or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Park City, Alta, Snowbird - want to hit them all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Park City, Alta, Snowbird - want to hit them all. - Page 2

post #31 of 40
That's alote of moving around
post #32 of 40

"da Bird" will be the place you remember as where you want to go back to (imagine MRG on mega-steroids but with a 21st century lift system AND snow!), but not uninteresting to go to PC for a couple of days too to see what they're all about (more of a Flatton / Nokemo experience in comparison).

 

And it's been suggested a couple of times, so I third it, that you should spend a day at Snowbasin, about 45 minutes to an hour from PC. There's trails but why take them when you can go all day and never come down the same way twice, plus it has the Olympic downhill run, and a great systems of Gondolas, and the incredible lodges (top and bottom) and, IMO, the best food of any area in the SLC area (yes, better than DV).

post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGolfAnalogy View Post

This might be historically true, but the last four years at Park City have been miserable. This year doesn't promise to be any better based on the current forecasts.I guess it might also depend on how you define "good coverage". Considering that the Cottonwoods will always have statistically more snow than Park City, I would only go there if the snowfall is above average, especially early in the season. It's just not worth the risk. At best you should try to keep your options open by not pre purchasing your tickets. Even Snowbasin and PowMow are better options for good early season coverage.

Alta/Snowbird base is 1500' higher and with that plus exposure coming up the canyon, they get a lot more snow than PC. PC had a good season last year. The season before was way down on snow like everywhere else, but the the runs were fine and skiing was good. January is plenty safe.

To the OP.....Snowbasin is a great mountain, very deluxe facilities, Sun Valley south. And for someone visiting here, they really should go see Deer Valley......very-very deluxe and no snowboards.
post #34 of 40

To help the OP, one more thing to consider is if you need a break day and are you all are in good ski shapeto ski 6days straight.

 

Assuming you all are not progressing technique wise.  

The strategy to do the easier resorts first to "warm up" doesn't work for me.  Whatever skills you might pick up is going to be cancelled out in terms of fatigue.  Typically for me, the subsequent days on the mountain cause you to get more tired not "warmed up".  You aren't going to be skiing better on your 3rd or 4th, 5th or 6th day, unless you were taking one of those days as a rest day.  

 

So, all things being equal, beyond a half-day or 1 day "warmup"; I suggest you do Snowbird early in your itinerary while you have the most energy; rather than "saving it" for after you "warmed up".    If the terrain is too much for you on day1 or day2, you aren't going to get better on day3 or day4 anyway.  

All the other resorts you can cruise to some degree and take an easy day and have fun, perhaps this says something about my ski level, but there is no way to take it easy at snowbird except sit in the lodge..

 

Of course, sometimes the weather or other circumstances may do that for you anyway; but my point is snowbird first while you have fresh legs.

post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytseng View Post
 

To help the OP, one more thing to consider is if you need a break day and are you all are in good ski shapeto ski 6days straight.

 

Assuming you all are not progressing technique wise.  

The strategy to do the easier resorts first to "warm up" doesn't work for me.  Whatever skills you might pick up is going to be cancelled out in terms of fatigue.  Typically for me, the subsequent days on the mountain cause you to get more tired not "warmed up".  You aren't going to be skiing better on your 3rd or 4th, 5th or 6th day, unless you were taking one of those days as a rest day.  

 

So, all things being equal, beyond a half-day or 1 day "warmup"; I suggest you do Snowbird early in your itinerary while you have the most energy; rather than "saving it" for after you "warmed up".    If the terrain is too much for you on day1 or day2, you aren't going to get better on day3 or day4 anyway.  

All the other resorts you can cruise to some degree and take an easy day and have fun, perhaps this says something about my ski level, but there is no way to take it easy at snowbird except sit in the lodge..

 

Of course, sometimes the weather or other circumstances may do that for you anyway; but my point is snowbird first while you have fresh legs.


As has been mentioned earlier, starting at Park City is not just about warming up in terms of skiing but can also be helpful for someone who needs to adjust to high altitude.

 

There certainly are ways to take it easy at Snowbird, but it can be hard to resist the advanced terrain.  I'm not talking about terrain for beginners, but for advanced skiers who don't have much experience out west.  Or in my case, an advanced skier who didn't feel like pushing hard for a few hours on Day 2 after flying into SLC from the flatlands.  Taking the free mountain tour is the easiest way to learn the mountain without getting into trouble.  Even covers Mineral Basin unless visibility is too low.

post #36 of 40

We have done the same vacation as you are planning 2 years in a row. Granted we did it later in the season so snow wasn't a worry at PC resorts. I'm not sure it is the first week of Jan. Others here know better then me. One trip we stayed in Park City and drove to Alta (1st and 4th day) and Snowbird (6th day) on the days we wanted to ski there. The next year we stayed a few day in PC then at Snowbird. Honestly, If I was to do it again I would stay at Alta the whole time and drive to PC on the days I wanted to ski there.

 

Reasons why:

1. Skiing is what matters to us and Alta is number 1 with all of us. We don't need nightlife, shops or a dozen restaurants.

2. Didn't like changing hotels (wife and 2 kids) halfway through the trip.

3. Elevation change didn't seem to effect us to much (we are from NJ). But honestly it might be for you, everyone is different. If you are getting into SLC late then stay in SLC that night and driving up to Alta the next morning might be better.

4. Driving between PC and Alta\Snowbird is fast. Rather do that then change hotels

5. And main reason, It just seemed more magical waking up, putting your skis on and hitting fresh powder at Snowbird and Alta.

 

My biggest piece of advice is to be flexible. It is amazing how storms hit 1 area and not the other. Even the same storm will have a different kind of snow. Once we where staying at the Canyons, they got 7 inches of fluffy stuff. But we drove that day to Deer Valley (we had already bought the lift tickets) and it was freezing rain. I regretted that for weeks!!

 

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps. 

post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytseng View Post
 

The strategy to do the easier resorts first to "warm up" doesn't work for me.  Whatever skills you might pick up is going to be cancelled out in terms of fatigue.  Typically for me, the subsequent days on the mountain cause you to get more tired not "warmed up".  You aren't going to be skiing better on your 3rd or 4th, 5th or 6th day, unless you were taking one of those days as a rest day.  

 

 I suggest you do Snowbird early in your itinerary while you have the most energy; rather than "saving it" for after you "warmed up".    If the terrain is too much for you on day1 or day2, you aren't going to get better on day3 or day4 anyway.  

All the other resorts you can cruise to some degree and take an easy day and have fun, perhaps this says something about my ski level, but there is no way to take it easy at snowbird except sit in the lodge..

 

Of course, sometimes the weather or other circumstances may do that for you anyway; but my point is snowbird first while you have fresh legs.

 

T^his is correct. Do the Bird on your first couple of days. You can always just cruise at Park Shitty afterwards, which is essentially all you'll do anyway, as there isn't a large amount of gnar-ness to really make you work. Not that it isn't a pleasant hill, but spend a couple of days letting it all hang out, THEN rack back at PC.

 

Mineral Basin, Road to Provo, Baldy - these are name you'll remember next summer.

post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post
 

 

Mineral Basin, Road to Provo, Baldy - these are name you'll remember next summer.

 

No, the ones the the OP should do are the Cirque, Gad Chutes/Pucker Brush, and Tiger Trail.  At Alta, do the Baldy Chutes and Gunsight.

post #39 of 40

I've been out there a bunch...one of my fav areas. We always hit a bunch of mountains when we are there, including the ones you mention.  We just find a easy hotel in or around the town of Murray.  That way you have an easy shot to each mountain each day.  For us that works better than changing hotels/condos.

post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathoner View Post
 

 

No, the ones the the OP should do are the Cirque, Gad Chutes/Pucker Brush, and Tiger Trail.  At Alta, do the Baldy Chutes and Gunsight.

"Eastern skiers.  Have never been out west"

 

Yeah, that's what they should do. :rolleyes

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Park City, Alta, Snowbird - want to hit them all.