

 

I live here now, and I don't even know how to get to the parking lot...:dunno

Take 22 east to New Alexandria turn right onto PA 981 about 5 to 7 miles to the traffic light. Turn left at the light (981 turns right to Latrobe). Continue several miles through the next light until the stop sign at PA 217, Turn right at the stop sign continue to next light PA 30. Go east on 30 toward Ligonier that will be a left turn after you go through the light, over the bridge at the stop sign. Continue on 30 through Ligonier and Laughlintown up the mountain to Laurel Summit Rd, turn right and continue past Laurel Mountain Village to the entrance on your right. Welcome to the best skiing on the Laurel Ridge.

post #70 of 111
Thread Starter 

If I understand this video correctly, AT&T installed DAS (distributed antenna system) at Snowshoe in 2016. They put in over 200 boxes. That should mean ATT customers will be able to use their cell phones around Snowshoe this season.  

 

post #71 of 111

I was up there this summer.  Nothing on Verizon (my phone), but the guys with ATT phones got limited service out in the lot and village.  If you have ever tried to meet up with people anywhere near Green Bank you know it's a problem.  You can pass right by them, and you can't call or even radio.

post #72 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel Hill Crazie View Post
 

Take 22 east to New Alexandria turn right onto PA 981 about 5 to 7 miles to the traffic light. Turn left at the light (981 turns right to Latrobe). Continue several miles through the next light until the stop sign at PA 217, Turn right at the stop sign continue to next light PA 30. Go east on 30 toward Ligonier that will be a left turn after you go through the light, over the bridge at the stop sign. Continue on 30 through Ligonier and Laughlintown up the mountain to Laurel Summit Rd, turn right and continue past Laurel Mountain Village to the entrance on your right. Welcome to the best skiing on the Laurel Ridge.


@Laurel Hill Crazie :  Thanks for the info.  I was wondering how are the roads to Laurel mtn. in winter?  I plan to pay a visit next season and I will be coming from Northern Virginia.  

post #73 of 111
Thread Starter 

Winterplace in southern WV is going to work with SnowOperating for terrain based instruction this season.  Cataloochee in NC was one of the first to work with SnowOperating.  The consulting firm has been working with Killington and Snowbasin as well.

 

I got to use the Snowbasin terrain as part of a semi-private lesson (3 advanced skiers).  Our instructor used to be the Director of the Snowbasin ski school.  We used the rollers and banked turns to practice 1-leg skiing.  Was quite something to see my friend who had never skied on 1-ski before learn how to make it happen as part of a 2-hour lesson.

post #74 of 111
Thread Starter 

Snowshoe has started testing snow guns!  Pic from Silver Creek on Instagram.

 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BL_dpinDSYp/

post #75 of 111

i assume everyone has seen the Whitegrass headliner pic?

post #76 of 111
Thread Starter 

In case folks in DC/NoVA reading this thread missed it . . .

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosphenytoin View Post
 

The Snowshoe 3 For All card is back
AND AVAILABLE AT SELECT REI STORES FOR $139 (PLUS TAX) IN NOVEMBER!

The Snowshoe 3 For All Card offers cardholders three days of skiing or snowboarding at Snowshoe Mountain, with no blackouts or holiday restrictions. Card does not have to be used on consecutive days. Limit 10 cards per customer. Valid through the last day of the 2016-2017 winter ski and snowboard season. While supplies last. 

Get yours at the following REI Locations: 
Saturday, November 5th: Tysons Corner, VA and DC Flagship 
Sunday, November 6th: Bailey’s Crossroads, VA and Rockville, MD 
Saturday, November 12th: Fairfax, VA and Richmond, VA 
Sunday, November 13th: Woodbridge, VA

 

https://www.snowshoemtn.com/plan-your-trip/deals-and-packages/3-for-all

post #77 of 111
Thread Starter 

I hear Snowshoe is ramping up their snowmaking.

post #78 of 111
Thread Starter 

Are you a beginner in the DC area?  Or know a beginner who doesn't own skis?  Or want to get somebody started on skis?  If so, keep reading.

 

Discovered that the Snowtime ski areas have created a 4-lesson package for adult beginners (18+) that includes a pair of Elan skis after the third lesson.  That means can sign up with Whitetail, Roundtop, or Liberty.  Once the package is done, get 40% discount on future lift tickets at any of the Snowtime locations.

 

http://www.skiwhitetail.com/content/own-mountain

 

http://www.libertymountainresort.com/winter-sports-liberty/tickets-packages/lessons-packages/own-mountain-package

 

https://www.skiroundtop.com/own-the-mountain

 

Catalooche in NC has had a similar package for several years.  One beginner Bear took advantage of it and was quite happy.

 

Of course, still have to buy boots.  In the DC area, makes the most sense to send people to the Brians, who are working at the Ski Shoppe  in Reisterstown as of Nov 2016.

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/147084/brian-eardley-and-brian-beaumont-formerly-at-ski-center-in-dc-where-are-they#post_2029248

post #79 of 111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

I hear Snowshoe is ramping up their snowmaking.


Weather didn't cooperate.  Snowshoe probably won't have skiing for the Thanksgiving weekend.  Aiming for the first weekend of Dec.

 

At least SkiSE is starting to write articles about snow and cold weather. :rolleyes

post #80 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 


Weather didn't cooperate.  Snowshoe probably won't have skiing for the Thanksgiving weekend.  Aiming for the first weekend of Dec.

 

At least SkiSE is starting to write articles about snow and cold weather. :rolleyes


Yep, I just cancelled my snowshoe hotel booking for the x'mas break. 

post #81 of 111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosphenytoin View Post


Yep, I just cancelled my snowshoe hotel booking for the x'mas break. 

You might want to watch the weather in Davis, WV.  I think you could have a good time at Canaan Valley as a warm up for the season.  They added more snowmaking equipment for this season.  Certainly cheaper than Snowshoe.  Restaurant in the CV Lodge is pretty good.  Would be okay for a few days.

post #82 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post

Are you a beginner in the DC area?  Or know a beginner who doesn't own skis?  Or want to get somebody started on skis?  If so, keep reading.

Discovered that the Snowtime ski areas have created a 4-lesson package for adult beginners (18+) that includes a pair of Elan skis after the third lesson.  That means can sign up with Whitetail, Roundtop, or Liberty.  Once the package is done, get 40% discount on future lift tickets at any of the Snowtime locations.

http://www.skiwhitetail.com/content/own-mountain

http://www.libertymountainresort.com/winter-sports-liberty/tickets-packages/lessons-packages/own-mountain-package

https://www.skiroundtop.com/own-the-mountain

Catalooche in NC has had a similar package for several years.  One beginner Bear took advantage of it and was quite happy.

Of course, still have to buy boots.  In the DC area, makes the most sense to send people to the Brians, who are working at the Ski Shoppe  in Reisterstown as of Nov 2016.

http://www.epicski.com/t/147084/brian-eardley-and-brian-beaumont-formerly-at-ski-center-in-dc-where-are-they#post_2029248

I'll add that Brian Deeley at Pro-Fit in Leesburg is a good option. (Lots of Brian's in the DC area for some reason.)
post #83 of 111

So, no one likes 7S/Laurel for earlies (pre-Dec-15th)?

post #84 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
 

So, no one likes 7S/Laurel for earlies (pre-Dec-15th)?

 

I'm not holding my breath.

post #85 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
 

So, no one likes 7S/Laurel for earlies (pre-Dec-15th)?

 

I'm not holding my breath.

:hissyfit:

post #86 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
 

So, no one likes 7S/Laurel for earlies (pre-Dec-15th)?

 

Usually 7S will open if there is 4 solid days of good snowmaking weather...sub 28 with low humidity. My guess is they will not make snow at Laurel until the long term outlook is good for keeping what they make. 7S can open a few runs on the 340 vertical front but Laurel needs enough cold to make snow on its entire drop...900 no, 810, no, 761 vertical and over a mile in length. 

post #87 of 111
Thread Starter 

Assuming all goes according to plan, Cataloochee is opening on Monday morning, Nov. 21, 2016.  SkiSE is going to broadcast live starting at 8:50am.

 

http://www.skisoutheast.com/join-us-cataloochee-ski-area-monday-morning-opening-day/

post #88 of 111
Thread Starter 

There will be skiing Thanksgiving weekend at Snowshoe!  Also plenty of snow in Davis for those willing to hike.  Anyone headed to WV on Friday?

 

Snowshoe FB:

OPENING DAY UPDATE: The lifts start spinning and the ropes drop at 9:00AM this Friday, November 25th! We will open with limited, top-to-bottom beginner terrain in the Central Basin in time for the Holiday weekend, with both Ballhooter and Powder Monkey lifts running. The #MountaineerParkscrew will have a fun little set-up on Lower Powder Monkey for those of you just itching to jib something.

Come on up and enjoy a fun, family Thanksgiving on the Mountain and then ski off all of that turkey and stuffing the next day. Our holiday plans call for great food, music and family events, including the traditional holiday tree-lighting and caroling in the village.

Special thanks to our snowmaking crew for working so hard to make it happen!

With the long-range forecast for continuing weather and cold temp cooperation, we anticipate expanding terrain as normal and we believe all looks great heading into a snowy December. Who’s ready? 

post #89 of 111
Seven Springs and Hidden Valley will both be opening on Friday!
post #90 of 111
Go on the website and look at the webcam Seven Springs is looking really good
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › 2016-17 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, MD, west PA)