This is my first post, and as much as I've been careful not to overstep, feel free to point me in the right direction if required.
A few words about myself (please bear with me, I feel it's relevant to the thread).
I'm a 33 year old beginner skier with about 4 days worth of experience last season. I discovered skiing and absolutely loved it, it's a wonder I'd never skied before...
I'm 178cm tall and weight around 155lbs (70kgs) give or take a couple of pounds (1kg). And last but not least I'm that annoyingly obsessed guy you know that spends every waking hour trying to figure out how to improve his game, and that's why I'm here posting today.
For my first adventure on the slopes I had bought a pair of second hand twin tip 178cm "Armada EL Rey 2015" skis for $100. I've been skiing comfortably (parallel) on all the blues and I'm pretty confident on the black diamonds I've seen/done, although ice patches are still the bane of my existence. I have had fun skiing backwards on the easier blues though I'm not that good at it (I keep flipping back to facing downhill without wanting to).
I also have never done any moguls and I don't use my ski poles (being self taught shows).
I plan on upgrading my gear (mostly boots and skis) though this thread is really only about the skis. I'm expecting my new gear to last at least 2 more seasons while I build up more experience and a clearer idea of what it is I want exactly.
I will be skiing more often/seriously starting this year and will mostly be doing groomed pistes on the US east coast (90%). And the remaining 10% will be skiing in Switzerland with some potential non-groomed, off pistes, park skiing, etc.
My experience with the current skis is that:
1) They feel like they're too long
2) They are mounted very central which I guess is normal for park skis, but it does not feel all that good for general groomed cruising.
The above + some extra research have led me to consider getting a pair of "FACTION Candide 1.0" skis. They come in two sizes that I feel are relevant to me. The 164cm and the 170cm. They're also ment to be mounted slightly off-center which is something I'm looking forward to.
This is a relatively expensive pair considering my lack of experience so I want to make sure I won't be regretting my choice before I hit a more advanced level (2 next seasons is my best guess).
Do you guys see any counter indications for buying these?
Do you think I should get the shorter or longer size? I kind of want to get the shorter ones for the extra control but I'm afraid I may regret it once I start feeling more comfortable and going faster.
Have any alternative suggestions?
Feel free to ask me any extra questions for info I might have omitted, and if you got this far and are still reading this... Thanks!
I really appreciate your feedback guys,