Thanks for sharing. Great details and pics. Someday will get back to Chile but so many places, so little vacation time!
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryChile Ski Resortstagged by marznc, 9/14/16
Related Forum Threads
- Ski Chile 2016 Last post on 10/7/16 at 9:21am in International Zone
- Chile forecast 2015 Last post on 5/18/16 at 5:56am in International Zone
- New to Forum [advice for Chile in June, intermediate at Hunter] Last post on 3/25/15 at 12:43pm in International Zone
- Helli-skiing in The Andes Last post on 8/28/12 at 7:37am in Trip Reports
- What we did (or are doing) on our summer vacation Last post on 10/26/12 at 3:51pm in Trip Reports
Great fitting liner and good performance. Lace up tongue give solid all around fit and with the power strap keep shin in contact with the tongue. The spot kit would help with tweaking those spots...
Great day use area for the Springfield /Eugene crowd. At 6000ft elevation it is above most of the Oregon rain. With 1500 feet of drop off a high speed six pack it is a real ski area. No Lodging No...
Why ski here? -Blue Mountain is probably the best value in Eastern Pennsylvania. It has two high-speed, top-to-bottom lifts. That means you can get a ton of skiing in. At nearby mountains like Elk...
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
2016 Nevados de Chillan Trip Report - Page 2
Your timing was lucky indeed. Chillan closed Sept. 4 due to lack of snow:
Yes, saw that a while ago Tony. It is very sad indeed. I had said to Paul on that bluebird powder that I thought it would be the best day of the season. Sad that that turned out to be true. They just had some more snow yesterday but unfortunately not enough to re-open. Hopefully 2017 will be a better season, odds are that it will be!
Kirkwood did have to move a lot of snow around to make it to closing date of April 19, 2015 and there were a lot of dirty and bare places.
Nevados de Chillan re-opened for this weekend. See http://snowbrains.com/nevados-de-chillan-chile-will-reopen-this-weekend-after-large-snowfall-this-week/
tseeb illustrates my point. If Kirkwood had closed March 4 and reopened only for March 16-18, that is still much worse than what actually happened in 2015.
I chose Kirkwood for the analogy deliberately because it's the highest snowfall area in the Sierra, just as Chillan is the highest snowfall area in South America.
However, Chillan's average snowfall is probably not as high as Kirkwood's and its snow preservation is definitely worse due to much lower altitude at fairly similar latitude.
Very nice. Thank you for taking the time for such an informative educational post. This is the best unofficial or official guide I've found on Nevados de Chillan. Heading out there August 2017.
Thanks for the kind words and welcome to Epicski. It was a very lean winter by Nevados's standards but even then, we found some great snow and there is some really great terrain. If you like to hike a little, I think you could ski nothing but untouched lines your entire trip with relatively easy access from the resort. It's a special place for sure. I'll be there in August too hopefully, give me a yell if you are around.
- 2016 Nevados de Chillan Trip Report
- › What are the best ski cars? 17 minutes ago
- › Jackson Hole compared/contrasted(not vs) to Whistler 30 minutes ago
- › WTB: late 70's to mid 80's hart skis and series 1 S727s. 49 minutes ago
- › RIP EpicSki 1999-2017 58 minutes ago
- › Epic Ski Archives Project 1 hour, 16 minutes ago
- › My Excellent Toe Surgery Adventure - Hallux Rigidus, Plate/Screw... 1 hour, 47 minutes ago
- › Death Bed Confessions 1 hour, 52 minutes ago
- › My final thank you, good by and farewell VIDEO @ EpicSki - please... 2 hours, 41 minutes ago
- › Who is the ultimate thread "killer"? 2 hours, 50 minutes ago
- › Fischer Motive 95 – 174 or 180? 3 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › 2018 K2 Marksman Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review