or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Looking for something wider
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for something wider

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Good evening guys. So now that all the northern resorts are advertising again, I've been hit by the itch. The only way to scratch that right now is to spend at too much time reading about skiing and gear.

Anyway, I am 5'7", range between 170-185lbs, and would classify myself as an advanced skier. I enjoy carving on piste, but prefer moguls, trees, and steeps. I live in New York City, so I expect to normally ski hard pack and small amounts of fresh. However, I 14 days out west last year, as well as 5 in Chamonix. 5 days in Japan the year before. This upcoming season I plan on at least 7 days out west (potentially Banff, and Revelstoke with its addition to the MC).

I currently ski on a 2015 Brahma at 173cm, and I love that ski. However, I sink deep in the deeper stuff, and know that a wider ski could perform better in deeper snow.

That said, since I'll still be primarily skiing east coast, I'm looking for something reasonable to add as a second ski.

I see that right now I can get some decent pricing on Volkl 100 Eights, or a few years older Cochise.

I would love some recommendations for a second ski, fatter than what I have, for western skiing, all mountain, but factoring in that I would like to stay under 600 including bindings.
post #2 of 15

There's a lot of options out there that fit your description.  Before I start making suggestions I have one question:

 

Do you want your second pair to be designated powder skis or do you want them to be more of a wider all mountain ski?  It might seem like a silly question, but there's so many different rocker/camber profiles and differences in construction that even in the 100-110mm underfoot, rockered ski category there's huge variation in performance in different terrain and conditions.

post #3 of 15

Go wider.... A 110 feels pretty narrow for what you are looking for. But per the above post - pinning down wants/needs would make sense.

post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 

Wider All-mountain.

 

I've been reading up, and the following skis keep coming up:

 

Blizzard Cochise

Line Supernatural 108

Volkl 100Eight

post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Keller View Post
 

Wider All-mountain.

 

I've been reading up, and the following skis keep coming up:

 

Blizzard Cochise

Line Supernatural 108

Volkl 100Eight

 

Okay cool.  Basically what I was trying to get a better understanding of is whether you want them to do the same thing as your Brahma through different snow conditions or if you want them to do different things in different snow conditions.  Hopefully that makes sense.

 

Coming off the Brahma we already know you enjoy Blizzard's Flipcore design, so I think the Cochise would be a safe bet, depending on what year. The 100Eight isn't going to plow through chopped up snow quite as well as the Cochise, but is much more maneuverable and playful.  The Line should fall somewhere in the middle of the two, although I have never skied the Supernatural 108, so I'm not 100% sure..  I have had plenty of runs on both the Cochise and 100Eight, however.  I am NOT referencing the 2017 Cochise here, as that is quite a bit different than previous years.  

post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiessentials View Post
 

 

Okay cool.  Basically what I was trying to get a better understanding of is whether you want them to do the same thing as your Brahma through different snow conditions or if you want them to do different things in different snow conditions.  Hopefully that makes sense.

 

Coming off the Brahma we already know you enjoy Blizzard's Flipcore design, so I think the Cochise would be a safe bet, depending on what year. The 100Eight isn't going to plow through chopped up snow quite as well as the Cochise, but is much more maneuverable and playful.  The Line should fall somewhere in the middle of the two, although I have never skied the Supernatural 108, so I'm not 100% sure..  I have had plenty of runs on both the Cochise and 100Eight, however.  I am NOT referencing the 2017 Cochise here, as that is quite a bit different than previous years.  

 

I think that's good way of differentiating. Basically, what I found is that skiing here on the east coast, my Brahmas are great. I find them to be fantastic on the groomers (especially when freshly tuned), and handle 2-6 inches of snow with no issues. Having taken them to the west, I found them to perform, but I got lucky, and caught 8 powder days between Tahoe, the Wasatch, and Summit county. While the Brahmas worked, I found that I was consistently bottoming out, riding really deep, and found it to be very tiring, and the skis a bit more sluggish.

 

So basically, I am looking for a ski that is similar, perhaps somewhat more responsive, but for deeper, fluffier conditions. The Brahmas would remain my daily driver here, though whatever ski I got, would probably be brought out when it was deeper here, and would be the one I take with me to fly west (I'm looking on maintaining a rate of 1-2 trips west each season).

 

For east coast, I spend a lot of time at Jay, Stowe, and Sugarbush, and I like the trees.

 

It seems that the biggest complaint people had with the Cochise is that it's heavy. However, I'll have to look in to what the changes are, as I thought this year's was the same as last year's.

post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiessentials View Post
 

 

Okay cool.  Basically what I was trying to get a better understanding of is whether you want them to do the same thing as your Brahma through different snow conditions or if you want them to do different things in different snow conditions.  Hopefully that makes sense.

 

Coming off the Brahma we already know you enjoy Blizzard's Flipcore design, so I think the Cochise would be a safe bet, depending on what year. The 100Eight isn't going to plow through chopped up snow quite as well as the Cochise, but is much more maneuverable and playful.  The Line should fall somewhere in the middle of the two, although I have never skied the Supernatural 108, so I'm not 100% sure..  I have had plenty of runs on both the Cochise and 100Eight, however.  I am NOT referencing the 2017 Cochise here, as that is quite a bit different than previous years.  

By the way, I bought my Brahmas from you guys. Hah, just realized who I was responding to.

post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Keller View Post

 as an advanced skier. I enjoy carving on piste, but prefer moguls, trees, and steeps.
 
 I'm looking for something reasonable to add as a second ski.

I see that right now I can get some decent pricing on Volkl 100 Eights,

I would love some recommendations for a second ski, fatter than what I have, for western skiing, all mountain, but factoring in that I would like to stay under 600 including bindings.

 

 

I think you're there. They'd make a great compliment for your Brahma, especially if you find a deal in your budget. 

post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Second question, do you feel that 173 or 181 would be a better size?
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Keller View Post

Second question, do you feel that 173 or 181 would be a better size?

 

I think 181 would be ideal.  173cm will be a little more prone to tip diving, etc in soft snow.  Since that's really the purpose of your second pair, I think the 181 is the way to go, especially since the 100Eight is on the lighter side of the skis we're discussing.  

 

The new Cochise no longer has metal and has carbon in the tips and tails.  They basically made it a narrower Spur/Bodacious instead of a wider Bonafide/Brahma, if that makes sense.  More of a drifty, surfy ski than it used to be.

 

Glad you're loving your Brahmas!  Definitely one of the best east coast daily driver skis.  

post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Keller View Post

Second question, do you feel that 173 or 181 would be a better size?

Ski them head height or a bit longer.
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Yeah, 173 is head height and the length of my Brahmas.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Keller View Post

Yeah, 173 is head height and the length of my Brahmas.

For some reason I was thinking you were 5'9".  At 5'7" you're kind of right in between, but 173cm might be better unless you like to ski really fast all over the place.

 

Basically 173 will be more maneuverable, 181 will be more stable at speed.  At your size, that's the trade off.

post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiessentials View Post

For some reason I was thinking you were 5'9".  At 5'7" you're kind of right in between, but 173cm might be better unless you like to ski really fast all over the place.

Basically 173 will be more maneuverable, 181 will be more stable at speed.  At your size, that's the trade off.

And that's a decision I have to make on my own, and it's so tricky.

Question for you, do they ski longer or shorter than the Brahmas at 173?
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Keller View Post


And that's a decision I have to make on my own, and it's so tricky.

Question for you, do they ski longer or shorter than the Brahmas at 173?

 

I think both skis feel pretty true to size.  The 100Eight does have a nice low swing weight, but I wouldn't necessarily say that it skis short.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Looking for something wider