My wife currently uses Soul 7s, Atomic Trackers, Black Diamond Ascension skins, and alpine boots (no walk mode) for touring and inbounds powder days. Up to this point, touring has been day trips only (some shorter - 4 hours, some longer - 8 hours). She enjoys touring, but this is too heavy and inefficient of a setup for longer trips. We are spending a week at a backcountry lodge next season, and I want to make this enjoyable for her so she'll continue backcountry skiing with me.
I'm trying to figure out the best way to lighten this up for touring, without adding a new pair of skis to the quiver - she still wants to use them inbounds. What do you think about my plan below?
- Remount the Soul 7s with Cast SI&I plates to swap out Dynafit toe piece and alpine bindings
- Dynafit toe piece for the way up, and...
- Salmon STH12 for the way down
- Replace nylon Ascension skins with something that glides better
- Replace Alpine boots with boots that are tech and alpine compatible