or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sun Peaks BC, 2016/17 Season - Page 2

post #31 of 80
Thread Starter 

Snowing at the house..... The view from my front door.

 

 

post #32 of 80
Thread Starter 

Update,...... Oh,.... This looks MUCH better !!

 

 

post #33 of 80
Thread Starter 

Tis a beautiful sight for early October from my front door......

 

 

 

 

 

post #34 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSatSP View Post
 

Tis a beautiful sight for early October from my front door......

 

Nice! Snow ghosts already!

post #35 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
 

 

Nice! Snow ghosts already!

 

 

Bottom line is that in all likelihood, most of that snow will disappear in the next week or so,..... & that's actually a good thing because we haven't had the seriously cold temps as yet in order to get the ground to freeze properly at alpine,.... & unfrozen ground kills snow bases very efficiently from beneath.

 

It is very nice to see though,..... Makes for a nice Thanksgiving gift to all of us that live here on the hill. 

 

:)

post #36 of 80

@MSatSP

 

I'm a Calgary resident here, who frequently travels into BC but haven't had the pleasure of seeing Sun Peaks yet.  I recently saw some ads here for Snowbombing, coming to SunPeaks this April.

 

I was curious if you've seen any insider/locals information about it?  

If you could share any news that pops up (mainly, I'm dying to know the lineup!), would be appreciated if you could share!

 

Thanks a bunch!

post #37 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendonR View Post
 

@MSatSP

 

I'm a Calgary resident here, who frequently travels into BC but haven't had the pleasure of seeing Sun Peaks yet.  I recently saw some ads here for Snowbombing, coming to SunPeaks this April.

 

I was curious if you've seen any insider/locals information about it?  

If you could share any news that pops up (mainly, I'm dying to know the lineup!), would be appreciated if you could share!

 

Thanks a bunch!

Hi Brendon,

 

Not much detail from a locals perspective as yet, other than the overall "it's coming" press releases from back in August.....

 

Happy to keep posting updates in here as they come to light (along with regular season stuff :) ) , but here's a couple of links to get going with....

 

http://snowbombing.com/news/snowbombing-hits-canada-in-april-2017-whats-it-all-aboot

 

 

http://www.snowbombingcanada.com/

 

 

& also, as things firm up, The Sun Peaks website events calendar for April 2017 will have a lot more details....

 

http://www.sunpeaksresort.com/events-and-festivals/events-calendar

 

 

:beercheer:

post #38 of 80
Thread Starter 

Now who doesn't like this in mid October...... This has all the hallmarks of something epic brewing...... Especially seeing as BC will get smashed by a triple front storm over the next 4 days.....

 

 

 

Snowfall
Reported at 7:28AM on October 13 
From the top of the Sunburst Express chairlift
Elevation: 1,855m (6,086')

November 19, opening day for winter operations.

Past 1 Hour 1 cm / 0 in
Past 12 Hours 7 cm / 3 in
Past 24 Hours 9 cm / 3 in
Past 48 Hours 10 cm / 4 in
Past 7 Days 48 cm / 19 in
These values are displayed in real time from our mid-mountain snow plot, located at 1,855m.
Snow Base
Mid-Mountain Snow Depth
Updated at 7:25AM on October 13 
Located at the top of the Sunburst Express chairlift
Elevation: 1,855m (6,086')
25 cm / 10 in
Temperatures
Updated at 7:25AM on October 13
Valley
Elevation: 1,255m (4,117')
-0.5 °C / 31.1 °F
Mid-Mountain 
Elevation: 1,855m (6,086')
-2.9 °C / 26.8 °F
Top of Morrisey Express
Elevation: 1,675m (5,495')
-4.3 °C / 24.3 °F
Top Of The World
Elevation: 2,080m (6,824')
-5.9 °C / 21.3 °F
post #39 of 80
Thread Starter 

Taken up top day before yesterday,..... From the Sun Peaks FB feed......

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #40 of 80

Wow...nice pictures.  I need to find a resort that will let me skin up and ski down early season and then after the season ends with my dogs.  They love the snow.

 


Edited by liv2 ski - 10/20/16 at 8:36am
post #41 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2 ski View Post
 

Wow...nice pictures.  I need to find a resort that will let me skin up and ski down early season and then after the season ends with my dogs.  They love the snow.

 

 

 

 

Our dog loves living here,.....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #42 of 80

Nice pictures. 

When I met my wife 37 years ago she had a dopey spaniel that pissed on everything I owned.  Needless to say, he kind of put me off on dogs.

Then I met some people with a Sheltie and I came to love that dog.  After trying to adopt a Sheltie, I ended up with two Keeshonds and now the American Alsatian and the wacky Malamute.

Needless to say, I now love the company of my dogs.  Having them out in the snow with me is like being at the beach with our kids for my wife.

post #43 of 80
Thread Starter 

Sun Peaks is an amazingly dog friendly resort & Drake (our Sheltie) is well known by all that live here,.... he's a Canadian Champion purebred & is super intelligent,..... he goes everywhere we go (except downhill,.... Although he has hiked a couple of slopes with me post season ;) ),... Including the Nordic trails where we also have quite a few people doing skijoring.

post #44 of 80

I live in a small community by the ocean in So Cal and everyone here knows my two also, as I walk them all over the island.  Kind of cool to have the dogs, as people love them and I end up talking to everyone.  When we get that Mercedes RV in a couple years we will definitely be in your area to say hi and hopefully get some runs in with you and Dano


Edited by liv2 ski - 10/21/16 at 5:35am
post #45 of 80

This thread has reminded me to look for accommodations this coming season. We were up for a week (around family day, poor choice of timing), last year and throughly enjoyed ourselves. Although the pre-pared restaurant food was quite lacking. I am hoping to find a suitable condo or townhouse to rent, instead of a hotel. If you have any leads let me know. I am flexible on timing as we own our own business.

post #46 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTomato View Post
 

This thread has reminded me to look for accommodations this coming season. We were up for a week (around family day, poor choice of timing), last year and throughly enjoyed ourselves. Although the pre-pared restaurant food was quite lacking. I am hoping to find a suitable condo or townhouse to rent, instead of a hotel. If you have any leads let me know. I am flexible on timing as we own our own business.

 

I'm not sure what the difference is between restaurant food and "pre-pared" restaurant food but I agree that the food at Sun Peaks is not likely to be anyone's visit highlight. but is still better dining than Kamloops. Oya Sushi is pretty good, a slice of Mountain High Pizza is an excellent economical quick lunch, Bollaco Cafe has the best coffee and some very good fresh made baked goods and sandwiches, Sunburst Cafe at the top of the bubble (Sunburst) chair is famous for their cinnamon buns.

 

For accommodation, @MSatSP might have something to suggest.

post #47 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
 

 

I'm not sure what the difference is between restaurant food and "pre-pared" restaurant food but I agree that the food at Sun Peaks is not likely to be anyone's visit highlight. but is still better dining than Kamloops. Oya Sushi is pretty good, a slice of Mountain High Pizza is an excellent economical quick lunch, Bollaco Cafe has the best coffee and some very good fresh made baked goods and sandwiches, Sunburst Cafe at the top of the bubble (Sunburst) chair is famous for their cinnamon buns.

 

For accommodation, @MSatSP might have something to suggest.

 

Ditto,..... I'm puzzled at that "pre-pared" reference.... :confused

 

I'll beg to differ on the food quality around the hill in general though.....

 

Never had a bad feed at Bella Italia, Powderhounds, Mantles, Cahilty Creek,..... Always very good quality,,,,, Masas has a new chef & they have improved their menu & quality enormously,.....Agreed that Oya is the absolute stand out.

 

Bottoms can be a bit hit & miss & I'd leave the steak house in the main village run well alone,..... Morrisey's Irish Pub has flashes of promise, but also LOTS of disappointment,... Toss a coin.

 

I will never eat at the Mexican place though,.... (mainly on principle)

 

Coffee is VERY subjective,...... For a long time I thought they burnt their coffee,...... Vertical Cafe does an honest coffee too though,.... As does Todd Mountain Cafe,.... At a pinch I could get a passable coffee from Scotty at 540 Cafe as well.

 

At the end of the day I'd rather make my own Espresso's & Latte's. ;)

post #48 of 80
Thread Starter 
Not sure if poster (green tomato) is serious......
Edited by MSatSP - 10/28/16 at 5:57am
post #49 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendonR View Post

@MSatSP


I'm a Calgary resident here, who frequently travels into BC but haven't had the pleasure of seeing Sun Peaks yet.  I recently saw some ads here for Snowbombing, coming to SunPeaks this April.

I was curious if you've seen any insider/locals information about it?  


If you could share any news that pops up (mainly, I'm dying to know the lineup!), would be appreciated if you could share!

Thanks a bunch!

Hey Brendon,

Some news here for you.

https://www.facebook.com/events/500733123458239/

smile.gif
post #50 of 80
Way to latch on the least important detail. "Pre-pared"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post

 

I'm not sure what the difference is between restaurant food and "pre-pared" restaurant food but I agree that the food at Sun Peaks is not likely to be anyone's visit highlight. but is still better dining than Kamloops. Oya Sushi is pretty good, a slice of Mountain High Pizza is an excellent economical quick lunch, Bollaco Cafe has the best coffee and some very good fresh made baked goods and sandwiches, Sunburst Cafe at the top of the bubble (Sunburst) chair is famous for their cinnamon buns.

 

For accommodation, @MSatSP might have something to suggest.

post #51 of 80
Wow. A lot of attitude. Thanks for your input. I was conferring with friends who are also year round locals and they argee the food is mostly subpar. No need to go any further I'll happily bow out of this thread.
post #52 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTomato View Post

Wow. A lot of attitude. Thanks for your input. I was conferring with friends who are also year round locals and they argee the food is mostly subpar. No need to go any further I'll happily bow out of this thread.

 

Good choice.

 

Given your vague approach initially & now the revelation that you have "local, year round" friends on the hill (which I very much doubt by the way, given your posting history & other claims), I'm not surprised you copped some attitude.

 

Bye.

 

:beercheer:

post #53 of 80
I'm a bit confused on whether the mis-hyphenated "pre-pared" is an intentional way of complaining that the food was cooked last week and reheated today (which I think is how it got interpreted) or just a misspelled "prepared". And not being familiar with the resort I'm still confused.

But I think the initial intent was to say they had a good time and want to come back. So, maybe not a nit worth pursuing?
post #54 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

I'm a bit confused on whether the mis-hyphenated "pre-pared" is an intentional way of complaining that the food was cooked last week and reheated today (which I think is how it got interpreted) or just a misspelled "prepared". And not being familiar with the resort I'm still confused.

But I think the initial intent was to say they had a good time and want to come back. So, maybe not a nit worth pursuing?

 

I know most the restaurant owners & the chefs that operate on the hill,.... I can guarantee that the part in bold ^^ does not happen,.... ever.

 

There's lots of other stuff that just doesn't gel though.

 

:beercheer:

post #55 of 80

Thanks a bunch @MSatSP - appreciate the heads up.

 

Definitely going to be looking into this, and trying to round up the whole posse this weekend for a final decision.  Looks like wristbands & beds go on sale Monday.

Can anyone comment on the general concept of actually skiing Sun Peaks in early April?  The only frame of reference I have is Silverstar at a similar time of year (Easter Break 2015), and it was like skiing in wet concrete...

post #56 of 80

All of the resorts in the B.C. interior close in early April for lack of people, not lack of snow.

 

Weather and snow conditions between Sun Peaks and Silver Star are comparable but once you get past mid March then winter conditions are over and you should expect anything from slush to corn snow to snowstorm or even rain.

 

In mid April I often go to Banff where the skiing is at higher elevation and open into May, but it can still rain or snow.

post #57 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendonR View Post
 

Thanks a bunch @MSatSP - appreciate the heads up.

 

Definitely going to be looking into this, and trying to round up the whole posse this weekend for a final decision.  Looks like wristbands & beds go on sale Monday.

Can anyone comment on the general concept of actually skiing Sun Peaks in early April?  The only frame of reference I have is Silverstar at a similar time of year (Easter Break 2015), and it was like skiing in wet concrete...

 

 

Lets face it,.... It's the end of the season & you can get a mixed bag.....

 

April 2015 delivered though.....

 

 

 

 

April 2016 was nice for other reasons,...... The sweet spot was at about 9am through midday.....

 

Just having a blast skiing big turns at speed with a mate (early 90's WC aerials skiier )

 

 

 

 

 

Bottom line,..... Go hard on whatever is out there for the morning & see how it goes. :)

post #58 of 80
Good to see you here @MSatSP. I've been lurking here for a while, mainly checking out opinions on 98-100mm all-mountain skis :-)

Looking forward to catching up in January.
post #59 of 80
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McSly View Post

Good to see you here @MSatSP. I've been lurking here for a while, mainly checking out opinions on 98-100mm all-mountain skis :-)

Looking forward to catching up in January.

 

Hi mate !!

 

Yep,..... Will be great to catch up for a slide & some calming ales,..... Oh,.... I have some of those "special" Innis & Gunn beers put away in the cellar,..... At least one has your name on it. :D

 

:beercheer:

post #60 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McSly View Post

Good to see you here @MSatSP. I've been lurking here for a while, mainly checking out opinions on 98-100mm all-mountain skis :-)

Looking forward to catching up in January.

 

Elevation Ski & Bike will be selling Nordica skis this coming season so there should be several lengths of the very popular Enforcer to try out.

 

Jardines are selling Blizzard skis so they should have the Bonafide.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel