Thanks for sharing. Great details and pics. Someday will get back to Chile but so many places, so little vacation time!
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryChile Ski Resortstagged by marznc, 9/14/16
Related Forum Threads
- Ski Chile 2016 Last post on 10/7/16 at 9:21am in International Zone
- Chile forecast 2015 Last post on 5/18/16 at 5:56am in International Zone
- New to Forum [advice for Chile in June, intermediate at Hunter] Last post on 3/25/15 at 12:43pm in International Zone
- Helli-skiing in The Andes Last post on 8/28/12 at 7:37am in Trip Reports
- What we did (or are doing) on our summer vacation Last post on 10/26/12 at 3:51pm in Trip Reports
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
This is the most incredibly over-the-top country-club-like resort we've been and we've skied all over USA. It's so cool I took pictures of the bathrooms! Beautifully done. Three gondolas keep...
I went to Maverick the day after a day at Big Sky and what a dramatic difference. As opposed to Big Sky's massive area (which seemed to me to ski much smaller than its size), hard skier packed...
Easily the best hill (let's not get crazy calling these mountains) in Minnesota. It's fairly spread out across four separate hills (though, I'd call them two). There's a gondola that connects the...
2016 Nevados de Chillan Trip Report - Page 2
Your timing was lucky indeed. Chillan closed Sept. 4 due to lack of snow:
Yes, saw that a while ago Tony. It is very sad indeed. I had said to Paul on that bluebird powder that I thought it would be the best day of the season. Sad that that turned out to be true. They just had some more snow yesterday but unfortunately not enough to re-open. Hopefully 2017 will be a better season, odds are that it will be!
Kirkwood did have to move a lot of snow around to make it to closing date of April 19, 2015 and there were a lot of dirty and bare places.
Nevados de Chillan re-opened for this weekend. See http://snowbrains.com/nevados-de-chillan-chile-will-reopen-this-weekend-after-large-snowfall-this-week/
tseeb illustrates my point. If Kirkwood had closed March 4 and reopened only for March 16-18, that is still much worse than what actually happened in 2015.
I chose Kirkwood for the analogy deliberately because it's the highest snowfall area in the Sierra, just as Chillan is the highest snowfall area in South America.
However, Chillan's average snowfall is probably not as high as Kirkwood's and its snow preservation is definitely worse due to much lower altitude at fairly similar latitude.
Very nice. Thank you for taking the time for such an informative educational post. This is the best unofficial or official guide I've found on Nevados de Chillan. Heading out there August 2017.
Thanks for the kind words and welcome to Epicski. It was a very lean winter by Nevados's standards but even then, we found some great snow and there is some really great terrain. If you like to hike a little, I think you could ski nothing but untouched lines your entire trip with relatively easy access from the resort. It's a special place for sure. I'll be there in August too hopefully, give me a yell if you are around.
- 2016 Nevados de Chillan Trip Report
- › L3 finally in the books 27 minutes ago
- › 2015 Tecnica Cochise 110 or Dynafit Radical CR boots for new AT setup? 1 hour, 44 minutes ago
- › Hip Rotation in second half of turn 2 hours, 11 minutes ago
- › [New Boots] What boot to look for my progress/aim 2 hours, 36 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 2 hours, 49 minutes ago
- › Looking for new skis to replace old K2 Escape 5500s 4 hours, 43 minutes ago
- › Should I be conservative or go for the better one? 4 hours, 49 minutes ago
- › When Couldn't You Keep Up? 5 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › ***** CHEAP & HIGH QUALITY SKI IN IRAN ***** 5 hours, 27 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 5 hours, 54 minutes ago
- › Kneebinding Knee Friendly Binding by barunrm
- › Snowbird by MBrady
- › Snowbasin by MBrady
- › Maverick Mountain by Roadrash
- › Lutsen Mountains by comfortstarr
- › Tremblant by jzmtl
- › Panorama Mountain Village by Pacobillie
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by vieuxcrouton
- › Mt. Baker by jhkc
- › Manning Park Resort by davidykay
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview
- › Fan Traverse Drill
- › Complete Ski Packages - Skip the Rental Line!