I'm undecided if spending another winter in Whistler or go to another resort for something different.
I haven't ride in any Canadian resort other than Whistler last season, so it's difficult to make a decision based on the ski map and reviews.
The possible options are (in no particular order) Big White, Fernie, Kicking Horse, Lake Louise, Panorama, Silver Star, Sun Peaks and Sunshine.
Some of the things I really enjoyed in Whistler last season:
- Village next to the resort.
- Areas of Symphony, Emerald, 7th and mainly Excelerator.
This I didn't enjoy in Whistler:
- Crows. Didn't really enjoy being 30+ minutes in any chairlift on most weekends and powder days or having to be at 6am to do Fresh Tracks.
- Quality of snow. Mostly because I didn't know (or have that much technical skills) the mountain to find the fresh snow.
- Accommodation: With no secure accommodation for this winter yet, I am afraid not to find a place I want to live in..
Mainly looking for:
Ski in/out resort/village. Something like Big White would be ideal, but village at the base like Whistler works. Would prefer to avoid long distance/drives like Sunshine.
Glades runs. Areas similar Excelerator (Gnarly Knots) , the bottom part of Symphony, underneath P2P on Emerald.
Quality of snow. While we got 13 meters of snow this season I didn't really enjoy the quality of it, looking for dry/champagne powder
Fresh snow. Yeah, I didn't know the mountain, and I don't have the technical skills for the areas where powder last longer, but really didn't like that in my favorites areas (Excelerator, Emerald, etc..) all pow was gone in 20 minutes..
Nature/views. Looking to get more into photography and Ideally I'd like to spend some time in Banff but it's impossible to live there unless working local.
There are more factors to consider such as work opportunities but they are not the main ones such as terrain and quality of snow.
Thank you all!